PDA

View Full Version : Drill press quill feed return spring fitment

Com_VC
1st January 2014, 08:25 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick question.

When refitting the quill feed return spring does the quill need to be in a certain position? I was thinking fully retracted in it's closed position and than undoing the tension from the spring (spring already tensioned and tied up)

I'm not 100% sure so figure it's easy to ask.

Thanks

KBs PensNmore
1st January 2014, 08:35 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick question.

When refitting the quill feed return spring does the quill need to be in a certain position? I was thinking fully retracted in it's closed position and than undoing the tension from the spring (spring already tensioned and tied up)

I'm not 100% sure so figure it's easy to ask.

Thanks

I would fit the wound spring with the quill in the closed position (up) then untie the spring.
Kryn

simonl
1st January 2014, 11:31 PM
Hi there Com_VC,

I have always replaced such a spring with the quill retracted. If you pre-tension the spring (to the correct amount) with the quill extended, it would require more tension when fitting the quill. I would have thought that this would make the job needlessly more difficult.

Cheers,

Simon

Dingo Dog
2nd January 2014, 10:38 AM
Hi bloke

Seen a you tube video last week on that very subject, while looking for bearing replacement procedure on a column mill. Was a yank demonstrating how to remove a quill on a drill press.

DD

Com_VC
2nd January 2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the help all,

Got it sorted today :) What a pain that was haha. Had to remove and refit it a couple of times as the first few times there wasn't enough tension to fully retract the spindle.

As I had just finished doing the job, I think there would have been an easier way. If I needed some more tension, what I think may have worked is If I removed the quill from the drill press whilst holding onto the feed handle I could have then given the handle a few more turns to add some extra tension and then refit the quill. I think that should have worked?