PDA

View Full Version : Multi center turned chess set WIP

tea lady
11th January 2014, 12:29 PM
One hesitates to start another multi center turning thread. :C:D But I am all for taking risks.:cool:

Red Gum and Myrtle. Started with approximately 30 mm diameter. I have drilled a small hole in the base so I can put them on a little screw chuck at the end to finish the top of the ball. Pawns nearly half done. Other pieces will be even more complicated. Will ebonize the myrtle I think cos the colours are to similar and myrtle is boring. And for the knights I have a cunning plan. http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.png:

My friend is contemplating a red gum or jarrah burl topped table with the white squares inlay-ed. Was going to make my own, but maybe I will let him make it. http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.png. Maybe I shoudl turn the legs in a similar manner to the pieces.:think:

Sorry about the bad phone pics.

brendan stemp
11th January 2014, 03:49 PM
You obviously need more practise with the max turning but keep it up, you might get there one day:D:D

Looking good TL AM

tea lady
11th January 2014, 06:29 PM
:rolleyes::U

Dalboy
12th January 2014, 09:28 AM
So Far so good Tea Lady they are looking great look forward to seeing how you have designed the rest of the set especially the knight.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

As I mentioned in your candle stick thread this is something that I have not yet done (multi centre turning) and is now on a very long TUIT list.

tea lady
12th January 2014, 10:43 AM
Will put some pics of the process to when I remember to bring the camera to the "studio". (Can you tell I use to be a potter? Shed, its called. SHED. :rolleyes::U )

powderpost
12th January 2014, 12:02 PM
Probably a bit late now T.L, but when I make chess sets I bore a hole in the bottom of the pieces about the size of two ten cent coins and fill it with lead. That makes the pieces more stable. The lead plugs were made by boring a hole in some hard wood and pouring the lead into the hole. You will need a a few "moulds" as they tend to char. The plugs were glued in with araldite and covered with felt.
Turning was done on a scroll chuck fitted with pin jaws. That could be a bit of a problem with the multi centre turning?

Jim

Paul39
12th January 2014, 12:04 PM
Will put some pics of the process to when I remember to bring the camera to the "studio". (Can you tell I use to be a potter? Shed, its called. SHED. :rolleyes::U )

Turners who sell things for lots of money have studios. Keep calling it a studio.

jimbur
12th January 2014, 01:56 PM
Turner formerly potter. Reminds me of a place we owned. On the title was listed the previous owner's occupation as plumber formerly gentleman.:D

A Duke
12th January 2014, 02:42 PM
I don't think potter to turner is as far down the ###### slope as gentleman to plumber.
:? :wink:
Regards

jimbur
12th January 2014, 03:00 PM
I don't think potter to turner is as far down the ###### slope as gentleman to plumber.
:? :wink:
Regards
Not as far as the gap between gentleman and honourable gentleman.:D

A Duke
12th January 2014, 05:35 PM
Not as far as the gap between gentleman and honourable gentleman.:DThat would be right in the cesspool at the bottom of said slope.
:roflmao2:
Regards

tea lady
12th January 2014, 06:01 PM
Probably a bit late now T.L, but when I make chess sets I bore a hole in the bottom of the pieces about the size of two ten cent coins and fill it with lead. That makes the pieces more stable. The lead plugs were made by boring a hole in some hard wood and pouring the lead into the hole. You will need a a few "moulds" as they tend to char. The plugs were glued in with araldite and covered with felt.
Turning was done on a scroll chuck fitted with pin jaws. That could be a bit of a problem with the multi centre turning?

JimAh yes A little bit late for these ones. If hole was wide enough could still multi center on the bottom. Live center only goes about 5 mm off center. Then weight and felt would cover it. So what do you melt the lead in? Crucible and little kiln?

Turners who sell things for lots of money have studios. Keep calling it a studio.:cool:

powderpost
12th January 2014, 09:59 PM
Ah yes A little bit late for these ones. If hole was wide enough could still multi center on the bottom. Live center only goes about 5 mm off center. Then weight and felt would cover it. So what do you melt the lead in? Crucible and little kiln? :cool:

No, it was a high tech. solution, :) gas torch to melt the lead in a metal soup ladle from an opp. shop.
Jim

TTIT
12th January 2014, 10:14 PM
Interesting project TL - will be watching with interest :U

Tim the Timber Turner
13th January 2014, 08:47 AM
. So what do you melt the lead in? Crucible and little kiln?

