PDA

View Full Version : Drop Spindles x 2.

issatree
11th January 2014, 09:04 PM
Hi All,
Please forgive my efforts, as I have to get this into the Grey Matter Up The Top.

I have made Drop Spindles for quite a few Years, not so much now, as I don't go the that wool show anymore.
When I did I couldn't make them quick enough.
These 2 were made in 2010, of Huon Pine & Leather Wood, as I found L/W was a very stable wood to do the Spindle part.
Drop Spindles are used for Spinning Wool, ready for Knitting. It is a very old way of Spinning Wool.
I had a few different designs that I found a drawing of, & just changed it around a bit.
In the Background, you will see my Magnetic Strip, as it holds different pieces, in this case a pr. of Wires for Burning Lines in my work.
Also a few Home Made Tools as well in the holder.
You may notice the End of the Spindle, as some Ladies thought it may work better upside down. So with that End they wood have been able to put a Hitch in the end.

SNAFU11
12th January 2014, 07:36 AM
That's some nice spindle work there mate,,,well done :2tsup:

cheers Mick!!!

Mulgabill
12th January 2014, 01:17 PM
Good work Issatree! You're now getting the hang of adding images to your messages as well:2tsup:

chuck1
12th January 2014, 08:29 PM
your the man I needed a while ago, I was asked to make a sample drop spindle and it had to weight between 38 and 42 grams.
I used European beech for sample they liked it and ordered 25 of them! your have much more detail in them than mine did! yours are very nice!

wheelinround
12th January 2014, 08:38 PM
your the man I needed a while ago, I was asked to make a sample drop spindle and it had to weight between 38 and 42 grams.
I used European beech for sample they liked it and ordered 25 of them! your have much more detail in them than mine did! yours are very nice!

Sounds familiar hope it wasn't the same woman that had me doing them I know she ventures down your way and asks for them made at low low low prices.:;

wheelinround
12th January 2014, 08:42 PM
Hi All,
Please forgive my efforts, as I have to get this into the Grey Matter Up The Top.

I have made Drop Spindles for quite a few Years, not so much now, as I don't go the that wool show anymore.
When I did I couldn't make them quick enough.
These 2 were made in 2010, of Huon Pine & Leather Wood, as I found L/W was a very stable wood to do the Spindle part.
Drop Spindles are used for Spinning Wool, ready for Knitting. It is a very old way of Spinning Wool.
I had a few different designs that I found a drawing of, & just changed it around a bit.
In the Background, you will see my Magnetic Strip, as it holds different pieces, in this case a pr. of Wires for Burning Lines in my work.
Also a few Home Made Tools as well in the holder.
You may notice the End of the Spindle, as some Ladies thought it may work better upside down. So with that End they wood have been able to put a Hitch in the end.

Well done Isa you've done well, now at last posting photos after all these years.

I still make some now and then for LOML wo when demonstrating there use often sells them a variety of size shapes and woods.

chuck1
12th January 2014, 10:11 PM
Sounds familiar hope it wasn't the same woman that had me doing them I know she ventures down your way and asks for them made at low low low prices.:;

I quoted $15 each and he said no long pause I'm giving you $20 each, and he did! I thought he was going to low ball me with the long pause! ( one for the record)

issatree
13th January 2014, 01:09 AM
Hi All,
When I started, I was getting next to nothing, & wondered were they using themselves. The Penny dropped, they were reselling them.
Those in the Pic, I was asking 35, & at one stage I took 26 of them with me & sold them all in 1 day.
I think they were made in 2010, but these days I make them quite a bit Thinner on the Spindle Part, & it is very easy with Leather Wood & a good Skew @ 3000 RPM. Turn with one hand, & hold with the other.
Nothing like it's when done.

Think I'm mad???. Not likely. Well you try it. I have always said that we Turn to slow, but taking in to consideration, COMMON SENSE.

Chuck1, I never ever worked on weight, as I left that up to The Spinners, & seeing I had a few on the table there was always a choice, & a few asked for Weighted Ones. I did make heavy ones & light ones, big & small ones mainly for Cotton or very light Skeined Wool.
Thank you all for your comments, & there are a few more Photos to come, only they were make a few years ago now, but still very current.

artme
13th January 2014, 09:06 AM
That is fine turning there goood sire! Welldone!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Mobyturns
13th January 2014, 09:08 AM
I quoted $15 each and he said no long pause I'm giving you $20 each, and he did! I thought he was going to low ball me with the long pause! ( one for the record)

Sounds very familiar - the low, low prices.

Very nice work on the drop spindle as I love good spindle turning.

Q. what weight spindles are you normally asked to make?

issatree
13th January 2014, 11:21 AM
Hi Mobyturns,
I've never Turned Spindles too Weight.
What I did was to make a few in different sizes, different Woods & let The Ladies work it out.
As you are aware different Woods Weigh either heavy or light eg. Cotoneaster, Red Gum, Jarrah, Vic Ash, Apple, Apricot, Cypress Weigh reasonably heavy.
Whereas Aust. Red Cedar, Poplar, Cotonwood Poplar, Comprosma, Lightwood are on the light side.
Then Depends on how big you make them, & how thick also. Two Stems or one.
I found That some Ladies liked 2 Stems & some liked just a long Spindle at the Bottom.
Had one Lady come back & told me I made them to Slippery. Asked my Guru Spinning Lady, & she said she just didn't know how to use them, just keep making them the same way.
Got to thinking she was right, as all that I had made, I sold.
Had some Competition 1 yr. as they had rather nice Glass ones, with a piece of dowel through the Centre, but twice the price of mine. She had quite a few lookers, but they all eventually bought mine. Come Sun. the price had been reduced quite a bit. Still never sold any.
To my way of thinking, you have to have Confidence in what you make, & also Proud of what you do, & Sign your work.I know that my work is all over the World, & 1 of those reasons is because it is signed. Most buyers love Signed & Dated work.