PDA

View Full Version : New Batch of Slit Brass Available

RayG
16th December 2013, 01:41 PM
Hi All,

A very kind and generous forum member has donated funding for a batch of slit brass, :2tsup:

I managed to slit most of it over the weekend.

My new slitting setup uses a surface ground block of steel supporting the whole length and clamping that doesn't distort the brass during or after the cut, that was causing the slitting saw to drift off line on some previous batches. One other little tip I can pass on, and that is, don't use coolant, every time I used coolant the blade distorted enough to cause tracking problems.

I'm happier with this lot than any of the previous batches...

All lengths are 20" so you can cut into the size you want, two 10", one 12" and one 8", or 14" and 6" all are slit to 20thou, but if you want 25 or 32 thou, I've kept some back to cut to suit larger plate.

I'll be posting this lot to Dale for distribution.

Regards
Ray

code4pay
16th December 2013, 01:47 PM
Hi Ray, what's the process I need to follow to get a length? Is there any saw plate available?
Regards Mike.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

_fly_
16th December 2013, 01:48 PM
Think I'm already down for 4 blades and backs for them from Dale.

Thanks for doing that.

RayG
16th December 2013, 01:52 PM
Hi Ray, what's the process I need to follow to get a length? Is there any saw plate available?
Regards Mike.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Hi Mike,

Contact Dale, (DSEL74) he's handling the distribution, and I think he still has some 20 thou saw plate.

The money collected goes back into buying more brass and saw plate, so we can keep a limited supply available into the future,

Regards
Ray

shedbound
16th December 2013, 02:04 PM
Thank-you:2tsup::2tsup:
cheers
joel

planemaker
16th December 2013, 03:21 PM
That's a great looking set up Ray, and those slits in the brass look ever so sweet. Is the machine you using called a milling machine. Ray. On behalf of the saw making group I would like to thank you for the time an effort you have been putting in of late to make sure we have slit brass available to meet the ongoing interest of backsaw making on this forum. Not forgetting your time with Ian & Dale that insured the recent saw making workshop was a success it ended up being. Kudos to you all. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Stewie.

Simplicity
16th December 2013, 04:40 PM
Ray
After having a .... Week dealing with human nature.
You have brought me back to reality.
Its people like you and others that restore my beliefs in human nature that there is more good than bad u just have to know were to look.
They look fantastic and has Stewie said a BIG WELL DONE.
12 months ago it was just a felting thought to be able to make my own saws.
Now I have two and one on the go and I can't see me stopping at just three either
THANK YOU from the bottom of a saw gullet.

RayG
16th December 2013, 05:09 PM
That's a great looking set up Ray, and those slits in the brass look ever so sweet. Is the machine you using called a milling machine. Ray. On behalf of the saw making group I would like to thank you for the time an effort you have been putting in of late to make sure we have slit brass available to meet the ongoing interest of backsaw making on this forum. Not forgetting your time with Ian & Dale that insured the recent saw making workshop was a success it ended up being. Kudos to you all. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Stewie.

Thanks Stewie, much appreciated!... Yes that's the mill, it's a HM52, not the best or most accurate, but it comes in handy. We have a Deckel FP2LB bed mill being restored, it's a much more accurate machine.

Regards
Ray

RayG
16th December 2013, 07:21 PM
12 months ago it was just a fleeting thought to be able to make my own saws.
Now I have two and one on the go and I can't see me stopping at just three either

It's a great feeling to make something with tools you've made yourself... now that you've started down the slippery slope, there'll be no stopping you! :2tsup:

Regards
Ray

DSEL74
16th December 2013, 09:12 PM
Looks good Ray! I better start clering out my inbox for the next wave of PMs.
When the brass arrives I'l contact everyone who has already expressed interest and confirm they still want it and arrange distribution.

I have also been asked by some members to organise some 4" wide x 0.025" Saw plate to do some larger saws. I will be only facilitating the order and passing it on. I'm not bank rolling this order and I won't be selling it off, that will be left to the other parties involved. This was inspired by Ron Bontz recent saw posted and the new Veritas D9 style saw.

I would be interested to know how many people are planning to continue on making saws as a hobby and how many think the current offerings will cover their needs?

