I have made a few before with not to much success
so after i had said yes i almost immediatly wished
I had not opened my big mouth:no:
after many attempts i came up with this
still not sure if it is close enough, so any comments
and advice welcomed
Cheers smiife:2tsup:
could anyone tell me what i am doing wrong
the photos seem to come out wrong way round,!,,,,!!

dai sensei
13th January 2014, 09:37 PM
I'm sure they will love them, any differences will just make them more unique :cool:. Hope you used a good ceramic mechanism, salt kills the cheapies :-

Photos - I assume you are using an Iphone without change, they often come out sideways or upside down. Open them in a picture software package and save them again, that fixes it.

wheelinround
13th January 2014, 10:09 PM
I can tell you easy Michael you said yeh sure no problem ..........I do it all to often :doh: and you have reminded me I said I would do a set for a neighbour 12 months ago one of many tasks they have asked me to do.

Looks good from here and easy to see which is which obviously white pepper is lighter colour black pepper is darker one now you need to make an even whiter one for salt :p

Hermit
13th January 2014, 11:26 PM
It looks pretty good to me, they're virtually identical. :2tsup:
Nice work. I won't be trying anything like this for a while. If I made a pair now, they wouldn't even look similar.

Charl
14th January 2014, 05:13 AM
I'm pretty fussy when it comes to symmetry and all I can say is that if those were mine I would be perfectly happy with them as they are almost identical. Keep in mind we are making things by eye most of the time and our eyes interpret things differently sometimes. Given that one is dark and one is light, they are going to look slightly different regardless.

One of the joys of hand-made is that it is always going to have some of the artist invested into the work, if the goal was to make it identical in every way, a copy lathe or better yet, a computer guided lathe or cnc machine should have been used. But then it loses the sense of soul you get in hand made items which would be a shame as it is getting rarer and rarer now a days to find people who still do things by hand in our throw away society.

I think you have done a brilliant job!

chuck1
14th January 2014, 05:43 AM
good work smiife you should be wrapped with the finished grinder!

smiife
14th January 2014, 08:00 PM
good work smiife you should be wrapped with the finished grinder!

Thanks chuckie:2tsup:

I can tell you easy Michael you said yeh sure no problem ..........I do it all to often :doh: and you have reminded me I said I would do a set for a neighbour 12 months ago one of many tasks they have asked me to do.

Looks good from here and easy to see which is which obviously white pepper is lighter colour black pepper is darker one now you need to make an even whiter one for salt :p

Thanks wheelie,
The light one Is the salt one,,,,, don, t tell me i have to make another one:doh:

I'm sure they will love them, any differences will just make them more unique :cool:. Hope you used a good ceramic mechanism, salt kills the cheapies :-

Photos - I assume you are using an Iphone without change, they often come out sideways or upside down. Open them in a picture software package and save them again, that fixes it.
Hi neal,
yes I got them from jim, thanks for your comments
The photos I did put them In the dropbox thingie!,!,
Is that O.K

smiife
14th January 2014, 08:14 PM
TE=Hermit;1736355]It looks pretty good to me, they're virtually identical. :2tsup:
Nice work. I won't be trying anything like this for a while. If I made a pair now, they wouldn't even look similar.

300596[/QUOTE]P

Hi hermit,
As I said I have made a few attempts
Sometimes you just have to try, you
might surprise yourself, and after all
it, s only a small piece of wood you can
still use mechanism again
How did you get the photo to stand up:o
cheers smiife:2tsup:

smiife
14th January 2014, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=Charl;1736'm pretty fussy when it comes to symmetry and all I can say is that if those were mine I would be perfectly happy with them as they are almost identical. Keep in mind we are making things by eye most of the time and our eyes interpret things differently sometimes. Given that one is dark and one is light, they are going to look slightly different regardless.

One of the joys of hand-made is that it is always going to have some of the artist invested into the work, if the goal was to make it identical in every way, a copy lathe or better yet, a computer guided lathe or cnc machine should have been used. But then it loses the sense of soul you get in hand made items which would be a shame as it is getting rarer and rarer now a days to find people who still do things by hand in our throw away society.

I think you have done a brilliant job![/QUOTE]
Hi charl,
Thank you for comments very much appreciated
I am feeling more confident now, a quick clean
up on the weekend and I will take them over
and hope for the best

Hermit
14th January 2014, 10:10 PM
How did you get the photo to stand up:o

I cheated. I copied it to my Desktop, opened it in 'Paint' and rotated it right-way-'round, saved it then uploaded it again as an attachment to my reply.

smiife
15th January 2014, 07:33 PM
I cheated. I copied it to my Desktop, opened it in 'Paint' and rotated it right-way-'round, saved it then uploaded it again as an attachment to my reply.

Hi steve,
I wouldn, t even know where to start, thanks for that

Christos
17th January 2014, 01:09 PM
I would also like to say well done on the salt grinder.

smiife
17th January 2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks christos,
I appreciate your comments