PDA

View Full Version : Brand of vsd

pjt
3rd January 2014, 01:02 AM
Hi all,
I am looking at a .75kw drive and motor for a fan. Thinking of doing the 1ph to 3ph conversion via the VSD, with the numerous VSD's that can be found on ebay Is there one brand to avoid? Are they all much the same as far as extra options? What are peoples experiences?
Cheers,
Pete.

Chris Parks
3rd January 2014, 01:43 AM
The motor will run on 220V 3 phase? it would have to be a pretty special motor and fan to warrant the cost of a VFD. Being a fan controller it might be worth while getting one with a rotary speed control on it, the ubiquitous Huanyang doesn't have a rotary speed controller and is one reason I stopped using them. It will control speed but only with the keyboard which is clumsy but some have fitted controllers after buying.

BobL
3rd January 2014, 04:26 PM
I have 4 VFDs, a 1.5kW SAJ on my MW lathe, 1.5kW Huanyangs on my Drill Press and WW lathe, and a 2.2 kW Huanyang for the belt sander I am still working on.
Rotary speed control closer to the machine is pretty simple to add for the cost of a 10K pot - I also place a FWD/REV switch alongside the speed control.

Probably I use the DP more than the others and so far it has been cycled on/off many many times and has run flawlessly.

I did see some Huanyang's on ebay with on board rotary speed controllers being sold out of Adelaide? for not much more than the Chinese ones but can't see them anymore.

Chris Parks
3rd January 2014, 05:27 PM
I have 4 VFDs, a 1.5kW SAJ on my MW lathe, 1.5kW Huanyangs on my Drill Press and WW lathe, and a 2.2 kW Huanyang for the belt sander I am still working on.
Rotary speed control closer to the machine is pretty simple to add for the cost of a 10K pot - I also place a FWD/REV switch alongside the speed control.

Probably I use the DP more than the others and so far it has been cycled on/off many many times and has run flawlessly.

I did see some Huanyang's on ebay with on board rotary speed controllers being sold out of Adelaide? for not much more than the Chinese ones but can't see them anymore.

Bob, You can add a rotary controller if you know how but some people would not know a 10k pot of it but them. As a rule and I have dealt with a couple of hundred VFD's starting with Huanyang and moving to others and generally the Huanyang are not available on Ebay with a speed controller.

BobL
3rd January 2014, 05:49 PM
Bob, You can add a rotary controller if you know how but some people would not know a 10k pot of it but them. As a rule and I have dealt with a couple of hundred VFD's starting with Huanyang and moving to others and generally the Huanyang are not available on Ebay with a speed controller.

I know what you mean but I also think PJT would be able to manage connecting up a Pot without too much of a prob.

pjt
4th January 2014, 12:56 AM
The motor will run on 220V 3 phase? it would have to be a pretty special motor and fan to warrant the cost of a VFD. Being a fan controller it might be worth while getting one with a rotary speed control on it, the ubiquitous Huanyang doesn't have a rotary speed controller and is one reason I stopped using them. It will control speed but only with the keyboard which is clumsy but some have fitted controllers after buying.

It's just an ordinary forward curved fan wheel, I have to buy a motor for it, a 1ph is dearer than a 3ph so I figure go 3ph and just use a VFD, then I can have all the benefits of the VFD and none of the downsides of a 1ph.

Pete