Simplicity
16th December 2013, 09:31 PM
Hi Dale count me in on a couple of the 4 inch plates has well please.
Just don't tell my fiancé
What u need how many saws what's wrong with the drop or circular saw u have lol

RayG
16th December 2013, 09:44 PM
Hi Dale,

I'm sorting through some of the rejects from this and earlier batches, where the saw has either drifted off center or angled one way or another, and recutting them with the Aprica 32 thou blade, which is sometimes enough to recut the slit and straighten it out..
I'm going to do a few with the slot 15mm deep, so it starts to look like a folded back :) file the top profile round and it will look like it's folded ( sortof ) :)

Here's what I mean, the one on the surface plate..

The ones with layout blue is just to identify those that are slit to 32 thou, so they don't get mixed up with the 20 thou.

How many deep slotted would you like? any takers..

Regards
Ray

DSEL74
16th December 2013, 09:54 PM
Will they need to be squeezed closed to hold the plate?
They certainly look interesting and could be made to look old school folded as you suggest.

Pac man
16th December 2013, 10:13 PM
Would like to be included in the brass offerings and 4 inch plate ​and have sent you a pm.

RayG
17th December 2013, 12:11 AM
I have also been asked by some members to organise some 4" wide x 0.025" Saw plate to do some larger saws.

I can't slit 25 thou reliably at the moment, I need to get a new blade that tracks properly, the deep slit 32 thou can be squeezed in a vise and looks like it will hold 15 thou plate at a pinch ( pun intended ) :)

I've got another batch to post tomorrow that includes 4 x 20" slit to 20 thou, 3 x 20" slit to 32 thou, and a couple of deep slit 32 thou ( for some lucky soul to play with :) ) , so, with the 14 x 20" by 20thou that brings the total to 18 x 20 thou

How many 25 thou do you reckon I need to do..?

Regards
Ray

planemaker
17th December 2013, 12:20 AM
Will they need to be squeezed closed to hold the plate?
They certainly look interesting and could be made to look old school folded as you suggest.

Hi Dale. Getting a closer tolerance would require using an 0.028 (0.7mm) slitting blade. Ray may not have that size blade in his arsenal.

Stewie;

RayG
17th December 2013, 12:54 AM
Hi Dale. Getting a closer tolerance would require using an 0.028 (0.7mm) slitting blade. Ray may not have that size blade in his arsenal.

Stewie;

Hi Stewie,

You can close up the gap as much or as little as you like, squeeze more or less harder.. I have a 25 thou slitting blade, but it doesn't track, I've got a couple of 25 thou Controx blades on order..

Regards
Ray

DSEL74
17th December 2013, 08:13 AM
Ray email sent.

planemaker
17th December 2013, 11:10 AM
Hi Stewie,

You can close up the gap as much or as little as you like, squeeze more or less harder.. I have a 25 thou slitting blade, but it doesn't track, I've got a couple of 25 thou Controx blades on order..

Regards
Ray

Do have any ideas as to why the 25 thou slitting blade you have doesn't track properly with the deeper slit. Just a thought bubble. Is it possible that the downward clamping pressure is causing this deeper slit to collapse slightly behind the cutter blade when machining, causing the blade to track off.

Stewie;

RayG
17th December 2013, 11:21 AM
Do have any ideas as to why the 25 thou slitting blade you have doesn't track properly with the deeper slit. Just a thought bubble. Is it possible that the downward clamping pressure is causing this deeper slit to collapse slightly behind the cutter blade when machining, causing the blade to track off.

Stewie;

Hi Stewie, no, that 25 thou blade won't track regardless of depth. In any event I'm not doing deep slitting with that blade, only the thicker and stiffer 32 thou. The clamping doesn't close up the cut, I've got it set up just so.

A 32 thou blade is pretty thick, it's in the same ballpark as those bunnings scraper blades, but you could make a nice big tenon saw, say 18" x 5" a bit like the Badaxe Beast Bad Axe Tool Works - Roubo Beastmaster (http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/the-roubo-beastmaster.html) or even the 20" Ron Bontz 20" Roubo Saw - Bontz Saw Works (http://www.bontzsawworks.net/home/20-roubo-saw/) :)

Regards
Ray

planemaker
17th December 2013, 12:02 PM
Hi Stewie, no, that 25 thou blade won't track regardless of depth. In any event I'm not doing deep slitting with that blade, only the thicker and stiffer 32 thou. The clamping doesn't close up the cut, I've got it set up just so.

