PDA

View Full Version : Dust extractor also doubles as ducted vacum

Craig130
7th June 2005, 11:01 AM
Just been thinking of setting up a dust extraction filter unit in my garage & trying to convince the wife of the benefits. I thought of using the unit as a ducted vacum for the rest of our house. Has anyone tried or heard of some one doing this previously.

regards
Craig

bitingmidge
7th June 2005, 11:21 AM
Craig,

I think you'll find there are two different requirements for the two systems, one needs high velocity and low volume the other is the opposite. (I think.)

If she needs justification... how about the years she won't have to spend nursing you with lung disease?

Cheers,

P

David L
7th June 2005, 11:29 AM
Midge is right. The the DC uses high volume low preasure, the longer and smaller the suction hose the less efficient it is. Drastically.

David

Craig130
7th June 2005, 01:08 PM
The house is a bearer & joist design with easy access under-neath with T & G timber flooring and I wanted to put in just a couple of floor vacum points so when we swept we could push the dust into the floor vacum ducts when needed. The distance of ducting from the extractor unit would be about 4 - 5 metres max & virtually a level run. Just thought I could kill two birds with one stone,
Thanks for your comments

regards
craig

bsrlee
7th June 2005, 08:43 PM
Take a look at the Godfrey's vacuum cleaner site - they sell 'ducted' vacuum systems - it should give you some ideas.

For a house sucker you'd probably have to plumb at least part of it in 2"50mm pipe, at least where it goes up thru' the floor. I think the problem is that house vacs don't work as shop dust systems, but shop dust systems can be made to work as house vacs. it just takes a bit of thought & work.

Hmmm - you'll probably need a pressure relief system too, for when SWMBO sucks up a plastic bag or similar, otherwise you might collapse you pipes.

rodm
8th June 2005, 01:29 AM
The house is a bearer & joist design with easy access under-neath with T & G timber flooring and I wanted to put in just a couple of floor vacum points so when we swept we could push the dust into the floor vacum ducts when needed. The distance of ducting from the extractor unit would be about 4 - 5 metres max & virtually a level run. Just thought I could kill two birds with one stone,
Thanks for your comments

regards
craig

Using it like you describe it will work fine but just be careful where you place the floor points as you wouldn't want anyone tripping over the outlet.