PDA

View Full Version : Is there insulation that goes under carpet?

I_wanna_Shed
6th June 2005, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I have done a search on here and have read alot about sub-floor insulation. I don't really want to install insulation under the house for various reasons all mentioned on here.

What I want to know is, is there any type of insulation (cold) available that goes underneath the carpet? We will be replacing the carpets in some of our home soon, and thought that it would be a good time to install some insulation, if infact any of this type is available.

Thanks everyone,
Nathan.

scooter
6th June 2005, 05:02 PM
Gday Nathan, I imagine the function of conventional underlays, whether foam or rubber, would (among other things) be to to have some insulating effect, both thermal and sound.

We had new carpet laid recently, and got the better of the 3 types of Bridgestone rubber underlay, I think it was either "gold" or "platinum", it was thicker than the other two which would insulate fractionally better than the others I'd reckon, as well as being nicer underfoot.

What is your subfloor, chipboard or floorboards?

.....cheers..............Sean the carpet sneak

julianx
6th June 2005, 05:28 PM
Hi
The heat loss and gain through the floor of a building is minimal compared to roof and walls as hot air rises. If you don't already have bulk insulation in the ceiling this would be a good investment, heavy drapes at the windows are also a good idea as heat loss through glass is pretty high.
Scooter is right, the carpet and underlay are good insulaters in themselves.
I have an old dos program somewhere that calculates the R value of differant building products if I can find it, and get it to work I will work out the R value of carpet and post it.

I_wanna_Shed
7th June 2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks Scooter and Julianx. I guess the heat loss through the floor would be minimal (the main room is an extension and is chipboard, rest of the house is floorboards).

We have a tin skillion roof so I will have to have a look up there and see if any form of insulation is up there. I don't think there is, so I will get some quotes to get some added.

Thanks again.
Nathan.