8th January 2014, 10:50 PM
Gorgeous!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
9th January 2014, 08:12 AM
I will fix them later on.

This what he said about the kitchen coupbaords that took 4 years.:p

chuck1
9th January 2014, 08:58 AM
they are on there side so Woodturner don't have to tilt their heads! I do this when looking at table legs and balusters that are installed!

RETIRED
9th January 2014, 09:29 AM
Fixed.

tea lady
9th January 2014, 09:37 AM
Great bowl. I would be wary of putting "aboriginal art" on something unless you are one. Which I have no way of knowing. Just saying.

If you do want to use spots as a motif maybe use differant colours. I dunno. Maybe just not call it aboriginal art.:shrug:

smiife
9th January 2014, 07:33 PM
Great boitl. I would be wary of putting "aboriginal art" on something unless you are one. Which I have no way of knowing. Just saying.

If you do want to use spots as a motif maybe use differant colours. I dunno. Maybe just not call it aboriginal art.:shrug:

Hi guys,
Changed the the title , hope I didn, t offend any one oooooppppppssss:o
But then ............... I never said I painted it did i:roll:
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

chambezio
9th January 2014, 07:59 PM
Hi MICHAEL!!
Got it right this time :roll:

I think the whole job is a beauty!! Not only the turning but the use of the dot colouring.
Nice choice of colour
There's something about the dot colours that makes you look at them (maybe its just me getting mesmerised by the pattern)

Hermit
9th January 2014, 09:10 PM
Love it Michael. :clap:
That would definitely cover my dirty, grey CL, too.

You could call it 'Aboriginal-style', I think, without offending anyone.
It definitely looks the part. Nice work.

powderpost
9th January 2014, 09:36 PM
Dot art is not a traditional aboriginal art form. This style was introduced in the late 70's by a non aboriginal man, to aboriginal people in the Northern Territory. However, calling art done by non aboriginal people is most definitely frowned upon.

"You’ll be surprised to learn that dot painting on canvas emerged in central Australia in the early 1970s as a result of Aboriginal people working together with a white art school teacher, Geoffrey Bardon [1]." A quote from another source.

Read more: Are dot paintings traditional Aboriginal art? - Creative Spirits (http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/arts/are-dot-paintings-traditional-aboriginal-art#ixzz2ptfzBntD)

By the way, I like what you have created... :2tsup:

Jim

tea lady
9th January 2014, 10:53 PM
Dot art is not a traditional aboriginal art form. This style was introduced in the late 70's by a non aboriginal man, to aboriginal people in the Northern Territory. However, calling art done by non aboriginal people is most definitely frowned upon.

"You’ll be surprised to learn that dot painting on canvas emerged in central Australia in the early 1970s as a result of Aboriginal people working together with a white art school teacher, Geoffrey Bardon [1]." A quote from another source.

Read more: Are dot paintings traditional Aboriginal art? - Creative Spirits (http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/arts/are-dot-paintings-traditional-aboriginal-art#ixzz2ptfzBntD)

By the way, I like what you have created... :2tsup:

JimThat is interesting. But I still think it s abit frowned apon to call it "aboriginal art" or even style unless you are one. DOn't call it anything. Just painted would be enough. :cool:

I do like the bowl. :2tsup:

smiife
10th January 2014, 05:51 PM
Hi guys,
T.L. I promise I wil not use the A.A. words again:no:

Jim, thanks for the info very interesting, and thanks for your comments too:;

Richard ooppss sorry Rod,:U i also like the effect of the dots:;

Hermit, thanks for your comments too, how is the dirty C.L.:U

On a serious note i had no intention of upsetting anyone
and if i have i would like to appolgise ,
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Hermit
10th January 2014, 09:29 PM
Hermit, thanks for your comments too, how is the dirty C.L.:U

It still looks pretty dirty, but at least now it's nice and shiny. I think the DO helped a bit, but there was just too much grey.
I've just got one coat of DO to go tomorrow, (the 4th), then I'll post a finished pic.

Mobyturns
11th January 2014, 02:10 PM
Smiife,

Nice work, keep at it. :2tsup:

Jims link highlights how art evolves and how it is abstracted into other forms by using other techniques, materials etc.

Have a look at Neil & Liz Scobies combined works. :2tsup: Yes they have a definite connection to the Australian colour palette, using vibrant blues, greens and the desert sands red browns etc. They may have a similarity to aboriginal art most probably from the inspiration they drew upon from their artist in residence days at Uluru, but to me they are "Scobie's."

I would not be discouraged to pursue this sort of design you just have to make it a "Smiife." :wink:

smiife
12th January 2014, 04:56 PM
Mobyturns,
Thanks for the words of encouragement, i must admit that
I hadn, t thought about trying to steal any ideas from the
Aborigines, this design came from my head and just evolved
from there, I can, t see that it is any different than using an
Asian influence or an american indian design or aztec designs
or african ,,, etc,..just trying to do something a bit different
to what i normally do...
Cheers smiife:2tsup: