PDA

View Full Version : Latest Bowl

Oldgreybeard
2nd January 2014, 05:13 PM
A couple of images of my latest bowl. I have no idea what the timber is, I scavanged it from a dump bin outside a building site. I am guessing it is a eucalypt of somw sort. The offcut was about 450 x 275 x 40 rough sawn. The bowl size is 260mm diameter and 35mm high. Wall thickness is about 3mm. This was my first attempt at a rolled edge.
Any tips to improve my technique are most welcome - good or bad :U

I have not finished the bottom. I am thinking if sandwiching a label between coats of clear apoxy (Name, email, type of timber, date) which would fill the recess for the chuck. Has anyone done this and was it successful? Also would appreciate help in identifying the timber.

Happy New Year
Bob

PS. Having to take a couple of photos was good excuse to play with my new toy - Nikon D800 camera. Unfortunately the quality suffers when dumbing down to a Jpeg image from a 200MB Photoshop image. Next time I will remember to take Jpeg images to avoid this problem.:doh:

Christos
2nd January 2014, 06:55 PM
Nice, It reminds me a little of a Frisbee.

Pat
2nd January 2014, 08:39 PM
Nice, It reminds me a little of a Frisbee. Christos, Cruel! :q

Bob, Rolled edges are fun, especially in getting a good finish "off Tool" under the rim. I agree with Eucy whatever being the timber.

A suggestion, the top does not flow well. You have a gentle roll from the rim and then a hard, sharp line into the wall of the bowl. A softer transition to the wall, would IMHO be more pleasing to the eye and touch.

Oldgreybeard
3rd January 2014, 08:51 AM
Christos, Cruel! :q

Bob, Rolled edges are fun, especially in getting a good finish "off Tool" under the rim. I agree with Eucy whatever being the timber.

A suggestion, the top does not flow well. You have a gentle roll from the rim and then a hard, sharp line into the wall of the bowl. A softer transition to the wall, would IMHO be more pleasing to the eye and touch.

Thanks for the comment. I was aiming for a clear separation between the rolled edge and the rim - rather than a sharp line, would a wider brim be a better approach?
Bob.

Oldgreybeard
3rd January 2014, 08:55 AM
Nice, It reminds me a little of a Frisbee.

Hi Christos - maybe our recollection of shapes declines with age - I can't see a frizby - couldn't catch one either so that may be the difference:D
Bob

Pat
3rd January 2014, 09:26 AM
Bob, like rolling a bead, start in the middle a gently shape the transition. I would use a Spindle gouge with a normal grind or a Bowl gouge with a non aggressive grind.

artme
3rd January 2014, 09:44 AM
Nice work there Bob!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Is it a bowl ot a platter.:?

Oldgreybeard
3rd January 2014, 10:15 AM
Nice work there Bob!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Is it a bowl ot a platter.:?

A good question - Ithink it is too deep for a platter, but that is probably a subjective decision. Here is a better image. I guess each can make thier own decision or are there some unwritten rules relating to dimensions which define what is a platter v. bowl v. hollow form, etc?

Bob

Sturdee
3rd January 2014, 11:04 AM
A good question - Ithink it is too deep for a platter, but that is probably a subjective decision. Here is a better image. I guess each can make thier own decision or are there some unwritten rules relating to dimensions which define what is a platter v. bowl v. hollow form, etc?

Bob

Actually IMO it is neither a bowl nor platter nor a hollow form but a dish.:U:U

But terminology doesn't matter it still looks good, as to your first question re a label epoxied onto the bottom I doubt it would work and wood detract from it. I would remount it in a doughnut chuck and remove the chuck marks instead.

Peter.

Oldgreybeard
3rd January 2014, 11:29 AM
Actually IMO it is neither a bowl nor platter nor a hollow form but a dish.:U:U

But terminology doesn't matter it still looks good, as to your first question re a label epoxied onto the bottom I doubt it would work and wood detract from it. I would remount it in a doughnut chuck and remove the chuck marks instead.

Peter.

Thanks Peter, I think that is what I will do and then use the Pyrographic tool to sign it.
Bob

Paul39
3rd January 2014, 12:31 PM
I recall there was a discussion about finishing bottoms in the forum. A search might turn it up and give you some ideas.

I agree that cleaning up the chuck marks and signing, is nicer than a label.

Christos
3rd January 2014, 03:13 PM
..... - I can't see a frizby - couldn't catch one either so that may be the difference:D
Bob

I can catch them but never done tried a horizontial to the ground catch. I think you need to be really fit for that type of exercise.

Cliff Rogers
3rd January 2014, 03:48 PM
Call it a round wooden pan. :2tsup:

What are the blurry bits on the sides on the inside? :?

Oldgreybeard
3rd January 2014, 03:57 PM
Call it a round wooden pan. :2tsup:

What are the blurry bits on the sides on the inside? :?

The blurry bits in the original image are Jpeg artifacts as a result of converting the 220MegaByte Photoshop image to a pproximately a 1/2 Mb Jpeg image. See new image posted this morning.
Bob

Cliff Rogers
3rd January 2014, 10:57 PM
:2tsup: