PDA

View Full Version : Cocetina Dust Covers for Nolex Radial Saw

Gestalt
4th December 2013, 08:37 PM
Hi Guys, Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to replace these with. I've just bought this old Nolex and it really needs some refurbishing.
Thanks for any help.

dr4g0nfly
5th December 2013, 07:08 AM
They look like Tarpaulin Canvas to me.

Rod Gilbert
5th December 2013, 08:20 AM
Hi Gestalt,
What are the aprox dimensions.
Regards Rod.

Gestalt
5th December 2013, 09:49 AM
Hello Rod and dr4g0nfly, they are around 75mm diameter and 450mm long.
You could be right dr4g0nfly. They are some type of fabric. They also have a seam down the length. I guess making some new ones from canvas would be as good as anything. I could probably adapt rubber bellows type shrouding if those sizes were available.

Rod Gilbert
5th December 2013, 10:21 AM
I was asking for the size to compare with my Makita 12"SCMS the bellows on it are about the right dia. but are shorter with 2 lengths(one either side of the guide for the sliding bar) that make up the cover on that saw the total length of both would be about what length you need don't know if this helps you or not possibly making them out of fabric might be the best option.
Regards Rod.

Gestalt
6th December 2013, 06:58 AM
Hello Rod, Thanks for checking those sizes. I think you may be right. I'll just make something up.
Since my initial posting I've completely stripped it down and found one collapsed bearing and two that were seized up. I may have to get the linear bar reground due to the wear.

Rod Gilbert
6th December 2013, 07:58 AM
I imagine it will be well worth it when repaired good luck with the restoration how about some photo's of the work in progress I am sure there will be some interested members.
Regards Rod.

Gestalt
6th December 2013, 10:54 PM
Hello Rod and others, Yes I'm happy to post some pictures and keep an update of the restoration progress. I'm not really sure about the history of Nolex, but from a quick Google check it seems they ceased operations in 1986. I would imagine this saw is 40 - 50 years old. Maybe older. The fact that it has a bakerlite tightening knob for the guard would suggest pre 70's.
The age of this machine got me thinking about the number of cycles the arm must have done over it's lifetime.
I'm really only guessing here, but imagine this.
Let's say the machine is 50 years old and it was used in a production saw mill environment for that duration. It would probably be reasonable to say that it averaged a cycle time of two cuts per minute over 8 hours.
That's say 120 cuts per hour times 2000 hours per year times 50 years gives 12 million cuts. Could this be possible?
Well given the state of the bearings and the linear shaft I would say this figure could be conservative.
Here are some pictures of the initial disassembly.

Rod Gilbert
7th December 2013, 07:51 PM
Always good to see someone who is prepared to give some new life to an old machine a bit of TLC and it will serve you well again for many years to come and yes those numbers are quite possible for commercially used machine, my arm certainly feels like it has done those sort of numbers so far in my life time on numerous machines.(Thanks for the photos)
Regards Rod.