PDA

View Full Version : Australian Tembers for Novice

barrysumpter
28th July 1999, 07:14 AM
Hi everyone,
I've finished 5 projects - using MDF on the first three and then pine on the next two. My next project is a fantastic looking classic bookcase from http://augusthome.com/Plans/classbkc.htm.
I've asked around about the tight grained cherry and cherry plywood. My people tell me its more expensive than gold. Too bad because it looks great.

I've decided to stay with a beginners wood just beyond or above the quality and price of pine. Does anyone have any suggestions on which wood would fit best in this category.

Many thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter

P.S. I now have a true respect for woodworkers, cabinet makers, and joiners.

barrysumpter
28th July 1999, 07:20 AM
Hi again,
Could someone also post a list of Australian Woods. Preferably easily accessable from Melbourne. Sorted by Price. With a description of the wood and its use. I'm looking for furniture wood.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 28 July 1999).]

Richard
29th July 1999, 11:33 PM
Barry, check out a mag called "Australian Wood Review" Lots of what your looking for!!

ubeaut
30th July 1999, 12:50 AM
G'day Barry

Try going to Australian furniture timbers in Plumber Road Port Melb. or Mathews Timbers in Rooks Rd Nunawading. Both have an extensive range of furniture timbers along with samples that you can see finished.

Both are basically wholesalers to the trade and are usually quite willing to help. Mathews a little more-so than A.F.T.

You could also try Adams Timber in Canterbury Rd Kilsyth. A similar range of timbers but as a rule a good bit dearer on some timbers and I have found in the past not nearly as helpful. This may have changed now.

Cheers
Neil Ellis

barrysumpter
5th August 1999, 05:48 PM
Neil,

Many thanks fo the info. I've just been to Australian Furniture Tember. Far, Far out of my price range at the moment. Especially for a beginner.

Just rang Mathews - who was quite pleasant on the phone. I'll have a look around on the weekend.

Thanks again,

Barry G. Sumpter

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter