PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Perth WA

Vaper
11th December 2013, 11:00 PM
Hi all

Been lurking around the forums for awhile now and finally decided to join.

Im very new to the woodworking world but very keen and have found the forums a gold mine of information.

no doubt I will ask some stupid questions along the way ... but coming from a computer literate background I do know how to use the search function :;

So Im looking forward to getting to know all of you and thanks in advance for the answers to any of My questions.

Regards

Vaper (A.K.A Rob)

BobL
12th December 2013, 09:50 AM
Welcome aboard Rob,

We're pretty good at dealing with any stupid questions and some members can even occasionally be relied on to provide a stupid answer or two in return.:D

Seriously there are no "stupid" questions in my book. Some new members have asked questions that are often too open ended (e.g. I am starting to get into woodworking what tools should I buy?) which are a bit frustrating and others clearly indicate they did not search the forums.

BTW if the search function turns up too many posts you may want to use google and add the term "site:www.woodworkforums.com/option add forum number here". I use this a fair bit as you probably know the "+" and "-" terms can be used to great effect to refine searches.

Cheers

DaveTTC
12th December 2013, 10:34 AM
Welcome aboard bob

Keep an eye out for forum get togethers they are great too. If you happen to be across the other side of the country for Australia Day weekend I'm having one here.

Stupid questions are fine. Using the search function can be a pain in the proverbial sometimes.

See you round

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

old1955
12th December 2013, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the forum Rob.

tdrumnut
12th December 2013, 04:31 PM
Gidday & welcome aboard Rob, may your journey with us be a pleasant one.

Vaper
13th December 2013, 01:49 AM
Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone

I look forward to any perth meets that happen ... always good to meet new people and pick their brains (in a none Zombie fashion of course)

luckily enough I did read a great deal on these forums before buying some tools

at present I own a triton work center with a trition saw attached, the portable triton saw bench (although not being used at the moment) , a Triton router table complete with TRA001 (the old version)
along with triton biscuit joiner, planer attachment,finger cutter, bevel ripper, large and small side stands and sawdust vacuum system (might have missed a few bits) ... all which I got for what I consider a good price,
plus a bosch GCM10M compound mitre saw which was on special offer.

so far Im having fun building My first work bench ... taking it nice and easy and being extra careful not to lose any fingers in the process lol

JJF
13th December 2013, 06:53 AM
welcome aboard

Christos
13th December 2013, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the forum.

DaveTTC
13th December 2013, 09:45 AM
Hope you do a WIP on your bench. We love pics

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Vaper
13th December 2013, 12:31 PM
Hope you do a WIP on your bench. We love pics

Dave

The Turning Cowboy
Thanks again for the welcomes :)

I must be slow this morning ...it took Me a nano second to figure out what WIP is lol

if you can put up with My picture taking Im sure I can sort something out dave

My aim is to make the bench the same height as My triton benches (900mm according to triton) ... but at the moment Im still trying to decide if I should put locking castors on the bottom for ease of movement or just adjustable feet as Im not 100% sure that the garage floor is level.

Timless Timber
13th December 2013, 01:13 PM
Welcome aboard indeed from another Perth member.

Just holler if you get stuck.

I'm located North of the River if that's any help.

Always happy to help out.

Re castors - have you considered these at all?

hover_site (http://www.hoverbench.com/)

Not that much dearer than heavy duty castors and you get the benefit of a very sturdy work platform when it sits on the ground. :wink:

Cheers!

Godfrey
13th December 2013, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the forum. I too live in Perth but up in the hills

Vaper
14th December 2013, 07:17 AM
Welcome aboard indeed from another Perth member.

Just holler if you get stuck.

I'm located North of the River if that's any help.

Always happy to help out.

Re castors - have you considered these at all?

hover_site (http://www.hoverbench.com/)

Not that much dearer than heavy duty castors and you get the benefit of a very sturdy work platform when it sits on the ground. :wink:

Cheers!

Interesting concept there Timeless ... although couldnt see any prices on their site ... but that could be because of the time it is and Im not really awake lol
Im North of the River too ... which area you in ?

crowie
14th December 2013, 07:46 AM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Rob".
There are quite a few members in and around Perth....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork....
Cheers crowie

Timless Timber
14th December 2013, 02:46 PM
I priced them and they are between ~$150 - ~300 depending of you get the one large one or two smaller ones.

Good Castors that will take weight and lock in position can easily cost that much.

I'm Morley area... not far from the galleria shopping center.

I'm also in the process of making an adjustable height, moveable bench. :wink:

Cheers!

derekcohen
14th December 2013, 05:10 PM
Hi Rob

I'm in Rossmoyne. Forum gettogethers do occur, generally at my home under the disguise of a workshop on something like dovetailing or turning furniture quality hardwood into shavings and sawdust. We should arrange another in January. Anyone interested?

