PDA

View Full Version : So whadidya get?

craigb
4th June 2005, 10:03 PM
What did people spend there hard earned on at the show this year?

For myself I bought:

A cap
Some Trad wax
An 800 grit stone
A set of electronic verniers
A resaw bandsaw blade from Henry Bros
A roast beef roll
And a Pepsi

Cheap outing this year :rolleyes: :o

bitingmidge
4th June 2005, 10:08 PM
Cheap outing this year :rolleyes: :o

Not if the roast beef roll was the same price as at Brissy!

P
:D

craigb
4th June 2005, 10:11 PM
Not if the roast beef roll was the same price as at Brissy!

P
:D

$8.50 :eek:

AlexS
4th June 2005, 10:38 PM
Cap, Bellingham T-shirt, Trad wax, polish reviver, small countersink from McJing, hinges & brass chain, 2nd hand eggbeater drill, LA block plane, lotsa brochures.

Lost my parking ticket, had to pay $20 :(

craigb
4th June 2005, 10:46 PM
Lost my parking ticket, had to pay $20 :(

Bugger !

multinut
4th June 2005, 10:52 PM
cap,polish reviver,shelac,1 x free u-beaut pen (thanks doorstop),2 x prizes in the woodcarving competition,free parking :D :D :D

cheers
multinut
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Theva
5th June 2005, 03:21 AM
Spoils of Saturday afternoon trip

1) Foil cap for BH, I have no brains :rolleyes:

2) Some ornamental Vasse for BH, it was turned from old tallow fencepost. :p

and ,

3) Lie Nelson low angel smoother 164 for me :D :D

Free parking of course.

By the way, good to see U & Beaut again after two years, did not go last year. Neil looks as he has lost a lot of weight / waist & clean shaven!!!.

No stopping / changes with ChrisStopper; he kept on turning.

Regards,

Theva

Paul B
5th June 2005, 12:14 PM
An old deep throated 'G' clamp - perfect for gluing guitar bridges.
Two pieces of ringed myall that are stunning to look at - they'll become guitar fingerboards and bridges.

oges
5th June 2005, 07:26 PM
Forums non-foilie hat :rolleyes:
ubeaut water dyes
mallee stump and camphor slab (to hopefully make small table thingy)
white top burl

wanted to get the drum sander on demo at MIK for Intarsia work, maybe later on.

good to meet a lot of the guys on Saturday and Hovo on Sunday, took the young fella today (Sunday) 15 months never too young to appreciate woodwork! He quite liked the timber slabbers, wonder if we can convinvce mum to get him one for Christmas.

Babytoolman
5th June 2005, 09:08 PM
I got $19 sanding drum kit, EEE, Neils book, P&N 16mm Supa Gouge, and some drill bits, hairy oak penblank and um let me think there was one other thing..... oh yeah a Vicmarc VL175 from the Vermec boys.... get it in a few weeks.:) :)

graemet
5th June 2005, 10:39 PM
Amongst other trifles, two turning blanks, one jarrah burl and a bit of Tasmanian blackwood for a couple of fundraising event prizes for last night. The jarrah was a treat to turn and came up beautifully with EEE and then Shellawax. (Thanks Neil for the handbook!) The blackwood is a real coot, hairy endgrain big chunks coming out of the corners and started to split before I even had it roughed true. Gave up on it in disgust!!! Should have bought some of the camphor laurel with less figure. I might fill the cracks with superglue and try again later once I cool off!
Cheers,
Graeme

RETIRED
6th June 2005, 12:12 AM
This is off topic I know but I am allowed. :p

Graeme, in most cases you need a very sharp chisel and go down to a smaller gouge and take light cuts. You will probably have to use a scraper for the final cuts but I did not tell you that.

Some Blackwood can be a real bastard to turn. But man the results are worth it. :D

bsrlee
6th June 2005, 01:46 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, I bought one of the 'new' Timbecon MC660 lathes plus a set of cheap turning chisels & a spindle duplicator. Still haven't unpacked it as it takes up less room in the boxes :D

I had hoped to get back for a 2nd bite, to pick up some of the stuff I forgot, or wouldn't fit in the back seat of my friend's 4WD, but I just didn't get round to it :rolleyes: I 'spose I'll just buy it bit at a time over the next 12 months.

SWR
6th June 2005, 07:36 AM
Hello All,

After getting a leave pass and the all clear to "spend" from SWMBO, I got the following:

A re-saw blade & a fine bi-metal blade for general work for the band saw from Henry Bros. Some wierd alloy welding rods, this fancy"sparkly" plastic for turning handles and pen blanks, The best bowl guage ever made (in the words of the rep from P & N) lotsa wood to turn, a "blue" norton grinding wheel, an Incra mitre guage (the cheapie, but still waaaaay better than the one I had), some router bits and two magnets for welding steel at various angles....all in all a good day for the shed...

Spoke to lots of folk and generally had a blast....but did feel it was a bit of the same as last year as far as the exhibitors went anyway...

Scott in Peakhurst.

Pat
6th June 2005, 08:48 AM
A Folie cap, Australian Timber Buyer's Guide, Veritas Cabinate Scraper, a couple of Pfeil carving chisels, LN tool care kit, Veritas burnisher, Traditional wax , a Myrtle burl and a small sharpening stone. I regret not meeting anyone, but I had fun.

shaunburgess
6th June 2005, 09:29 AM
my wife got a nova midi chuck and some face plates, i got some router bits and a foiley hat, thanks ubeaut. Got permission to get my table saw, thank guy from Timbecon.:D :D :D :D

silentC
6th June 2005, 10:04 AM
A Ubeaut cap and a couple of bandsaw blades which I'd ordered from Henry Bros the week before. Managed to resist buying a mop and/or snuggle pillow (?).

Wasn't in the mood for spending money. I was mainly looking forward to the old tools but was very disappointed by what was there and the prices they were charging. Had a nice chat to Colen Clenton and I've given his and Terry Gordon's price lists to SWMBO for my birthday wish list.

Was good to catch up with some of the forum members too, even though a couple of them were responsible for the headache I had on Wednesday morning....

craigb
6th June 2005, 10:57 AM
A Ubeaut cap and a couple of bandsaw blades which I'd ordered from Henry Bros the week before. Managed to resist buying a mop and/or snuggle pillow (?).

Wasn't in the mood for spending money. I was mainly looking forward to the old tools but was very disappointed by what was there and the prices they were charging. Had a nice chat to Colen Clenton and I've given his and Terry Gordon's price lists to SWMBO for my birthday wish list.

Was good to catch up with some of the forum members too, even though a couple of them were responsible for the headache I had on Wednesday morning....

What about the Basil Fawlty ? :p ;)

silentC
6th June 2005, 11:15 AM
Don't mention the sandwich :p

Wongo
6th June 2005, 11:47 AM
1 EEE
2 Trad wax
3 a U-beaut pen (free)
4 sandpapers
5 some huon pine
6 some river red gum
7 freud ripping blade
8 DC accessories kit
:)

silentC
6th June 2005, 11:49 AM
And a bottomless bowl of noodles...

Wongo
6th June 2005, 11:53 AM
And a bottomless bowl of noodles...

yum-o

Greg Ward
6th June 2005, 01:39 PM
Call yourselves woodies? what about the wood?
Greg Ward

silentC
6th June 2005, 01:43 PM
You're kidding aren't you? Who can afford to buy wood??

;)

journeyman Mick
6th June 2005, 01:50 PM
You're kidding aren't you? Who can afford to buy wood??

;)

Much cheaper to buy a chainsaw instead ;)

Mick (hoarder of timber and owner of 3 chainsaws :) )

craigb
6th June 2005, 02:08 PM
Greg Ward

I did wander over to Boutique Timbers on the Saturday to say g'day but you were otherwise engaged with another show goer.

