PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Bullet Pens

Ironwood
6th December 2013, 09:09 PM
I made these a little while ago. The 50 cal was my prototype, it got treated to some clear ceramic coating ( Ceracoat ) after this photo. It has since been sold, but it came back for warranty work last week, the Cigar tranny failed and had to be replaced.

The 30-06 sitting on top was donated to the local RSL, it was raffled off on Remembrance Day at the local Pub. It raised $350 for the RSL, which will be put to good use.

tdrumnut
6th December 2013, 09:13 PM
Nice work Brad, and good coin raised for a good cause

gawdelpus
6th December 2013, 09:47 PM
I havn't tried the ceracoat, I use powdercoating ,from memory the ceracoat can be applied with an airbrush and is ready to go as soon as it's finished , very quick drying :) . It's a shame about some of these transmissions not being up to scratch ,and brand doesn't seem to come into it :( . If you use a cigar tube and coupler they are easy to change though :). As I said in an earlier post today I am out of solid brass projectiles,but have a handful of the lead and copper jacketed ones ,so they will be my next 50 cals. Luckily my customers are more taken by the overall pen than the components used :). Nice work on both of the ones you have shown, and sometimes its nice to see a pen after its been released in the wild to see how it is standing up in use. Cheers~ John

MBUMIK
6th December 2013, 10:13 PM
well done mate

i bet the donation was well received by everyone, including the winner

i also like the knocked around look on these real bullet pens, gives them some character

all the best

MIK

Ironwood
7th December 2013, 07:13 AM
I havn't tried the ceracoat, I use powdercoating ,from memory the ceracoat can be applied with an airbrush and is ready to go as soon as it's finished , very quick drying :) . It's a shame about some of these transmissions not being up to scratch ,and brand doesn't seem to come into it :( . If you use a cigar tube and coupler they are easy to change though :). As I said in an earlier post today I am out of solid brass projectiles,but have a handful of the lead and copper jacketed ones ,so they will be my next 50 cals. Luckily my customers are more taken by the overall pen than the components used :). Nice work on both of the ones you have shown, and sometimes its nice to see a pen after its been released in the wild to see how it is standing up in use. Cheers~ John

John, just be careful with the jacketed projectiles. The ones I got have got some sort of white powder in the tip, nobody seems to know what it is. One thing I do know is its very corrosive, where it got on my collet chuck has gone rusty. I have thrown them all in the bin, I have got hold of a box of Hornady A-MAX's, I will be using them on all my future pens.

Yes, the transmission issue is very disappointing.

Ironwood
7th December 2013, 07:34 AM
well done mate

i bet the donation was well received by everyone, including the winner

i also like the knocked around look on these real bullet pens, gives them some character

all the best

MIK

Thanks MIK. Yes the guys that run the RSL here were very happy to receive the pen. The winner was an Ex-Serviceman that looks after "Anzac Park" here in the town where I live, he keeps it looking nice all year round. I am happy that it went to someone like him.

gawdelpus
7th December 2013, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the tip Brad, may be its an incendary ,but no real idea ? , was it hard to get the hornabys as I have been waiting months for a small order of solid brass projectiles from woodleigh .via a local gun shop ,I have enough cases for a while but even they can be hard to track down these days ,in the end its the land of guns that seems to be the best option. Cheers ~ John

Ironwood
7th December 2013, 09:37 AM
John, your fmj's may vary to mine, just be wary though.

I had to order the Hornady's, I waited about 2 weeks for them to come.

artme
7th December 2013, 05:50 PM
Great pens Brad!! And a great result for the RSL!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nai84
8th December 2013, 05:19 PM
Awesome work mate top notch job as always

Ian