PDA

View Full Version : Removing cornice

Mowy
6th June 2005, 09:09 AM
Hi All,

What is the best way to cleanly remove cornice? Existing cornice is quite large and I am having trouble finding larger ones to cover the mess of old one.

Thanks
Mowy

Harry72
6th June 2005, 09:20 AM
Elbow grease, chip off what you can sand it scrape it what ever it takes... then patch it up with a filler, its not an 5 minute job at the best of times.
What are the walls finished with plaster or drywall?

Mowy
6th June 2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks Harry,

Plasterboard. Fun. Another long weekend wasted :(

namtrak
6th June 2005, 11:50 AM
Post a pic.

Ive been scoring along both edges of the existing cornice (where the cornice meets the ceiling and where the cornice meets the wall) and then popping it off with a small crow bar. Comes off fairly neatly - but I've been replacing it with a bigger profile and as such I have been covering up any mess. The main drama is removing the corners, because the cornice is held in the corners with a hard mix of plaster which is a lot harder to remove - needs to be sort of chipped out.

Cheers

Dan_574
6th June 2005, 08:17 PM
Why not buy a reciprocating saw and run that around the top and bottom, the blades are flexible and for $100 (GMC ) it would be well worth it.

johnc
6th June 2005, 08:50 PM
I go along Namtracks path, score along both edges with a knife, then knock a hole in the centre of the cornice and hook something in the gap and reef it off carefully. But after that its chisel and sandpaper, back to a smooth surface and clean up before refitting new cornice, but will try for larger if possible.

JohnC.