PDA

View Full Version : I have colour !

Arron
6th January 2014, 03:02 PM
After my own rather underwhelming attempts to pressure-dye veneer I gave up and decided to purchase some ready-dyed from overseas. Its actually quite inexpensive, its the postage that is a shocker.

I recognise that artificially dyed veneer has an unnatural look that many people wont like, but there are some things which are so defined by their colour that they dont look right any other way. Like frogs for example. As far as most people are concerned frogs are green and thats that.

Heres a quick and dirty frog. Green and red dyed tulipier, natural sycamore (white), natural macassar ebony (dark brown) on a blue gum (I think) background.

cheers
Arron

chrisb691
6th January 2014, 03:52 PM
That's a nice frog. :2tsup:

Where did you end sourcing the dyed veneer from?

Wongo
6th January 2014, 03:54 PM
Very nice.

cava
6th January 2014, 04:23 PM
That looks great. :2tsup: How long did it take to do?

Christos
6th January 2014, 05:25 PM
Nothing wrong with using dyed veneer. Very nicely done.

Arron
6th January 2014, 05:36 PM
Where did you end sourcing the dyed veneer from?

here : Dyed Veneers (http://www.dyed-veneer.com/dyed_veneers.aspx)

That looks great. :2tsup: How long did it take to do?
that's a hard question because I don't do it continuously - because I tend to glue bits in place as I go, so I will do a bit then leave it for the glue to dry, then come back to it later. I guess I'd estimate its about an hours work all up for the marquetry - then pressed onto plywood overnight and cleaned up and face sanded the next morning. This one is done mainly by scroll saw, because its fairly chunky, with the eyes and toes done later by scalpel.

cheers
Arron

col's dad
23rd January 2014, 07:52 PM
Hi Arron, I have a question, While watching antique Road show one of the experts mentioned in passing that when you use coloured veneer that it is called?????. IT was then that my wife spoke and I didn't hear what he said it was called , do you or anybody else know the name for it is? CD:?

Arron
23rd January 2014, 08:13 PM
I dont. Unless the word he used was 'cheating':D

Skew's_Girl
23rd January 2014, 08:20 PM
I love it! That'd make a great insert into a table, under glass.

Keep it up!

McNeil
26th January 2014, 11:33 AM
Great job, I love it.

Arron
26th January 2014, 11:53 AM
Frogs, it seems, have near-universal appeal.
Everyone likes frogs, butterflies and flowers.
Here's another frog, unfinished.
cheers
Arron

Robson Valley
28th January 2014, 04:44 AM
Those frogs have what I call a "moment in time" pose. Not a static portrait.

Dyed veneer. I'm a retired Botany/Biology/Wood Science prof. Various dyes are used as stains to jack up the contrast in wood sections to be examined with a compound light microscope. The stains come in every color imaginable. I suggest you pay a visit to the Botany Department of any of your local universities. What you want to ask for might be:

Saffranin O (red)
Fast Green FCF
Orange G
Toluidine Blue

I would hope that they would measure out a gram or two and provide some process hints as well.

I have about 200 wood species in my microscope slide collection, the stained sections are as brilliant now as they were 40+ years ago.

Evanism
9th February 2014, 08:15 AM
Frogs, it seems, have near-universal appeal.
Everyone likes frogs, butterflies and flowers.
Here's another frog, unfinished.
cheers
Arron

And kittens. Only people without a sole doesn't love a kitten.

Awwwww.

Evanism
9th February 2014, 08:22 AM
Those frogs have what I call a "moment in time" pose. Not a static portrait.

Dyed veneer. I'm a retired Botany/Biology/Wood Science prof. Various dyes are used as stains to jack up the contrast in wood sections to be examined with a compound light microscope. The stains come in every color imaginable. I suggest you pay a visit to the Botany Department of any of your local universities. What you want to ask for might be:

Saffranin O (red)
Fast Green FCF
Orange G
Toluidine Blue

I would hope that they would measure out a gram or two and provide some process hints as well.

I have about 200 wood species in my microscope slide collection, the stained sections are as brilliant now as they were 40+ years ago.

This sounds like a very interesting option! I'd imagine the dyes are sold in big boxes of 50 colours.

Did/do they have a name or manufacturer? Perhaps you might know where they are sold?

Big Shed
9th February 2014, 08:32 AM
A set of dyes is also available here:

U-Beaut Polishes - NON TOXIC WATER DYES (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/dye.html)

Robson Valley
9th February 2014, 08:49 AM
Big Shed has a far better solution to the puzzle.

The laboratory dyes are sold from open stock by the Scientific Laboratory supply companies, Fisher Scientific, for example. You would likely have to go through some Uni to buy any.
The 4 that I mention were the ones of greatest usage in my lab.
Crystal violet is a wild color but we didn't need it.

Evanism
10th February 2014, 12:48 AM
A set of dyes is also available here:

U-Beaut Polishes - NON TOXIC WATER DYES (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/dye.html)

I'll grab one of these. Next it's a matter of finding some of those woods: tulipier, anegre and sycamore.....