I would recommend to join the Fine Woodwork Association. Many members of different interests. We meet once a month (second monday evening of each month).

Website: Fine Wood Work Association (WA) Inc. (http://www.fwwa.org.au/)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Vaper
14th December 2013, 05:39 PM
I priced them and they are between ~$150 - ~300 depending of you get the one large one or two smaller ones.

Good Castors that will take weight and lock in position can easily cost that much.

I'm Morley area... not far from the galleria shopping center.

I'm also in the process of making an adjustable height, moveable bench. :wink:

Cheers!

Thanks crowie :)

Holy routers Timless :oo:... thats way over My budget ... or should I say that would get Me a quick divorce this early on in My woodwork adventures lol:D

My bench is a rather simple design ... and for a first effort I think its best to start off like that (being such a novice) ...it has a top and a shelf underneath ...I guess Im being a bit "safe" with the simple design and was lucky enough to have been given the wood.... cant complain when its free :wink:

Sounds like a plan derek ... although ... I can hardly consider Myself a fine wood worker ... but Im getting pretty good at making sawdust with the bosch saw and wood thicknesser I was given to try out lol

DaveTTC
14th December 2013, 09:01 PM
Here's an idea for a bench. I love this one and want to do one similar.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=176186

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

BobL
14th December 2013, 09:15 PM
. . . . . Sounds like a plan derek ... although ... I can hardly consider Myself a fine wood worker ... but Im getting pretty good at making sawdust with the bosch saw and wood thicknesser I was given to try out lol

Neither am I but I still joined and have found it useful.

Vaper
14th December 2013, 09:42 PM
Here's an idea for a bench. I love this one and want to do one similar.

Clasic Work Bench at Hall Men's Shed (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=176186)

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

wow ... now thats pretty cool ... old style ... good luck with that dave ... might be a year or 5 before I feel that confident :)

good to know bob ... Im always willing to learn ... even if it takes a few times to sink in
as mentioned previously Im more from a tech background ... building/ repairing computers, gaming consoles, mobile phones etc, and there is a sense of accomplishment when I fix something but I really wanted to be able to make something ... develop new skills ... as the saying goes ...your never too old to learn something new :)
and I must admit ... I would rather see something sitting in a room that Ive made then something bought from ikea ... but Im getting ahead of Myself now ... baby steps :D

Oh and Im actually balcatta way ... not far from morely at all :wink:

Timless Timber
15th December 2013, 03:43 PM
You 'n me too brutha!

Holy routers Timless :oo:... thats way over My budget ... or should I say that would get Me a quick divorce this early on in My woodwork adventures lol:D

Yes its over my budget too - but I will just wait it out until i can afford it. :)

My hydraulic hospital table bed height adjuster mechanism - has set me back about $40...

Some timber to make the bench another $70!

Next I have my eyes on a old metalux plan cabinet! ($120)

After that the air cushions at ~ $300.

Then it just remains for me to put it together.

If I canget out of it for around the $500 ish - and have it easily moveable, full of drawers & height adjustable - I will consider that a good investment. It might well take me more than a year to afford it all tho...

I just don't rush this stuff... I do it as I can afford it & it takes as long as it takes!.

I do have a small timber workbench already - and a steel bench - so this one is an assembly bench where I can knock up carcasses of cabinets at low height - then cramp up tops etc at the higher height by just adjusting it. If I'm not using it - push it out the way into a corner to make space to work.

Once the bench is done - next comes the BP cyclone for dust extraction.

Trouble is "other jobs" come along & get in the way.... this week it was a low loader type vehicle transport truck, that pulled into Hungry Jacks across the road & then couldn't get out again.... poor sod then had to back out across 4 lanes of Walter road in peak hour traffic when no one would stop to give him a go... so when he eventually got a break he gunned it - and backed his long trailer thru my timber and steel gates on the driveway entrance opposite! :doh: :no: :o

So this week in the middle of the 4 days heatwave here in Perth, I've been busy removing the broken Jarrah palings, and getting new timber from Bunning's and dressing it up to match existing... if it cools down in the next couple days I'll have a go at replacing them - then painting them to match existing.

I feel a bit sorry for the poor sod... he's on $1K excess for his insurance... so as long as he covers the $70 odd for boards - I'll fix it to negate the need to claim insurance.

But crap like this happens all the time... and gets in the way of jobs i want to do for myself (like the work bench for e.g.).

We must get 2 or 3 prangs a week out front with HJ's across the road - last one was after midnight - one of their 17 year old kid employees leaving after shift and tried to show off to his peers - doing a burnout out the driveway - lost control shot across the 4 lane highway and cleaned up the fence and neighbors brick pillars and about 7 water meters for the units next door - before backing off the geyser and driving off (hit and run).

Ahh the joys of living in the city! :roll:

Just Needed to vent.... :D

Vaper
15th December 2013, 04:40 PM
You 'n me too brutha!

Yes its over my budget too - but I will just wait it out until i can afford it. :)

My hydraulic hospital table bed height adjuster mechanism - has set me back about $40...

Some timber to make the bench another $70!

Next I have my eyes on a old metalux plan cabinet! ($120)

After that the air cushions at ~ $300.

Then it just remains for me to put it together.

If I canget out of it for around the $500 ish - and have it easily moveable, full of drawers & height adjustable - I will consider that a good investment. It might well take me more than a year to afford it all tho...

I just don't rush this stuff... I do it as I can afford it & it takes as long as it takes!.

I do have a small timber workbench already - and a steel bench - so this one is an assembly bench where I can knock up carcasses of cabinets at low height - then cramp up tops etc at the higher height by just adjusting it. If I'm not using it - push it out the way into a corner to make space to work.

Once the bench is done - next comes the BP cyclone for dust extraction.

Trouble is "other jobs" come along & get in the way.... this week it was a low loader type vehicle transport truck, that pulled into Hungry Jacks across the road & then couldn't get out again.... poor sod then had to back out across 4 lanes of Walter road in peak hour traffic when no one would stop to give him a go... so when he eventually got a break he gunned it - and backed his long trailer thru my timber and steel gates on the driveway entrance opposite! :doh: :no: :o

So this week in the middle of the 4 days heatwave here in Perth, I've been busy removing the broken Jarrah palings, and getting new timber from Bunning's and dressing it up to match existing... if it cools down in the next couple days I'll have a go at replacing them - then painting them to match existing.

I feel a bit sorry for the poor sod... he's on $1K excess for his insurance... so as long as he covers the $70 odd for boards - I'll fix it to negate the need to claim insurance.

But crap like this happens all the time... and gets in the way of jobs i want to do for myself (like the work bench for e.g.).

We must get 2 or 3 prangs a week out front with HJ's across the road - last one was after midnight - one of their 17 year old kid employees leaving after shift and tried to show off to his peers - doing a burnout out the driveway - lost control shot across the 4 lane highway and cleaned up the fence and neighbors brick pillars and about 7 water meters for the units next door - before backing off the geyser and driving off (hit and run).

Ahh the joys of living in the city! :roll:

Just Needed to vent.... :D

have you ever considered installing spiked railings ? :D

all joking aside ... I am constantly amazed at the sheer number of terrible drivers on perth roads (and other states to be honest ... Ive lived in a few of them) and the total lack of courtesy :(( ... but I will stop now as I could rant for days about it and it wouldnt make a bit of difference.

sounds like your constantly kept busy ... the adjustable bench sounds like its going to be a great piece of kit and very useful.

at the moment Im kind of half converting the garage into My work shop but I still need to keep a car in there so its got to be multifunctional ... but I will get there in the end ... after finishing My bench the next thing Im aiming to make will be a drill press adjustable table ... I have an old drill press but it has mainly been used for drilling steel so the table assembly is more like an old vice but easy enough to remove ... so once My skills improve and I gain more confidence I'll be making the adjustable table ... Ive seen a few designs that seem straight forward and I'll be able to modify to fit the old drill ... mastering the router will be useful here, as well as buying some router bits that can take a novice use and still survive :wink:

these past few days I havent really felt like getting into the bench assembly ...too warm ... and on top of having 3 daughters My time does tend to be limited ...thankfully the school holidays are here next week so not as much running around after them and possibly cooler weather ...even a cool breeze will do lol

Godfrey
16th December 2013, 08:23 PM
Neither am I but I still joined and have found it useful.

Me three ;) Its worthwhile coming down to check it out. Michael Fortune is doing the presentation/lecture at the first meeting of 2014 (Feb)

legin
17th December 2013, 01:24 AM
Gday Vaper

Welcome mate,
Good to see more people from Perth, I'm in Belmont.
I would recommend going to the Perth Wood School, David has a lot of very well priced courses and is very helpful.
The Fine Wood Association boys and gals meet there too.

Legin

Vaper
17th December 2013, 02:46 AM
cheers Godfrey and legin

okies ...Im sold ... just looked up michaels work and its awesome... will sort My application out tomorrow.

I did look at the woodwork school before joining here ... looks like its a good place to begin ... besides being here with you wise folk :)

and hooraah ... the weather has finally cooled down ... time to make more sawdust :D

just as a matter of interest ...and I apologize if I should be posting this elsewhere ...but do any of you bother with lasers on your compound/drop saws ?

It seems the general idea is that some like them some hate them ... useful or just a gimmick ?

My bosch GCM10M saw didnt come with one and was wondering if anyone used them or fitted an after market one.

That being said ...the few I have looked at say not compatible with bosch etc ...and the ones that are only list the 12" sliding saw ...not the 10" like Mine.