PDA

View Full Version : The power of crowdsourcing

Mobyturns
18th December 2013, 07:46 AM
Cracked ferrules on tool handles.

I am requesting the help of WWF contributors / readers and their contacts to assess how many instances there are of cracked ferrules on any brand of purchased handled wood turning tools. I'm very interested in instances where the cracking is present on brand new tools or tools that have had very little or no use since purchase and have been stored well.

I know of several very reliable instances where the tools from prominent manufacturers were purchased with the crack present. In my instance the crack has developed since purchase, and not from use, with the tool being stored in a very dry fully enclosed garage / workshop. If anything I would have expected the ferrule to become loose from timber shrinkage rather than expand sufficiently to crack the tool ferrule. That of course depends upon the manufacturing & destination environments and the tool handle timbers original moisture content etc.

In my instance I have contacted the manufacturer and have had a very prompt reply. They have been very responsive pointing out their "tools carry a life-time guarantee so anyone who has a split ferrule should contact us and we will replace the handle free of charge."

“Please remember we produce tens of thousands of wooden handled tools and the percentage of tools that are reported with a split ferrule is extremely small.”

mjl09
18th December 2013, 08:49 AM
Good point about the warranty.

On quick check i have have five. Top 4 in the photo all from the one manufacturer - but given the tool identity they have been used a bit as well. The fifth as a dovetail recess tool probably hasnt had the same degree of use. All have been stored well since purchase.

Mobyturns
18th December 2013, 09:05 AM
Good point about the warranty.

On quick check i have have five. Top 4 in the photo all from the one manufacturer - but given the tool identity they have been used a bit as well. The fifth as a dovetail recess tool probably hasnt had the same degree of use. All have been stored well since purchase.

Thank you this is exactly the sort of example I am chasing.

dai sensei
18th December 2013, 09:24 AM
I had one of my Hamlets crack, but well used and have replaced with one of spare handles I had, and at home not with me.

tea lady
18th December 2013, 09:27 AM
Banging the dimple seems completely unnecessary to me. And seems to bring in an inherent weekness.:pi:

Sturdee
18th December 2013, 12:06 PM
I've checked all our 50 bought tools, some Record, Woodcut, P & N, Sorby, Gary Pye and Henry Taylors. Some were bought new some second hand and apart from the specialty tools all are used fairly well.

None of the ferrules show any signs mentioned but a brass ferrule I bought a few years ago from the Woodsmith for a home made tool does show it. Will replace that one with a copper pipe one before an accident occurs.

Thanks for alerting us to it. :2tsup:

Peter.

NeilS
19th December 2013, 08:39 PM
Have never had a ferrule crack. Have had most of the 'major' brands.

But, haven't purchased a pre-handled tool in recent years.

Mobyturns
19th December 2013, 11:48 PM
Here is a photo of three tools with cracked ferrules that have had very light use before being stored away in their original plastic sleves in a warm dry environment. They do crack, at least in Oz.

NeilS
20th December 2013, 11:08 AM
Here is a photo of three tools with cracked ferrules that have had very light use before being stored away in their original plastic sleves in a warm dry environment. They do crack, at least in Oz.

Moby - It's very clear from your pic what is causing this problem, as observed by Hughie and others, the punching is splitting the ferrules.

I would have thought that a ferrule that is thin enough to be punched deep enough to hold it in place is too thin anyway to be an effective ferrule.

If something extra is needed to secure the ferrule, the pin arrangement on the P&Ns seems like a better method.

Other than Hamlet, are there any other brand names with this unacceptable problem?

Mobyturns
20th December 2013, 03:07 PM
Moby - It's very clear from your pic what is causing this problem, as observed by Hughie and others, the punching is splitting the ferrules.

I would have thought that a ferrule that is thin enough to be punched deep enough to hold it in place is too thin anyway to be an effective ferrule.

If something extra is needed to secure the ferrule, the pin arrangement on the P&Ns seems like a better method.

Other than Hamlet, are there any other brand names with this unacceptable problem?

Neil,

I know of multiple instances with different brands in vastly different locations all with the same common failure. I'm trying to get an idea of how widespread the issue may be.

It is difficult to go about this without identifying particular brands as some are so iconic that even a small portion of the tool is easily recognizable. I have no intention or desire to hurt brands or companies. I just want to improve safety for wood turners hopefully make them aware of the potential hazards and risks of using tools with cracked ferrules.