:cool:

Another easier way to add lead ballast is to use "Lead Wool".

It's like steel wool only lead.

You just tamp it into a drilled hole.

It was used in the old days to join cast iron pipes.

Suggest you find an older plumber and ask if he has any in his kit.

I have cast lead weights to insert into biased ring bowls.

Lead wool is easier, no hot metal and no fumes.

Cheers

Tim:)

tea lady
13th January 2014, 11:02 AM
No, it was a high tech. solution, :) gas torch to melt the lead in a metal soup ladle from an opp. shop.
Jim:doh: Do you hold the torch on the ladle or the lead?

Another easier way to add lead ballast is to use "Lead Wool".

It's like steel wool only lead.

You just tamp it into a drilled hole.

It was used in the old days to join cast iron pipes.

Suggest you find an older plumber and ask if he has any in his kit.

I have cast lead weights to insert into biased ring bowls.

Lead wool is easier, no hot metal and no fumes.

Cheers

Tim:):think: "find an old plumber" Sounds scary. :P Where do I look? The pub? :think:

I was pondering cutting little circles out of lead flashing. Put a stack in each.

issatree
13th January 2014, 11:38 AM
Hi TL,
A much easier solution, is to find some Sheet Lead. Drill the hole, not to big, & say ½" in.
You then need a Wad Punch, place on some Timber, & wallop out quite a few Round Lead Pieces.
Most likely to Tamper them in with a bit of Dowel & Loctite 401 Super Glue as you go.
You only need 1 / 2 drops.
If you use a Felt Bottom, then you are hiding something.
Quite easy to make a small disc to fill the hole, Sand.
This Project could be ready for Nunawading 2014.

tea lady
13th January 2014, 11:51 AM
Hi TL,
A much easier solution, is to find some Sheet Lead. Drill the hole, not to big, & say ½" in.
You then need a Wad Punch, place on some Timber, & wallop out quite a few Round Lead Pieces.
Most likely to Tamper them in with a bit of Dowel & Loctite 401 Super Glue as you go.
You only need 1 / 2 drops.
If you use a Felt Bottom, then you are hiding something.
Quite easy to make a small disc to fill the hole, Sand.
This Project could be ready for Nunawading 2014.Yes wad punch would be quick.

Am pondering one for Nunawading. Hopefully make a few first as practice. :cool:

Dalboy
13th January 2014, 12:05 PM
A solution would be to find a guns smith who sells lead shot for people to make their own cartridges, drill hole and fill with that. I also use to get mine from a model shop they use it for ballast in keels of model boats then it was epoxied in to stop it moving.

tea lady
13th January 2014, 12:38 PM
A solution would be to find a guns smith who sells lead shot for people to make their own cartridges, drill hole and fill with that. I also use to get mine from a model shop they use it for ballast in keels of model boats then it was epoxied in to stop it moving.:2tsup: ta.

Big Shed
13th January 2014, 01:35 PM
Doesn't have to be a gunsmith, most gun shops sell lead shot, no gun licence required.

In fact I went to our local gun shop because I needed some for a dead blow mallet, they gave me what I needed free of charge!:2tsup:

chuck1
13th January 2014, 07:01 PM
fishing sinkers might not be cost effective?

tea lady
13th January 2014, 09:04 PM
fishing sinkers might not be cost effective?Not quite the right shape. Need wide flat.:)

dai sensei
13th January 2014, 09:33 PM
Aren't the pawns a bit big wrt other pieces, or are they just not finished :?

Not quite the right shape. Need wide flat.:)

A hammer would soon fix that :rolleyes:

tea lady
13th January 2014, 11:11 PM
Aren't the pawns a bit big wrt other pieces, or are they just not finished :?

They are all the pawns of both teams. Other pieces I will do in batches as well.

