PDA

View Full Version : Unplugged???

Mobyturns
17th December 2013, 01:20 AM

I'm not sure how we can say "unplugged" in wood turners speak?

Totally off the tool, no sandpaper, no finish whatsoever. I have recently acquired some Thompson 10V tools . These tops were turned using the ½” & ¾” skews, ¼” detail gouge and Robert Sorby ½” spindle master only. The skews have a longer grind than I am accustomed too.

Materials, Radiata Pine (crapiata to NZer’s), northern silky oak, new guinea rosewood, and palm with Queensland silver ash.

Paul39
17th December 2013, 03:43 AM
Mobyturns,

Very nice. Given the hundreds of hours you have spent in front of the lathe, I expect you would do as well with carbon tools. Of course sharpening more frequently.

Curious about "Thompson 10V tools", I looked them up: Thompson Lathe Tools (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/faq.asp)

Nice informative web site.

Enjoy your new tools.

artme
17th December 2013, 10:34 AM
Love 'em!! Especially the ones with black palm.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

DaveTTC
17th December 2013, 11:51 AM
kids would love em, nice work

Christos
17th December 2013, 12:32 PM
Well done

powderpost
17th December 2013, 09:04 PM
A definite improvement... :D
Jim

Mobyturns
17th December 2013, 09:08 PM
A definite improvement... :D
Jim

:p You have a bit of a head start on the rest of us. :D

Had the "L" plates back on again. :U

orraloon
17th December 2013, 09:20 PM
Really nice.
Regards
John

Mobyturns
18th December 2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys for the feed back & comments. The palm is not "black palm" but an unidentified Australian palm. Not much useable timber in it as this is taken just above the root ball section & is only about the outer 25-40mm of it useable. The core is much softer and prone to fast decay and also doesn't have the prominent dark fibres. The inner palm section of the palm tops is 4 laminated pieces seperated with a veneer that best matches the colour of the dark fibres.