PDA

View Full Version : "Black building Paper"

Michael Breen
3rd June 2005, 02:51 PM
Some instructions for building a solar oven, from the USA, suggest using "black building paper". Could someone please translate for me? Do we have an Australian equivalent? And would it be suitable for being heated near food? Thanks.
Michael

Iain
3rd June 2005, 03:25 PM
I think it would be that bitumenised heavy paper that used to be used for insulation, haven't seen it around for a while though.
Used to come in rolls about 6' long.

Michael Breen
6th June 2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the response. Is that the stuff they used call Malthoid roofing paper? Anyway it sounds as if an alternative is needed for making a solar oven.
Regards,
Michael

Iain
6th June 2005, 03:27 PM
Question now is what is a solar oven, is this just a heat bank to trap energy for heating or a cooking device.
May be some alternatives.
I have made a heat bank using bluestone in a transparent double insulated 'box' and pumped the heat out into the house at night, aluminium painted black will get pretty hot and has nice thermal transfer properties (but not retention).
Black fire bricks will act in much thge same way as bluestone but will heat up quicker.

silentC
6th June 2005, 05:07 PM
I have made a heat bank using bluestone in a transparent double insulated 'box' and pumped the heat out into the house at night
Tell me more... :)

Iain
6th June 2005, 06:51 PM
It was a mudbrick hut about the size of an outdoor dunny but the north and west wall were made from two layers of glass that I came by from old phone boxes.
In the centre was a column of bluestone pitchers that were about 600x600 by almost 2000 high.
During the day the sun would shine into this sealed box and the rocks would heat up, being doble insulated it acted like a thermos flask and we had some insulated ducting pipe running a short distance (about 1 metre) into the mudbrick house, a little application of fan and we drew the warm air from the cubilce into the loungeroom.
It was a one of, worked sort of OK but needed to be a hell of a lot bigger to heat the whole house.
It was an experiment and I was pleased with the result as it cost nothing.
Of course no sun, no heat but a fine day in the middle of winter would take the chill off the lounge room until about midnight and saved some firewood.
Power was solar and the fan was a small 12v unit that I made from some salvaged bits.
This was not a permanent residence, just more of a little retreat in east Gippsland.

Barry_White
6th June 2005, 07:30 PM
Some instructions for building a solar oven, from the USA, suggest using "black building paper". Could someone please translate for me? Do we have an Australian equivalent? And would it be suitable for being heated near food? Thanks.
Michael
I think you would find that it isn't made anymore because it doesn't meet the fire regulations for building papers such as sarking.

soundman
7th June 2005, 12:10 AM
If you are buildin a "little" oven.
Go to your nearest theatrical lighting supplier for some blackout foil.
This is like very heavy aluminium foil coated black on both sides.
"ROSCO" make it & it comes in rolls of varying width. It aint real cheap.
But it will do the job well.
cheers

DanP
7th June 2005, 12:49 AM
glass that I came by from old phone boxes.

A likely story... :p

Dan

RETIRED
7th June 2005, 01:01 AM

Dan
Does that go with "Ello, Ello, Ello? :D

Iain
7th June 2005, 10:50 AM

Dan
Fell off the back of a truck, honest, and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time....

Woodlice
7th June 2005, 03:10 PM
How did you use it after if fell off the truck???

Michael Breen
7th June 2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks Soundman. As the Irish would say you are a sound man. That Rosco stuff sounds good. There is a chap who drinks here at the Dalton Pub called "Rosco", but I don't think he makes it. He works for the railways.
And Iain as for what is a solar oven.This will explain better than I can.
http://www.solarcooking.org/
We have solar electicity here, cook with bottled gas and have no over other than a camp oven. Hence the interest in cooking with a solar oven. Sorry about this but I was thinking that if I were to make a second one it would not be a solar oven.
Gratefully,
Michael of Dalton

DanP
7th June 2005, 06:11 PM
Does that go with "Ello, Ello, Ello? :D

Yeah, and "wot ave we 'ere then" and "yore nicked" :rolleyes:

Dan

DanP
7th June 2005, 06:13 PM
Fell off the back of a truck, honest, and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time....

So it's theft by finding then. ;)

Iain
7th June 2005, 08:56 PM
I refuse to say anymore on the grounds I may incriminate myself ..................

vsquizz
7th June 2005, 09:47 PM
I refuse to say anymore on the grounds I may incriminate myself ..................
Thats what Gary Ablett said..???:confused:

This solar thingy heater stuff is well explained in a hippy..err environmental book called the "Earth Garden Building Book" using blue metal and air flow to cool or heat the house. I have a copy of the book but for the life of me I can't find the Bustard!!.. maybe I left it in the teepee..:o

Seriously its well worth a read for improving energy efficiency in the home.

Cheers

DanP
7th June 2005, 11:38 PM

So it's no comment then. Righto. SARGE!!! BRING THE YELLOW PAGES. :eek:

vsquizz
7th June 2005, 11:52 PM
So it's no comment then. Righto. SARGE!!! BRING THE YELLOW PAGES. :eek:
So Dan, you used to work at the Bathurst cop shop did ya??:eek: :)

Cheers

DanP
8th June 2005, 12:35 AM
WHAT!! Ptooey. Bloody NSW pansys.

Dandenong, Springvale, Footscray, Frankston, Broadmeadows, the list goes on.

Iain
8th June 2005, 10:24 AM
Sunshine for the softies :rolleyes:
Mr Squizz, haven't seen the book, just seemed like a good idea at the time and having spent some considerable time in a bluestone establishment I observed the thermal qualities of the rock, it remained warm for several days after a warm spell but was bloody cold in winter.
Now, I bet that's opened a new gate...................

DanP
8th June 2005, 12:02 PM
So you're a docket then...

Iain
8th June 2005, 12:04 PM
If I was I would have been treated better :p

DanP
8th June 2005, 12:12 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Very true.:(

Dan