PDA

View Full Version : Segmented bowl turning

Evanism
12th December 2013, 04:06 PM
I was considering a few segmented bowls and pots due to the insane cost of timber.

Seems likes a very economical way to use scraps or smaller bits of very expensive timer.....but there seems to be zero discussion on the board on this art.

Is nobody in Australia interested? Perhaps it's an American thing?

There is a great book by Tibbetts on amazon I'm going to grab....anyone have any advice, or is this forum the wrong one for this type of action?

joe greiner
12th December 2013, 04:31 PM
If you do a search for [segmented], restricted to Woodturning-General, you'll get a ton of hits.

It's a time-intensive process, and hard to find time to write about it.

Go for it anyway.

Cheers,
Joe

Beedeejay
12th December 2013, 05:06 PM
Also,
maybe flick powderpost a PM, his name is the first that comes to mind on here, and he might be able to give you some good information
cheers
Ben

artful bodger
12th December 2013, 07:26 PM
Hi Ev
There is no big mystery to segmented turning.
Its really in the drawing and marking out first. You need some reasonable dividers of the right size. Then mark out in profile what you want to make on a bit of 3mm craftwood or similar.
With bowl turning however the time taken to work out your segments,glue and clamp them all together,then turn them,might be wasted if you had a good solid chunk of timber to make your bowl from in the first place.
Perhaps you oughta get a chainsaw and start collecting timber from wherever you can get it. Dale Nishes book sums it up pretty well (in one of them there is a chapter "timber is where you find it").
You do need somewhere to let it season though, out of the weather and sun.
A bowlsaver unit where you can rescue the internal timber of the bowl adds to the timber usage.
The beauty of segmeted construction is that there is minimal waste.
Also you can build up really big stuff.
The picture attached shows some segmented window frames the biggest 1200mm dia.
Where I did my apprenticeship they had a face plate lathe that could turn much bigger than that.
Generally I would say, big stuff..segment. Smaller stuff,solid......unless you are going for fancy fine work...al la powderposts funky creations.296980

DaveTTC
12th December 2013, 08:28 PM
One of the members in my wood turning club has done heaps of segmented work over the years.

He is in his 80ies now and not computer savvy.

There is a site with a calculator that gives you all your angles if you just type in how many pieces per layer and I think it has ideas for other fancy segmented stuff too. I remember so done posting about it but can't remember if it was here or another forum.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Osbojo
12th December 2013, 08:39 PM
This one seems to be pretty common:

Design Your First Segmented Bowl in 5 Minutes (http://www.segmentedturning.com/software.htm)

doug3030
12th December 2013, 09:27 PM
I was considering a few segmented bowls and pots ... Is nobody in Australia interested?

Actually I am very interested in segmented turning but there are a lot of other things I need to accomplish on my way there. I have at least one book on it and have researched it a lot on the web. For me its probably a few years off yet, but I am still very interested in that aspect of turning.

Cheers

Doug

Mobyturns
12th December 2013, 09:28 PM
By the time you get the thicknesser, jointer, table saw, mitre saw, and sanding disk all set up, then use twice as much raw material as is actually in the laminated disks before turning its very cost effective. :oo: Just ask Powder Post

powderpost
12th December 2013, 11:20 PM
I was considering a few segmented bowls and pots due to the insane cost of timber.

Seems likes a very economical way to use scraps or smaller bits of very expensive timer.....but there seems to be zero discussion on the board on this art.

Is nobody in Australia interested? Perhaps it's an American thing?

There is a great book by Tibbetts on amazon I'm going to grab....anyone have any advice, or is this forum the wrong one for this type of action?
Hi Evanism, There are a few around that get into segmenting. It can be a very slippery slope. Some time back I did a WIP for a segmented pot. In that WIP I outlined a very simple method to work out the size of timber needed for each segment and the segment size. The segments can be cut accurately with a graduated mitre box or even a mitre dedicated to a particular angle. This way small pieces can be cut safely. Power tools require a different approach. I use a few different sled on my table saw to cut segments, many use drop saws with good results. Band clamps, I find, the best to clamp the rings. Buy the cheaper, lighter type, as they are more flexible. Keep to the one brand so they can be "ganged" for larger diameter rings. Hopefully some one who is more computer savey than me, can direct you to that WIP. It is a too big subject a subject to handle here, I don't mind if you ask questions
Jim

Mobyturns
13th December 2013, 07:04 AM
Hopefully some one who is more computer savey than me, can direct you to that WIP. It is a too big subject a subject to handle here, I don't mind if you ask questions
Jim

Here you go Powderpost :p
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/laminated-biscuit-barrel-wip-89588/

Jim, that comes with a small fee - another peek inside that shed of yours - "Mr Magoriums Wonder Emporium" :fineprint:

Mike Tilley
13th December 2013, 10:25 AM
Segmented turning can be very rewarding ounce you get used to it. It does require more time but the finished product is worth the effort.
Feature rings also add a lot to segmented turnings that you can't get with just a plain piece of wood (except for the burls that you have over there).
To me the time spent cutting and glueing os well worth the time.

dai sensei
13th December 2013, 10:56 AM
.....but there seems to be zero discussion on the board on this art...

:no: Search harder :rolleyes:

Osbojo
13th December 2013, 12:22 PM
:no: Search harder :rolleyes:

Yeah, just a glance at the 'Similar Threads' section below is a good start.

Evanism
13th December 2013, 05:15 PM
Some defence for me DaiSensei is I did and it returned just 3 results :(

Perhaps if there is such enthusiasm, why not add a new sub group such as that for pen turning?

I did end up ordering that book :)

Edit!....I retested and it's the iPad. The auto correct changed segmented to segnoted....god I hate apple sometimes.

DaveTTC
13th December 2013, 05:24 PM
Some defence for me DaiSensei is I did and it returned just 3 results :( Perhaps if there is such enthusiasm, why not add a new sub group such as that for pen turning? I did end up ordering that book :) Edit!....I retested and it's the iPad. The auto correct changed segmented to segnoted....god I hate apple sometimes.

Either way Im glad you bought up the subject as it made it fresh in all out minds.

I agree that we can look things up and sometimes we may be lucky enough to find 'the answer' we're looking for. likely most questions have been raised at some point with exception of newer products. If we all just did a 'secret search' and asked no questions traffic would be real slow and the forum would be boring.

If you are bale to make the woodworking weekend Im having in Jan I hope to have a club member there who is very experienced in segmenting.

regards

Dave

powderpost
13th December 2013, 10:41 PM
Here you go Powderpost :p
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/laminated-biscuit-barrel-wip-89588/

Jim, that comes with a small fee - another peek inside that shed of yours - , You are welcome any time. "Mr Magoriums Wonder Emporium" :fineprint:
How did he do that? :oo:
Thanks Moby, that is not the one I was thinking of, the other one was for a vase, but thanks anyway.. :2tsup:

Maybe I need to do a WIP for a simple laminated bowl???

Jim

Mobyturns
13th December 2013, 10:44 PM
How did he do that? :oo:
Thanks Moby, that is not the one I was thinking of, the other one was for a vase, but thanks anyway.. :2tsup:

Maybe I need to do a WIP for a simple laminated bowl???

Jim

I will dig deeper then. :D

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/making-segmented-vase-174358/

Would that be it? remember the :fineprint:

powderpost
13th December 2013, 11:07 PM
I will dig deeper then. :D

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/making-segmented-vase-174358/

Would that be it? remember the :fineprint:
Yep, bingo, that is the one. Thanks.. :2tsup: