PDA

View Full Version : A bit of different turning for me.

Sturdee
31st December 2013, 04:22 PM
Earlier this month, before I was struck down with an aggravated cold, I managed to make a Christmas present for my wife.

Earlier this year I bought from Mark at 043 Turning one of their foot long acrylic and a salad serving cutlery set with the intention of making the set for Elaine's birthday but never got around to it so I was glad I finished it as a Christmas present.

Cut the acrylic in half, turned it between centres, drilled the hole on the lathe, and then used a 6" nail (with the head cut of) as a mandrel to finish the end.

The set was glued into the hole with epoxy and then hand finished with the Micromesh set.

As green is her favourite colour it was much appreciated and the shape and size makes them pleasant to use.

Enjoy.

Peter.

powderpost
31st December 2013, 09:32 PM
Nice job Peter... :2tsup:
Jim

chuck1
31st December 2013, 10:30 PM
yes very nice job!

salty72
1st January 2014, 12:16 AM
very nice choice of colour ( my wife loves it also )

artme
1st January 2014, 07:19 AM
Nicely done Sturdee!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

It's always good to do something a little different.

Treecycle
2nd January 2014, 09:16 AM
Very nice Peter. Pity you didn't get them done for Elaine's birthday, we could have seen them first hand at the GTG at your place LOL.
Do you mean you mounted the nail in a chuck and fitted the acrylic tightly over it to finish the end?
They look good and I like the colour too.:2tsup:

Sturdee
2nd January 2014, 09:40 AM
Very nice Peter. Pity you didn't get them done for Elaine's birthday, we could have seen them first hand at the GTG at your place LOL.

They look good and I like the colour too.:2tsup:

But then I would have had to think of making something else for Christmas. :U I also love the colour and as it was one casting the handles matches perfectly. Doubt if you could get two pen blanks matching like that. Don't know if Mark still has them but for matching sets, pens or in my case salad serving set, they are the best.

Do you mean you mounted the nail in a chuck and fitted the acrylic tightly over it to finish the end?

I have athe Vermec collet chuck set which I used and the 6" nail fits into that perfectly and then with a bit of masking tape over the nail the blank was held firmly and straight ready for turning the end. The longer and larger nails come in different thicknesses and can be used very well for that kind of holding with a collet chuck.

Peter.