PDA

View Full Version : Conserving Respirator Filters

bitingmidge
5th June 2005, 04:51 PM
I like to use a respirator when using epoxy or spraying lacquer, thinners etc, because it makes life very comfortable and I don't end up feeling drunk... (the Douglas Adams' kind of drunk that is.... "Ask a glass of water..."

The proper filters for this task cost a bomb....$30.00 or more and last not very long.... usually a week to ten days after opening.

In the past I have saved all the noxious activities for an annual week-long sprayfest, but thought earlier in the year that I'd try sealing the filters immediately after use.

Straight after use, I wrapped them in Cling-Wrap, as tightly as possible and pop them into a sealed plastic container ($2.00 from the Warehouse).

They've been used monthly more or less since early February, and are still functioning correctly as far as I can tell, (there's no smell getting through).

So... unless someone can enlighten me as to why one shouldn't do this, I suggest all those that think filters are too expensive to use, and risk their health by doing without, give this a go!

Cheers,

P

journeyman Mick
5th June 2005, 05:39 PM
Midge,
AFAIK, this is the correct method for extending the life of active carbon filters. 'Twas told to me by my safety gear supplier. If left unwrapped the carbon just keeps absorbing stuff out of the atmosphere until it's used up. The other method is to hold your breath :eek: !

Mick (going red in the face, trying to hold his breath :p )

bitingmidge
5th June 2005, 06:03 PM
'Twas told to me by my safety gear supplier.

I love that in a supplier!!

Mine just said "make sure you replace them every week or so, or when you start smelling the material you are using!"
:( :( :(

Cheers,

P (and thanks for that!) :D

Harry72
6th June 2005, 08:58 AM
Yup, we are supplied sealed containers at work to keep our carbon filters in, 3M make proper shaped containers for their respirators and I think protector safety does too.

Eastie
6th June 2005, 09:48 AM
Glad wrap then in a zip-lock type sandwich bag is one of the best ways to extend the life of the filters - squeeze out the bulk of the excess air before closing the bag.

soundman
15th June 2005, 12:03 PM
sundstrom strongly recomend putting your whole resperator in an airtight box when not in use. Of course they market a special box. A big tupperware or such is just the thing.
All new filters from sundstrom come vacume packed.

The other BIG factor in preserving filter life is airflow. Keep the air arround you as cleen as possible & the solvent concentrations as low as possible.

I did some work in a mates "booth" a while back & I wasn't getting a day from a filter. The air flow was far less than ideal.

cheers