PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Canberra

MrEd
14th January 2014, 03:45 PM
Hi all

Im a complete novice with woodwork, havent done any since highschool back in the 90s. Im currently having a go at building an electric guitar at the moment, first attempt is just using a kit so Im only really doing the finishing and assembly myself, hopefully in the future I'll setup a little workshop and make one from scratch though.

I muck around with cars and bike and various little things, work in construction (in the office though) and generally like to have a go at technical things myself.

I joined up here because Ive been tearing my hair out trying to find some decent info on how to do a particular finish on my guitar, googling/etc has eventually led me here.

I'll make a thread with some pics of my guitar project later tonight, in the meantime I'll check out a few projects by other people. :)

crowie
14th January 2014, 04:19 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Ed".
There are quite a few members in and around Canberra.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork...
Cheers crowie

old1955
14th January 2014, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the forum.

JJF
15th January 2014, 05:36 AM
welcome aboard

tdrumnut
15th January 2014, 10:05 PM
Gidday & welcome aboard Ed, may your journey with us be a pleasant one.

Christos
16th January 2014, 08:30 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Evanism
16th January 2014, 08:57 AM
There are heaps of woodworkers from Canberra here.

Most are quiet, but there are a vocal minority :)

Btw, everyone will ask for pictures. They are obsessed.

MrEd
16th January 2014, 09:06 AM
I put some pics up in this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f98/gibson-lp-kit-build-180902/

PS. If anyone can offer any advice on types of clear coat and paint to use over the dye finish, Id be very greatful!

PPS. Im not sure if I posted that thread in the right section. The header says something about it being for mobile phones only, but then theres not another similar section. The bit about being for mobile phones only didnt make sense to me so I ignored it. :p

Ilya
16th January 2014, 03:25 PM
Hey Ed, welcome to the forum! My brother in law is nudging me to make an electric guitar for him, but I am resisting it, don't feel qualified for that! I looked at your finishing effort - the grain of the timber looks too good to hide it under the black finish!

MrEd
16th January 2014, 05:33 PM
You mean the one I put on and then sanded off? I agree. It looked horrible. Even if the grain was visible through it, the colour still looked shockingly bad.

Heres how I want the majority of the face to look, if anything I think the grain stands out even more.

Perfect Pens
17th January 2014, 10:55 PM
Welcome to the forums Ed :2tsup:

Cheers
Tony