That was one impressive Cedar slab BTW :eek:

AlexS
6th June 2005, 02:31 PM
Greg Ward
Add to my list of other stuff a piece of purpleheart for a box I've been told I have to make. Pretty lurid stuff, and I reckon resawing it will be interesting.

oges
6th June 2005, 04:08 PM
Don't mention the sandwich :p

I still reckon you should have smacked him around the head like Basil does to Manuel on the show, that would have woken him up :D

Greg Ward

I saw you on the Saturday but you were busy running around with customers, impressive timbers you had but at sizes I wouldnt know what to do with ... plus being able to get them home on pub. transport.

Shannon
6th June 2005, 04:27 PM
Picked up:

Lots of inspiration from those schoolie wipper snappers,
Neils polishing bible - can't wait to try it out, though the pages don't really seem to do a good job of polishing I must be doing something wrong...... oh, I read the pages, then try it out :D :D :D
2 clamps
and 2 pieces of western red cedar which I have already spoken about in the timber forum :( :confused: :( I hope I can fix it 'cause I really did like it - and more to the point so did the wife, if all my timber splits like this she might not let me out to play as much.

Was a slacker and did not meet anyone - this time next year for sure!!
Sure had some fun but.
Cheers

Zed
6th June 2005, 05:00 PM
1) some huon pine
2) some more huon pine
3) a second hand metal vice
4) 3 water stones (800, 1200 & 4000) Oh no!!!! dark side cometh!!!
5) a cheapie metal pencil compass for drawing circles
6) foilies cap
7) shellac
8) EEE wax ultra shine
9) some finger boards with router table runners (yeah... I know I coulda made 'em - but they looked so nice!!!!!)
10) a machine stand (JET 1200lb adjustable)
11) loads of cattledogs
12) a couple of router bits in a box
13) some hardware for a blanket box (hinges, handles, braces...)

Things I did :

1) said hello to lots of you guys (oges, termite, craigb, silentc, wongo x2, burn, darrylf, boban, etc... sorry the rest of yerz cant remember...)
2) sneered and hissed at the GMC stand
3) sneered and hissed at the RYOBI stand
4) drilled 5 screws in a bit of wood in 12 seconds with a dewalt batt drill (not sure ofd the record but I wasnt close)
5) said hello to richard raffan, colen clenton, Terry Gordon, Jim Davey, neil, pauline, doorstop
6) didnt buy any food or snuggle pillows

cheers

Greg Ward
7th June 2005, 11:29 AM
Sorry I missed you guys, it was frenetic there at time, but you know where we are, and as I have said, Mal drops to Sydney each 6 weeks or so.
Maybe next year, or Newcastle?
Regards
Greg

Scally
7th June 2005, 03:11 PM
It took me 2 days to play with all the displays and after much tyre kicking I made a decision and bought an 8 inch powermatic jointer. It is a fair bit more expensive than the others but felt more comfortable with the quality. Time will tell.

Jet tenoning jig for the table saw. It is a big sucker.

Plenty of bits and pieces. Does anyone know where I can buy Hermes sandpaper in Sydney? This is good stuff.

Tiger myrtle boards for my cabinet doors.

Nearly bought a really pretty piece of Huon but some one else got it while I procrastinated.

Sorry I didn't get one of those neat little trolleys.

Really liked the 2 big figured Huon slabs of Greg's but they wouldn't fit in the car or wallet.
Was very impressed with the Lie-Nielson stand.

oh, and the first thing I bought was a Foilie cap.

oges
8th June 2005, 03:03 PM
Tiger myrtle boards for my cabinet doors.

If its the ones I saw at Brads Burls, they looked real nice

MikeK
8th June 2005, 03:30 PM
I only had 2 hours on sunday arvo at the show. I listened to a Terry Gordon lecture (that alone was worth the entry to the show) and ended up buying an Ebony 1 inch HNT Gordon Shoulder Plane.