PDA

View Full Version : A couple of salvage bowls

TTIT
9th January 2014, 10:49 PM
Rescued the burl from the banks of the Comet River after this big Blue Gum came down in the 2011 flood - rare for them to fall away from the river. Wasn't much of the bank left past the burl , just a 25' drop - was ready to go tree surfing at any time!! :U The bowl was turned from a piece of the side that is still attached to the tree in the photo - was for some friends who wanted a special wedding present for some friends of theirs so it was done at mates rates - very hard to part with this one :C. About 380x80 and finished with Kunos oil.

The Sally wattle bowl was from the neighbours place - I watched that tree start from seed just 8 or 9 years ago when a young bloke renting the house put in a herb garden and thought it was one of his seeds coming up :no:. It dropped a branch on Gregs ute (current owners) last summer so it didn't stand a chance and I reassured Emma I would make a memento of her tree from it. Presented it as a xmas offering - loved it to bits!!! About 300x140 and finished with Kunos oil (love that stuff!!!:U )

powderpost
9th January 2014, 10:59 PM
Both nice bowls Vern, :2tsup: but I prefer the sally wattle bowl, both for the shape and the timber. I am not fond of burls, but that is just me, :shrug:
Jim

tea lady
9th January 2014, 11:01 PM
Well the Kunos oil seems to work. :D

Dalboy
10th January 2014, 06:42 AM
You certainly find some great pieces of wood that side of the world. You have made a great job of both the bowls. The second is my favourite one of the two great wood colouring and shape

chuck1
10th January 2014, 08:05 AM
I really like the definition in the rim of the Sally bowl! and very nice burl! I must ask my mate's if I can go for a Bush walk with my Chainsaw!

Dalboy
10th January 2014, 08:16 AM
I really like the definition in the rim of the Sally bowl! and very nice burl! I must ask my mate's if I can go for a Bush walk with my Chainsaw!

Take your mates with you they can help carry some of the logs:;:biggrin2::biggrin2:

needs sandin
10th January 2014, 09:10 AM
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

artme
10th January 2014, 10:17 AM
Love ém both Vern!!! But for me the Sally is the pick!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ndp_2010
10th January 2014, 10:28 AM
both look great especially the second one.

elderly
10th January 2014, 10:40 AM
Two very nice pieces.
Cheers Frank.

TTIT
10th January 2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the comments guys - much appreciated :U. Must admit I'm surprised the preference seems to be for the Sally bowl but it did come up very nice for such a fast grown tree.

dai sensei
10th January 2014, 09:31 PM
Beautiful Vern as usual :2tsup:, but I too like the acacia more too in this case :-

TTIT
10th January 2014, 09:34 PM
Forgot to mention that the Blue Gum bowl was actually supposed to be my 'instant gallery' piece (with the oil barely dry!) for Proserpine but plans changed and I couldn't make it :C

Mobyturns
11th January 2014, 01:46 PM
Forgot to mention that the Blue Gum bowl was actually supposed to be my 'instant gallery' piece (with the oil barely dry!) for Proserpine but plans changed and I couldn't make it :C

Buggar! Would have been good to see these up close. The blue gum burl bowl looks great.

Willy Nelson
12th January 2014, 12:09 PM
Hey Vern
I like the form of the Burl bowl, but the form and grain of the Sally is stunning, good job

Sincerely
Willy

Jarrahland

brendan stemp
12th January 2014, 12:14 PM
Nice work Vern. The Sally wattle bowl has the best from to it in MHO.

Beesncheese
9th February 2014, 10:36 AM
They are stunning !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bowl-basher
9th February 2014, 03:28 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:I would just love to see the slab that was the next cut down from where you cut the burl I think that may be worth a bit of chainsaw work

TTIT
9th February 2014, 04:59 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:I would just love to see the slab that was the next cut down from where you cut the burl I think that may be worth a bit of chainsaw workYou can go grab it if you want! - the whole tree is still sitting there - all we took was the burls off the surface :cool:

hughie
9th February 2014, 07:10 PM
musta missed this one :no: some how. Any way like em both. :2tsup:

bowl-basher
10th February 2014, 10:17 AM
You can go grab it if you want! - the whole tree is still sitting there - all we took was the burls off the surface :cool:

Would love to just a couple of small hurdles…… no lathe….. no shed…… and to far to drive there and back in time to cook dinner :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Big A
12th February 2014, 09:23 PM
Nice Sally Wattle bowls TTIT. Sally and Black are the same are they not? There is some nice colour, pattern and variation in this wattle.

Next time you go to Rockhampton, look on the right hand side of the road just over the Dawson River, not far from the stone pitching. You will see the remains of a Black Wattle. The rest of it is in the yard here, except for a couple of bits I gave to Ray Shaw and the two bowls and ring stand that are under the house waiting for someone to take a liking to.

The tree was down but still rooted, so full of water, so the pieces I have turned I did green and dried in a microwave and finished. Cuts well green but a bit hard dried. I finished with WOP gloss.

(No pictures, so it did not happen, eh? I can if somebody really wants a looksee.)

"A".

TTIT
12th February 2014, 10:47 PM
Nice Sally Wattle bowls TTIT. Sally and Black are the same are they not? There is some nice colour, pattern and variation in this wattle.

Next time you go to Rockhampton, look on the right hand side of the road just over the Dawson River, not far from the stone pitching. You will see the remains of a Black Wattle. The rest of it is in the yard here, except for a couple of bits I gave to Ray Shaw and the two bowls and ring stand that are under the house waiting for someone to take a liking to.

The tree was down but still rooted, so full of water, so the pieces I have turned I did green and dried in a microwave and finished. Cuts well green but a bit hard dried. I finished with WOP gloss.

(No pictures, so it did not happen, eh? I can if somebody really wants a looksee.)

"A".Heading that way tomorrow actually! I'll see if I can remember to spot it :;
You're right that it is commonly called Black Wattle by many but so are about a hundred other species of acacia so I always choose to call it Sally Wattle which comes from its botanical name 'Acacia salicina'. Common names are a huge cause of confusion - comes down to which side of town you grew up on in many cases! :shrug: