PDA

View Full Version : WoodRat Plungebar vs Triton TRA001

Woodlice
6th June 2005, 12:06 AM
Crew

Been tossing up whether to get a WoodRat of late, just for fun, and noticed that the Plungebar accessory is not compatible with one of my routers.

Is the Triton router compatible with the WoodRat? Is there any way of making the Plungebar fit/work?

Cheers

NewLou
6th June 2005, 12:19 AM
GIdday:D

According to here:

http://www.woodrat.com.au/pb2.html

the Triton is not compatable with the Woodrat.......................Do you have one of the other Routers????

REgards Lou

Woodlice
6th June 2005, 12:43 AM
Hi Lou

I have a couple of old routers... Would rather use the new one but seeing as they fit the olds, might get one to test. If I cant live with out it I'll buy another if they make it compatible.

Probably should ask in the Triton forum, but do you know if anyone has modified the setup to fit the Triton router?

Cheers

NewLou
6th June 2005, 01:07 AM
Sorry Woodlice..........................Being a newb to Routing can't help you on that one.........I'd go with your first instinct and ask the boyz at the triton thread.....................Would't mind a woodrat myself so if you decide to take the plunge let us know what shes like!!!!!!

REgards Lou

Just George
6th June 2005, 08:34 PM
Woodlice,
What do you want to do with the Woodrat? Is it the height adjustment you are after? If it is the Triton is great, it has easy height adjustment using the handle as the winder and the microadjuster has the entire travel available rather than about 20 - 30mm. If you can find a Triton demonstration near you go and have a look and see what it's all about. www.triton.net.au (http://www.triton.net.au) has a demonstration schedule link which will tell you where and when one is being held.
Woody
Triton demonstrator
Mature Age Apprentice Cabinetmaker
Woodworker

Stuart
6th June 2005, 09:07 PM
Looking how it works, I don't see why it couldn't be adapted. Can't be that hard.

Woodlice
7th June 2005, 04:40 PM
Cheers Woody, just splurging. All of my tools bar the Triton router have been hand-me-downs so Im looking to accessorise and try new things out. Only whinge (see Al!) I have is that the handles could be a little more ergonomic for when using it freehand.

Stuey, after a bit of thought, Im gonna get the plunge bar for either a Makita or Hitachi and try and adapt it to the Triton - if it dont work, I havent lost out unless I bugger it when trying to adapt it. Fingers crossed that doesnt happen.

carbatecwa
7th June 2005, 05:58 PM
Woodlice,
Woodrat do not support the Triton router with a plunge bar. They say "why when the Triton has a inbuilt mechanical plunge feature". The Triton router will fit the woodrat. There are quite a few people who have fitted a Triton to the woodrat. As the Triton has a larger sub base (180mm) you will have to mount it further to the rear than normal to avoid covering some of the button settings.
You can access some info for fitting the Triton via the woodrat forum which can be found by following the links on the woodrat home page.
Any of the major brand routers will fit on the woodrat and a router such as the triton with its v/speed and exceptional depth capability makes it a good match. If I had to choose it would be either a Hitachi half inch v/s or the Triton.Most of our customers who have purchased a woodrat opt for either the Makita 3612c or the Bosch GOF1300ce.
Hope this is of some help.