Hermit
16th January 2014, 11:29 PM
TL, these guys', ('Consolidated Alloys', links below), head office is in Thomastown. They supply both lead shot in 10kg boxes and lead wool in 3kg bundles. Might be worth a ring or an email. (There's an enquiry form on their 'Contact' page.):

Consolidated Alloys :: Lead Wool (http://www.cagroup.com.au/Lead_Wool.asp)
Consolidated Alloys :: Lead Shot (http://www.cagroup.com.au/Lead_Shot.asp)

Edit: They also have lead discs, if they're more suitable, here:
Consolidated Alloys :: Lead Washers and Discs (http://www.cagroup.com.au/Lead_Washers_and_Discs.asp)

tea lady
17th January 2014, 12:07 AM
TL, these guys', ('Consolidated Alloys', links below), head office is in Thomastown. They supply both lead shot in 10kg boxes and lead wool in 3kg bundles. Might be worth a ring or an email. (There's an enquiry form on their 'Contact' page.):

Consolidated Alloys :: Lead Wool (http://www.cagroup.com.au/Lead_Wool.asp)
Consolidated Alloys :: Lead Shot (http://www.cagroup.com.au/Lead_Shot.asp)

Edit: They also have lead discs, if they're more suitable, here:
Consolidated Alloys :: Lead Washers and Discs (http://www.cagroup.com.au/Lead_Washers_and_Discs.asp)Ah yes found them. I couldn't find where they actually were. Sent them an email, but if they sell things by the kilo they might not even answer my email. :rolleyes:

tea lady
17th January 2014, 12:28 AM
Did more on them today regardless of the heat.

one hot dog.

greyhound
17th January 2014, 10:05 AM
Did more on them today regardless of the heat.

one hot dog.
You have been very busy well done.
do you have A.C in the studio.
Have a old window rattler in my workshop( or should I call it a studio? ) it gives up and cuts out when it gets to 35 not much good but my dog is a cool dog finds the concrete floor a bit better .Where do you get your Myrtle from ? I use a it of it making my travel drink mugs
Graham

Hermit
17th January 2014, 10:52 AM
Looking really good so far. :2tsup:
I don't have enough experience for anything advanced yet, but I sure like watching others do it. :cool:

Ah yes found them. I couldn't find where they actually were. Sent them an email, but if they sell things by the kilo they might not even answer my email. :rolleyes:

Yeah, 10kg of lead shot might be overkill. The 3kg bundles of lead wool are probably the better option. You'll have some left over for future projects.
I might buy some myself - I wanted to make some tall, slim candle holders with relatively narrow bases. Some lead would help keep them upright. (Sort of important with candle holders.)

Fingers crossed they'll get back to you favourably. Let us know how you go.

Simplicity
17th January 2014, 11:00 AM
Or fishing shops lead waits
Bunnings sell lead sheet still but it's not. $5 idem any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Simplicity
17th January 2014, 11:06 AM
Also lead sheet is very easily cut with tin snips or even large scissors.
It's only from memory 2/3 mm thick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ndp_2010
17th January 2014, 11:25 AM
these look great. i did a chess set; the pawns can get seriously mind numbing! :D
when I did mine I ended up drilling a hole in the bottom and sticking a largeish fishing sinker in the bottom. Worked ok but was a bit messy

A Duke
17th January 2014, 11:43 AM
Yes the pooch just looks as if it's missing the bread roll.
My two and the wife's chooks are not too impressed with the weather either.
Keep cool

smiife
17th January 2014, 07:14 PM
Hi TL.
They look really good, I wish i had the patience to
do a set, a guy asked me to make a set last year
and I have made 1 pawn:C:C
not a good start
Love your little helper:;
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

TTIT
18th January 2014, 10:28 PM
...............and I have made 1 pawn:C:C..............Cheers smiife:2tsup:Maybe if we put the one you made with the one I made about ten years ago and we find enough other people who 'almost' made a set :think: :think: .........

tea lady
18th January 2014, 11:06 PM
I reckon it could be a group challenge.:cool: All turn to the same plan in the stipulated wood. One piece each. How many turners we got on here at the moment?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th January 2014, 02:38 PM
I reckon it could be a group challenge.:cool: All turn to the same plan in the stipulated wood. One piece each. How many turners we got on here at the moment?

Not necessarily the best idea... I participated a few years ago in a "group turning" of a chess set for auction. I was flabbergasted at how loosely even the most skilled of people can interpret a simple, straightforward set of plans! :rolleyes:

issatree
19th January 2014, 02:43 PM
Hi Anna-Maria,
I have plenty of Sheet Lead & Wad Punches as well.
Lead you can have, Wad punch has a Boomerang attached.

tea lady
20th January 2014, 01:08 PM
Hi Anna-Maria,
I have plenty of Sheet Lead & Wad Punches as well.
Lead you can have, Wad punch has a Boomerang attached.Got some now. Thanks anyway. This set won't be weighted. Will see how it goes.

steamingbill
21st January 2014, 09:50 PM
Hey Tea Lady,

Have you seen this one ?

