PDA

View Full Version : Some recent wood turnings.

Sturdee
7th December 2013, 07:42 PM
Last week when I was posting some of my recent turnings I forget to post the couple of turnings I did using actual wood. But as I like to use unusual materials (I know that it's a phase I'm going through :U ) these couple are no exception.

The first is a little bowl from 112 year old Jarrah wine barrel board (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f222/jarrah-wine-barrel-boards-155135/) that I got through _FLY_ earlier this year. Beautiful timber to work with and the residual smell is lovely. Finish is 2 coats of Minwax Antique Oil followed with Ubeaut's traditional wax.

Here are the photos showing the side and bottom.

296313 and 296314

Enjoy,

Peter.

Sturdee
7th December 2013, 07:49 PM
The timber in the other one is burned American oak. I was told that it is burned in a controlled kiln and all the moisture is removed and the process makes it ideal for outside cladding of log cabins. It's able to withstand the summer heat and in the winter the prolonged build up of snow.

I was fortunate enough to get a small box of off cuts and as it still has a slight smell of the burning a tea light holder seemed appropriate.

Finish is as above, which although it darkens it a bit is a very easy finish to apply.

Here are the photos showing the top and bottom.

296315 and 296316

Enjoy,

Peter.

Christos
7th December 2013, 10:16 PM
Very nicely made.

mach70
7th December 2013, 11:49 PM
Very Nice.
I love the colour in the Jarrah Bowl.
The smell off the old barrels is amazing. I have only done the JD's & JB's ones and love the smell.
The sandalwood also is great as the smell lingers for days, especially if I leave the shavings around.

Cheers

Shawn

Bluegum
12th December 2013, 03:54 PM
Very nice there Sturdee. Love the colour in the jarrah mate.:2tsup: