PDA

View Full Version : Roof slates

Marc
4th June 2005, 06:38 PM
I am considering replacing roof tiles with FC slates. Has anyone had any experience with them?
I suppose I will have to replace battens, any thoughts?

http://www.famitchell.com.au/products/eternit-slate.html

PuppyPaw
5th June 2005, 12:56 AM
Have you thought about something a little more green friendly.
Black/dark roofs absorb more heat during the day, which in tern increases the temp in the house.

Lighter coloured roofs create less heat in the house meaning you don't need as much cooling during summer.

Marc
5th June 2005, 10:28 AM
Have you thought about something a little more green friendly.
Black/dark roofs absorb more heat during the day, which in tern increases the temp in the house.

Lighter coloured roofs create less heat in the house meaning you don't need as much cooling during summer.
You are right and I thought in painting my roof white for that very reason some years ago to my wife's bewilderment. Ended up compromising and opened two dutch windows in the roof achieving a nice ventilation.

Yet since I am planing to sell and move to a farm in Camden, this is a marketing exercise and judging from the new buildings with black or dark grey tiles, it seems that is what people like. Slates will make my property stand out from the rest of the mob around me.
Besides I do love slates ... I wonder if I can find green slates? :)

Metung
5th June 2005, 06:43 PM
I don't mind being corrected here, and probably will be, but I think I have read from reliable sources that as long as the roof space is properly ventilated and you have the correct ceiling insulation, the colour/ material of the roof is pretty much irrelevant.

Marc
7th June 2005, 06:12 PM
I don't mind being corrected here, and probably will be, but I think I have read from reliable sources that as long as the roof space is properly ventilated and you have the correct ceiling insulation, the colour/ material of the roof is pretty much irrelevant.
As an ex beekeeper, I know that a white box is OK a coloured one, (let alone a black one) can bring the beehive to a melt down. All about reflection or refraction and all that jazz.

However I agree with you that the additional temperature that a black roof inevitably transmit to the roof space underneath, can be mitigated by ventilation and insulation. A white roof would be more forgiving. Much more.

However when it comes to sell, all of the above is academic and all it counts is the wow factor. So I am counting on the slates to do just that. After all my current roof is dark grey already and bloody hot as it is.

But back to my original question, has anyone actually had any experience with Fibro Cement Slates at all?

PuppyPaw
7th June 2005, 09:06 PM
I don't have any personal experiance with them however I have experianced Fibro cement. Specifically my head being put through it by my sister as a kid and damn it was hard!

I have used it once before at a mates place to wall the outside of a shed and it was busty to work with but pretty strong!

all in all, if you think you will make the money back then it may be worth it.

seriph1
7th June 2005, 09:23 PM
Hi Marc

..... there are now a number of makers/distributors of this type of product and I reckon they all look ok as replica slate tiles.... I saw a couple at a trade show and was impressed by their "natural variations". You might want to ascertain what each brand uses to fix the tiles with - I recall one brand had a clip at the front that was visible from the street ..... kinda killed the illusion for me, though at the time I was told the clips were going to be powder coloured to match the tiles.

Dont know if you will need extra battens.....weight-wise it should be ok as you mention having existing tiles - but I imagine specs would be available and being wrong on this one could be disastrous.

:D:D

have fun!

Marc
7th June 2005, 09:34 PM
Hi Marc

..... there are now a number of makers/distributors of this type of product and I reckon they all look ok as replica slate tiles....
:D:D

have fun!
I was only able to find one, Eternit, can you tell me who else is out there?

seriph1
7th June 2005, 10:47 PM
can't recall the names, sorry ...... perhaps contact Archicentre or Master Builders Association..... had a convo today with someone about one brand theyre using but didnt get the name ..... will report back if something comes up.

seriph1
7th June 2005, 10:49 PM
http://www.nu-lok.com/australasia/default.asp

try this one

Metung
8th June 2005, 11:10 PM
Marc,

This is another product that might be worth looking at:

www.advancedroofing.com.au

adrian
8th June 2005, 11:28 PM
Yet since I am planing to sell and move to a farm in Camden, this is a marketing exercise and judging from the new buildings with black or dark grey tiles, it seems that is what people like. Slates will make my property stand out from the rest of the mob around me.
Besides I do love slates ... I wonder if I can find green slates? :)
Ask your real estate agent to come around and see whether you are adding any value to the house by doing it or increasing the saleability. I doubt that you will get the value in the sale price.
Leave the existing roof and if any potential buyer mentions it as a 'minus' you can tell them that you will contribute half the value of a slate restoration. Then it costs you half as much and the buyer thinks they are getting something for nothing On the other hand, maybe they might not even mention the roof and then you've saved thousands.

Marc
13th June 2005, 01:33 PM
Wow, some nice looking products there.
Thank you all.
Adrian, clever tip about asking the buyer to go half !

seriph1
22nd March 2008, 09:55 AM
just received my copy of the HIA magazine which featured another slate tile maker - or at least agents for..... - www.authenticroofaustralia.com.au - no idea about the firm itself, but am basically familiar with the US variant of the product which seems very good. Just thought I'd mention it.

paullmichelle
24th March 2008, 06:17 AM
The range of Terracotta is better now. You can still have the same look of slate, with a good range of colours....

Also less expensive!!!!

http://esvc000625.wic026u.server-web.com/SelectTile/default.aspx

McIvor Roof Restorers
Heathcote,Victoria

seriph1
24th March 2008, 07:34 AM
I found the terracotta or concrete "slate look" tiles were always too thick to be convincing - always thought "just make beautiful tiles....don't bother trying to make them look like something else" I must have a look ........... the link you posted didn't work for me.....
:)

seriph1
25th March 2008, 10:25 AM
Spoke to the importer of the "slate" tiles yesterday - lovely bloke....anyway, the product sounds spectacular - no fading, curling, out-gassing, cracking etc. 50 yr warranty and can hit it with a sledgehammer without breaking it. At 13 kilos per square metre, it is less than half the weight of slate and at around $70 per square metre ,a fraction of the price. Last quote I got for Welsh greys, was $181 PSM. I am getting a sample board delivered tomorrow.