PDA

View Full Version : My first Diamond Shaped Bowl.

Sturdee
31st December 2013, 04:45 PM
Previously I intimated that I wanted to make some diamond shaped bowls, following on from the square edged and Triangle shapes that I made.

After two attempts here is the first successful one, made out of pine, length is 250 mm and width is 150 mm. Finish is stained with teak spirit stain, two coats of Minwax Antique oil and then buffed on my buffing system. For the reverse turning of the bottom I used a donut chuck, which was the most secure way of holding this kind shape.

Photos are the top, front and bottom views.

299040 and 299041

Enjoy,

Peter.

Christos
31st December 2013, 04:57 PM
An interesting piece.

artme
1st January 2014, 07:28 AM
I really like that!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Hermit
1st January 2014, 11:55 AM
Nice one Peter. It looks good. :2tsup:
I had to look up doughnut chucks - learned something new to add to the mental toolkit. Might try one when I reverse my current bowl. I was just going to tape it to a recessed plywood disc screwed to the faceplate.

powderpost
1st January 2014, 12:41 PM
Nice job :2tsup:. Be careful, you are in uncharted territory now Peter..:D

Jim

Sturdee
1st January 2014, 04:37 PM
Nice one Peter. It looks good. :2tsup:
I had to look up doughnut chucks - learned something new to add to the mental toolkit. Might try one when I reverse my current bowl. I was just going to tape it to a recessed plywood disc screwed to the faceplate.

Steve,

Making a doughnut chuck with about four different sized opening rings takes about the same time as a recessed plywood disk screwed to a face plate, just a bit more ply and some bolts. The advantage is that you can use it again and again and for different sizes. Also the bowl is held so securely that even at top speed (which I don't advocate) the bowl is held rock solid.

I have made three of them, a small one, a medium and a large one to suit each lathe as I got them but as they all have the same spindle thread I can use all on the largest lathe. I am about to make a special one to hold goblets as well.

I have also seen them made to fit around a chuck with Colejaws, so the bowl can be centred and then secured with the doughnut chuck.

Make one, and a few other of my holding jigs, and you will realize that jam chucking is a thing of the past.

Peter.

Sturdee
1st January 2014, 04:40 PM
Nice job :2tsup:. Be careful, you are in uncharted territory now Peter..:D

Jim

Thanks Jim, when I master these shapes I will move onto five sided and six sided shapes, then I really will be in strange territory :U

Peter.

Hermit
1st January 2014, 06:39 PM
Steve,

Making a doughnut chuck with about four different sized opening rings takes about the same time as a recessed plywood disk screwed to a face plate, just a bit more ply and some bolts. The advantage is that you can use it again and again and for different sizes. Also the bowl is held so securely that even at top speed (which I don't advocate) the bowl is held rock solid.

I have made three of them, a small one, a medium and a large one to suit each lathe as I got them but as they all have the same spindle thread I can use all on the largest lathe. I am about to make a special one to hold goblets as well.

I have also seen them made to fit around a chuck with Colejaws, so the bowl can be centred and then secured with the doughnut chuck.

Make one, and a few other of my holding jigs, and you will realize that jam chucking is a thing of the past.

Peter.

Thanks for that Peter. I'm convinced. I'd hate to ruin a good bowl right at the end while cleaning up the bottom, so the more firmly I can hold it the happier I'll be. I'll be buying a Longworth chuck shortly, the GPW 10", but even then a donut ring would be a good addition for some bowls.
I'll keep jam chucking for small stuff. A tape/jam chuck combo works well.
(Sorry for derailing your thread. :B)