PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Lathe Chuck.

mrjhodges
14th January 2014, 09:04 PM
New Super Nova 2 or a Pre-owned Vicmark VM140?
Same price.

Jim Carroll
15th January 2014, 08:59 AM
What lathe do you have.

The VM140 is a big and heavy chuck and not suited to smaller lathes.

A new VM100 would be a better option than the supernova 2

Mobyturns
15th January 2014, 09:34 AM
Jim is right, before you purchase you really have to weigh up what you want to turn and what you will actually turn - often two entirely different things! Then look at your lathes capacity, the range of jaws available, the style of the jaws and the range of movement in the jaw slides on the chuck. Personally I do not like the Nova Jaw design but that is more a personal preference.

Being a Queenslander I would say choose Vicmarc but one that suits your needs not what is available cheap. Vicmarc are as Aussie as you can get these days, well made very robust chucks, very easily maintained, and a pleasure to use.

powderpost
15th January 2014, 11:29 AM
New Super Nova 2 or a Pre-owned Vicmark VM140?
Same price.

Do you really need a chuck? What type of work are you doing? There are a lot of cheaper ways to achieve an end.

Jim

mrjhodges
15th January 2014, 11:43 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/15/ata8a4az.jpg
This is my lathe. Not fancy. But it runs true and seems to have plenty of grunt.

I am generally turning small practice project stuff at first as I have not turned since high school (25+ years).
I have started making tobacco pipes so am of the impression that a chuck will be the most efficient & safest way to turn such small items. The stems are about the size of a pen blank.

Is there a better way? I just saw a chuck being an easy fast & safe way to achieve what I need.

JP
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

RETIRED
15th January 2014, 01:02 PM
Have a look on You tube. turning a pipe you tube and you will get a lot of ideas.

mrjhodges
15th January 2014, 02:37 PM
All artisan pipemakers (inc those on Youtube) are using chucks for turning the stummel and stem and disc and belt sanders for shaping and finishing.

I think as recommended the VM140 is too big.

smiife
15th January 2014, 07:18 PM
hi mrj,
I think you should buy both!!!
you can never have enough chucks:U right guys
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

rsser
20th January 2014, 04:03 PM
It's good to puff on a pipe. Very soothing.

Given health warnings, a pipe with a chalk filter in the bowl base and charcoal filter in the stem may provide some protection.

So I buy my pipes and leave turning challenges to other items.