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop_archive/images/lathe/jfe_demo/chess_pieces_table.jpg

its here

Turning Demonstration by Jean Francious Escoulen (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop_archive/jean_francious_escoulen_demo.htm)

I dont know enough about it to know whether its multi centre or multi axis or both.

Have seen some awesome squiggly things on the internet by that chap.

Have been wondering about chess knights - I reckon there are some accidental shapes that could be used in my offcentre experiments but have to remember how I did them.

Bill

tea lady
8th February 2014, 05:35 PM
More work on the chess set has been going on. Queens nearly done. And knight experiments. (Which has managed to get inserted sideways. :C )

tea lady
8th February 2014, 05:38 PM
Hey Tea Lady,

Have you seen this one ?

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop_archive/images/lathe/jfe_demo/chess_pieces_table.jpg

its here

Turning Demonstration by Jean Francious Escoulen (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop_archive/jean_francious_escoulen_demo.htm)

I dont know enough about it to know whether its multi centre or multi axis or both.

Have seen some awesome squiggly things on the internet by that chap.

Have been wondering about chess knights - I reckon there are some accidental shapes that could be used in my offcentre experiments but have to remember how I did them.

BillHis stuff does look interesting of course. He's the Escalon guy after all. :U In a way I have tried not to look to much at other work while I am doing this. After it is done I will evaluate and plan the next one. :cool:

tea lady
8th March 2014, 09:06 PM
Have done a bit more. Nearly finished. Just the tops pof the king and Queen. and of course those pesky Knights. An dthe slot in the Bishop and "castlating" the castles.

Paul39
9th March 2014, 02:58 AM
Tea Lady,

Your set is wonderful!! A thought for the knights, turn a horse head profile and sand off three sides.

If you don't have a power sander, turn a spigot on a piece of timber that can be grabbed by your chuck, turn round, flatten the front, and glue on sandpaper.

Make several for different grades of sandpaper.

Mobyturns
9th March 2014, 08:29 AM
Have done a bit more. Nearly finished. Just the tops pof the king and Queen. and of course those pesky Knights. An dthe slot in the Bishop and "castlating" the castles.

Very nice work & excellent progress TL. :cool: Had me rereading the "castlating" the castles. :- Phew! I did a double take and crossed my legs there for a while. :wink:

tea lady
9th March 2014, 10:24 AM
Tea Lady,

Your set is wonderful!! A thought for the knights, turn a horse head profile and sand off three sides.

If you don't have a power sander, turn a spigot on a piece of timber that can be grabbed by your chuck, turn round, flatten the front, and glue on sandpaper.

Make several for different grades of sandpaper.I have a cunning plan. :wink:

tea lady
9th March 2014, 10:25 AM
Very nice work & excellent progress TL. :cool: Had me rereading the "castlating" the castles. :- Phew! I did a double take and crossed my legs there for a while. :wink::p

Paul39
9th March 2014, 11:03 AM
I have a cunning plan. :wink:

Good, I can't wait to see the result.

A Duke
9th March 2014, 11:37 AM
:DHi TL,
Can't believe Nobody has told you yet, its a rook not a castle.
Impressive ideas and execution any way. :2tsup:
Regards

tea lady
9th March 2014, 01:48 PM
:DHi TL,
Can't believe Nobody has told you yet, its a rook not a castle.

RegardsI know. I was just giving the pedants something to talk about. :p:D

A Duke
9th March 2014, 02:47 PM
I know. I was just giving the pedants something to talk about. :p:D
Hi TL,
I got tired of waiting for them to bite, maybe people who make chess pieces are not as touchy about it as those who play with them.
Regards

Nanigai
9th March 2014, 03:15 PM
Love this TL, you have done well so far.
Looking forward to the cunning plan for the knights.:U
Cheers, Ian

Christos
14th March 2014, 05:14 PM
I have a cunning plan. :wink:

Get to make them? :photo:

tea lady
16th March 2014, 06:30 PM
Get to make them? :photo::doh:

fozz
16th March 2014, 06:49 PM
"Get to make them?"

You'd need a much much bigger board :roflmao2:

valdal
18th March 2014, 01:56 PM
Amazing work on the chess set so far, will be watching the rest with interest.

Val.