PDA

View Full Version : A Young-en to learn an Old art (Adelaide)

Robbo14
23rd December 2013, 05:20 PM
Howdy all, been floating for the last week or so,

Mark A.K.A
23 Years of Age
Adelaide
Two children, Joshua 2, Emma is 8 Months
Previous woodwork skills - None (that's why i'm here)

Love the idea of woodwork by hand tools only, in saying that I'm sure to be using modern tools for the benefits. Have an awesome 7m x 7m shed that im trying to clear out and turn it into a workshop for my track bike (GSXR 600) and of course other man cave related hobbies.

First project will be a work bench from pine, Paul sellers work bench is amazing but this one has my eye Build a Work Bench On a Budget - Article: The Family Handyman (http://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workbench/build-a-work-bench-on-a-budget). Love that laminated look but more importantly requires a bit more skill then the average ply top, which is all part of the learning curve.

The DIY list looks like this

Work Bench
Shed shelving/storage (Need more room in that shed)
Bike work bench
Dog Kennel
Outdoor table (for the missus)

Sourcing basic tools at the moment, most troublesome being hand planes. Don't want to spend $200 first up, Brand new No 4 Stanley from Bunnings isn't recommended so im sort of stuck. Keeping an eye on Ebay but nothing has caught my eye.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas,

Regards,

Mark

Tankstand
23rd December 2013, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Mark,
Great start with the 7x7 shed! :2tsup:
'Tis a slippery slope that you've started on, that list will be huge before long. :D
Merry Xmas.

Perfect Pens
23rd December 2013, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the forums Mark !! and enjoy the plethora of info available.
For a 23yo you sound like you have your head screwed on and have a fairly clear direction of what you want and how your going to do it so good luck with it.
Keep an eye on the Market Place/Auction section as a lot of good gear comes up in their from time to time.

Once again good luck and enjoy. and a Merry X-Mas too.
Cheers
Tony.

tdrumnut
23rd December 2013, 08:39 PM
Gidday & welcome aboard Mark, may your journey with us be a pleasant one.

crowie
23rd December 2013, 08:46 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Mark".
There are quite a few members in and around Adelaide....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork and don't worry that shed will be way small quick enough.....
Have a safe & happy Christmas..
Cheers crowie

PS - Don't forget the toymaking section for the kids..... TOY MAKING (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/)

Robbo14
23rd December 2013, 10:51 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Mark".
There are quite a few members in and around Adelaide....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork and don't worry that shed will be way small quick enough.....
Have a safe & happy Christmas..
Cheers crowie

PS - Don't forget the toymaking section for the kids..... TOY MAKING (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/)

Thx for the welcome guys.

Went to bunnings few hours ago with Josh, he discovers "paiiiiinnnnn". I couldn't resist. Glue's not strong enough for the wings haha.

old1955
24th December 2013, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the forum Mark. Have a good Chrissy and New Year.

Robbo14
24th December 2013, 06:32 PM
Checking out Toolexchange for a planer, so many to choose from, don't know what to look for.

"Robbo14, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:" <------ This inst annoying. :~

Christos
26th December 2013, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I after reading your list of items that you want to make I think you got it slightly wrong with the order. I would have thought it would be better to have the wife's outdoor table first? :o

:U

Robbo14
26th December 2013, 08:25 PM
I have to space out my tools and machinery purchases. We all know a jointer/planer is required for an outside table set :roll:

rat52
26th December 2013, 10:16 PM
For second hand tools try the port market. I haven't been for a while but he was in the north west corner.

JJF
27th December 2013, 03:49 AM
Welcome to a forum

coffenup
29th December 2013, 07:44 AM
welcome Mark
from another south aussie
there is lots of info here
and lots of help
Regards Michael