PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Dust Extraction

tyrone
15th February 2003, 08:53 PM
how do people use their dust collectors,
1. leave it onall the time
2. switch it on just before using a particular machine.
3. Use an automatic system.

Basically i am looking at setting up an automatic system, whereby the dust extractor turns on, when I start up a particalar tool. I dont want to have to walk over to the other side of the workshop all the time to turn the system on and off all the time

DarrylF
15th February 2003, 09:03 PM
I picked up a remote control for mine a couple of weeks ago. HPM make a good one - costs about $50 and I got mine from Dick Smith Electronics. Needs line of sight but works well, and the remote is quite small.

I turn it on just before I turn on the machine and turn it off shortly after - with a short delay to clear the pipes.

Automated would be nice, but you still need an override anyway for extra cleanups, floor sweep etc. Remote works well for me.

soundman
22nd February 2003, 12:39 PM
Funny this subject should come up as it has been a topic of discussion round here for a time.

I have seen several arrangements a friend of mine has wired a remote switch to the extractor outlet to the infeed side of his saw bench, another fires his up with a kambrook in a similar location. But none of these arrangements are realy convienient.

There are some tool triggered vacume cleaners available on the market but the rating for the tool is rather low and the suction of these machines is not approppriate for bigger machines.

There does not apear to be an automatic dust extractor switch available on the australian market. If anyone knows of one I would be interested to see the details.

Soundman's electronic R&D department is already on the job with an automatic load triggered dust switch designed for heavier loads.
Hope to have prototypes in the field for assessment in a couple of months.
If all goes well and compliance testing doesn't kill us with cost we'll see about marketing.

watch this space.

DarrylF
23rd February 2003, 10:36 PM
Soundman: Couple it with a remote control override and electric blast gates (especially if they don't cut airflow to bugger all) and you might just have a winner. I'm sure there's more than a few willing beta testers around here http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

sandman
24th February 2003, 11:03 PM
The greatest "remote" system I have seen was one that perhaps Tim Skilton could elaborate on! Pure genius!
Where are you Tim?

Dean
17th June 2005, 11:15 PM
Bringing up an old thread here I know :D
Looking for remote controlled power outlets and found this one (http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6100&CATID=&keywords=GPO+mains&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=) at Jaycar for $39.95... Trouble is, only rated to 1000W so ok if you have a 1HP extractor. Requires line of sight etc.

Anyone seen anything similar for 2HP units? Im not looking for auto-on/off type system. just a basic remote system would suit me fine :)

Schtoo
18th June 2005, 01:21 AM
Contactor.

Make sure its rated to run a contactor, and make that switch the big load. Might be a little pricy, but you get your remote control pretty easily.

If I ever manage to get this stuff worked out, I'll just run a switch off the gates and a timer to run after the gate is closed for a few minutes.

gatiep
18th June 2005, 05:20 PM
Dean

I posted my system using an extra relay that pulls in a contactor on here in the past, so a search will bring it up.

soundman
18th June 2005, 10:05 PM
my apologies I'm still draging my feet with my device. It does exist (i promise ).

one of the big issues in design is rating of the switching ellement. It must be rated for motor start which is quite an ask.