A 32 thou blade is pretty thick, it's in the same ballpark as those bunnings scraper blades, but you could make a nice big tenon saw, say 18" x 5" a bit like the Badaxe Beast Bad Axe Tool Works - Roubo Beastmaster (http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/the-roubo-beastmaster.html) or even the 20" Ron Bontz 20" Roubo Saw - Bontz Saw Works (http://www.bontzsawworks.net/home/20-roubo-saw/) :)

Regards
Ray

Thanks for the update Ray. Looks like you way ahead of me. 32 though. Is that close to the traditional plate gauge used by Disston & Atkins with their large Miter Box Backsaws.

Stewie;

DSEL74
18th December 2013, 01:54 PM
First lot arrived in the post from Ray today along with a small package to my Partner from Henry Eckert! So either she is developing an interest in tools or I'm getting one for Xmas, I'm happy both ways.

Ray can you test that side grooving theory on one spine for the next batch.

There will be an order placed for a 50' roll of 4"x 0.025 of which 35' has been spoken for. Also getting a 50' roll of 3"x 0.020" for a future workshop in Sydney run by one of the participants from the Melbourne workshop. If anyone wants to piggyback and buy in bulk PM me.

RayG
18th December 2013, 02:09 PM
First lot arrived in the post from Ray today along with a small package to my Partner from Henry Eckert! So either she is developing an interest in tools or I'm getting one for Xmas, I'm happy both ways.

Ray can you test that side grooving theory on one spine for the next batch.

There will be an order placed for a 50' roll of 4"x 0.025 of which 35' has been spoken for. Also getting a 50' roll of 3"x 0.020" for a future workshop in Sydney run by one of the participants from the Melbourne workshop. If anyone wants to piggyback and buy in bulk PM me.

Hi Dale,

The should be 2 tubes, each one has 7 x 20" 20 thou slit. That's 14 lengths x 20"

A third tube was posted yesterday with another 7 x 20" 20 thou slit, bringing the total to 21 lengths.

Plus a special bonus, I've included in the third tube... ( "You also get..." ) 2 lengths of the deep slit 32 thou for anyone who wants to experiment with the "folded" look. Steak Knives optional.. :)

There won't be any 25 thou slit until the new blades arrive... might not be until after Christmas.

Regards
Ray

PS... Side grooves, you want two grooves top and bottom on each side? Chamfered as well?

DSEL74
18th December 2013, 02:44 PM
Plus a special bonus, I've included in the third tube... ( "You also get..." ) 2 lengths of the deep slit 32 thou for anyone who wants to experiment with the "folded" look. Steak Knives optional.. :)

There won't be any 25 thou slit until the new blades arrive... might not be until after Christmas.

PS... Side grooves, you want two grooves top and bottom on each side? Chamfered as well?

Saw plate won't be here until sometime early next year, we still have to order it, plus 2weeks lead time and delivery from UK.
I though you were going to say the special bonus was you had finished my saw:q

Side grooves, two grooves top and bottom on each side & Chamfered sounds good.

Sent you an email to clarify costings.

Had some PMs from new faces interested in the materials, more saw makers the merrier!!

DSEL74
19th December 2013, 05:55 PM
Everyone who had put their hand up for the saw plate and spines are covered and can collect tomorrow or over the weekend. Just call to make a time as I will be in and out.

Otherwise you can collect after the 8th of Jan.

Those interstate obviously will get theirs posted out either individually or to a central form member to collect from just let me know.

Doug

Simplicity

FLY

Pagie

Shed Bound

Peter Evans

PacMan

Mgtools

Basilg

Code4pay

If you have changed your mind please also let me know so the material can go to someone else.

I'm now out of saw plate until another lot is ordered.

RayG
6th January 2014, 03:21 PM
Hi All,

The 25 thou slitting saws arrived today, so I'll be slitting a batch of 25 thou backs in the coming days, so with luck, I'll be posting them down to Dale next week.

Ray

Simplicity
6th January 2014, 04:06 PM
I can't keep up so many saws to make so little time
Thanks again Ray
For a fantastic effort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Pac man
3rd March 2014, 04:55 PM
Is there any 32 thou still available ?