PDA

View Full Version : Some Triangular Bowls.

Sturdee
13th December 2013, 05:03 PM
Having recently made some winged and square edged bowls I wanted to try some other shapes. So I made some some triangular edged bowls.

Firstly I made a perspex template to make marking out triangles easier, similar to the circle marking templates, and cut and glued up some scrap timber to make the triangular shape.

To this I glued some pine and cut it into a circle ready for turning. After turning I remove the remaining pine.

The first is a small one and the photos show the front, top and bottom views.

297045 and 297046

The second one is a bit larger

297048 and 297049

Finish is 3 coats of Minwax Antique oil.

Enjoy

Peter.

DaveTTC
13th December 2013, 05:39 PM
looks good Peter, now that I finally have my work area set up it is time for me to get turning too

Osbojo
13th December 2013, 06:34 PM
Looks great peter but you were only talking about doing these yesterday arvo. You've got too much time on your hands!

Sturdee
13th December 2013, 07:05 PM
Looks great peter but you were only talking about doing these yesterday arvo. You've got too much time on your hands!

You misunderstood me, I made the small one on Monday (as there was no Mens shed for me) and the larger one on Wednesday and today the Corian beaker.

Actually the calculations, making the template and preparing the blanks took longer then the turning.

Not too much time on hand as I want to make diamond shaped bowls next, then 5 sided and 6 sided and so forth. :U

Peter.

Sturdee
13th December 2013, 07:07 PM
looks good Peter, now that I finally have my work area set up it is time for me to get turning too

I'm looking forward to some of your turning Dave, now that your lathe is tuned up by the master.

Peter.

DaveTTC
13th December 2013, 07:17 PM
I'm looking forward to some of your turning Dave, now that your lathe is tuned up by the master.

Peter.

Oh no the pressure is on. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/utydu7y3.jpg

All right my first turning with a tunes lathe

Left to right

3 beads with a skew
3 beads with a parting tool
3 beads with a gouge.

Hope in not hijacking the thread here ;)

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Sturdee
13th December 2013, 07:24 PM
I started of like that as well Dave under 's guidance. :2tsup:

But let's get back on topic now.

Peter.

SNAFU11
14th December 2013, 06:08 AM
WOW nice work there Peter...looks excellent :2tsup:

Mick!!!

chuck1
14th December 2013, 09:08 AM
nice work there, your inspiration is flowing strong!

DaveTTC
14th December 2013, 09:12 AM
I meant to say earlier I like the side profile of the cut edge. Nice effect how it thickens near the bowl.

Will you sell these?

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

turnerted
14th December 2013, 12:17 PM
An interesting design Peter.I like the second one best where the wings droop down, but would prefer the wing to be an even thickness as in the first one.I look forward to seeing the other variations.
Ted

artme
14th December 2013, 12:33 PM
Nice turning Peter!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

As a personal preference I think winged bowls need to look light,
as if they would fly.
To that end I would like to have seen more wood removed on
both pieces.

Sturdee
14th December 2013, 06:35 PM
Will you sell these?

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

No Dave, I turn for my own pleasure and enjoyment and not to make items for sale. I usually keep them or give things away to family or very special friends as gifts.

Peter.

Sturdee
14th December 2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys,

would prefer the wing to be an even thickness as in the first one.
Ted
and

As a personal preference I think winged bowls need to look light,
as if they would fly. To that end I would like to have seen more wood removed on
both pieces.

To some extent I also share that view but with trying new shapes I am only learning to what extent I can go for too thin and the ends may chip of, as it did in one of my square edged bamboo bowl I tried to make. Hence my reluctance.

Also it's in my nature to turn more for function then art so most of it is more practical and can be used and handled. I agree with Richard Raffan when he writes that very thin walls may show great skills of the turner but then often lack in the design to make it attractive. Similar to putting long finials on boxes when a knob is more appropriate.

Just my view of course and others look at it different. That's why we are different. Viva la difference. :2tsup:

Peter.

Oldgreybeard
14th December 2013, 08:14 PM
These look great. well done Peter. Personally, I prefer the upward curve of the wings in the first one, but find the taperred wings of the second appealing - would you consider combining the two options in a future turning.
Two questions as I have just started doing winged bowls, but have not thought of gluing sacraficial pieces to make a circular form for turning. Apart from reducing the risk of "Knuckle damage", what do you find to be the benefits of this approach? Do you do any 'straight edge' bowls using multi axis turning or do you always precut the blank to the desired shape?

I lppk forward to seeing your next lot with even more sides.

Bob

Sturdee
15th December 2013, 04:47 PM
Two questions as I have just started doing winged bowls, but have not thought of gluing sacrificial pieces to make a circular form for turning. Apart from reducing the risk of "Knuckle damage", what do you find to be the benefits of this approach?
Bob

Bob,

I know that there are a lot of YouTube videos showing square edged bowls being made without sacrificial pieces to make a circular form. That may be appropriate for the experts but I read that Vic Wood, one of our own expert turners, used sacrificial timber as well so I'm in good company.

The safety benefits are that there are no sharp bits whirling around ready to break your knuckles if attention wavers, there are no catches when the tools hit the edge, sharper edges and sanding with the lathe turning is possible. Also the wood is not out of balance.

I was only reading the other day in the Woodturners magazine of how to make it with two wings up and two wings down on the one bowl, something to do as well. I haven't tried straight edge bowls with multi axis turning but it's on the list as soon as I make the jig Wheelinround posted a few years back in the Ornamental turning section. I'm thinking of say a triangle platter with three hollowed out dishes. That would be a tad difficult but fun to do. :2tsup: At least my weird sense of fun. :U

So much to do and so little time and over the Christmas break I've got to finish the roof over a shed and the bits of the fence around the BBQ. :(

But I've started on the diamond shaped bowl.

Peter.

DaveTTC
15th December 2013, 10:47 PM
I wish sacrificial bits worked for live edge work too