PDA

View Full Version : Cracks me up

Willy Nelson
15th December 2013, 10:25 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I turned this Jarrah Burl Bowl/platter quite recently. Of note is the large crack running through a fair proportion of the timber. The crack at its widest is 20mm. There is a slight bridge of material which assisted with the structural strength, but I also reinforced this with CA. Whilst turning, I could certainly hear the crack and the bowl flexed and wobbled as I turned it. As a consequence, I ensured I did the following, which BTW is sound turning experience regardless of the item being turned. I was just a lot more careful

1. Never stood in the line of fire. Always made sure I was clear at lathe start up and whilst turning
2. Gentle cuts
3. Sharp tools
4. Appropriate speeds
5. Full PPE

The rim is textured and the bowl is finished in Danish oil.

The other burl bowl is just a very nice Jarrah Burl, but turned very thin. Very this for burl is 3-mm, but no problems with it. About as thin as I would ever go with Burl

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

turnerted
15th December 2013, 11:12 AM
Nothing like living on the edge to keep the mind focused.Well done.Not sure about the texturing.It has a lot going for it as it is.
Ted

Paul39
15th December 2013, 11:49 AM
Willy,

When I turn something like your cracked bowl, I put 2 or 3 turns of tape around the rim in addition to all the other things you list. Tape is sometimes removed and replaced as we progress from start to finish.

Both beautiful bowls. I like the texturing.

artme
15th December 2013, 01:44 PM
Gotta hand it to you Willy, that is top turning all round!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
15th December 2013, 04:14 PM
Wow :cool:, certainly game :o

Pat
15th December 2013, 04:35 PM
Willy, looks like a fun little bowl to play with.

Fingers behind the tool rest should be added to your little list:;

Any pics of it's other side?

yowie
15th December 2013, 05:04 PM
Great work. As a very begiiner turner, it is good to see some of the advice on how you did it as well as the picture. Cheers.

Christos
15th December 2013, 05:06 PM
3mm is as thin as I have ever gone for a bowl. And that being a smallish bowl.

cookie48
15th December 2013, 09:27 PM
You are gamer than Gunga Din turning that.
I really do like it tho.
Well done. Both look very spiffy.

Willy Nelson
15th December 2013, 10:09 PM
Thank you for the kind words and some questions.

1. Sorry, can't show the bottom as the bowl as it is now in a gallery
2. Yes, I have used tape in the past, but not often, but good to add to the list
3. texturing. I turned dozens of these bowls from burl. Burl doesn't need texturing as a rule being a 'busy' timber, but I like to do different things as well. Sometimes, the texturing is added as a means of covering a defect or fault. (Hint for young players)

I think that is all
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

smiife
16th December 2013, 08:12 PM
hi willy ,
nice bowls ,and some wise words of advice
would the chunky one look better with some colour
on the textured bit, not a criticism just a suggestion:U
cheers smiife:2tsup:

USMC_Buckaroo