PDA

View Full Version : Looking to meet like minded making stuff out of wood enthusiasts!

Fifi
15th January 2014, 04:40 PM
Hey everyone, my name is fi, Last year I did a furniture making course and since then I have been doing work experience a few days a week with a local designer. I feel it's now time to move on and pursue projects of my own imagination.
I am hoping to meet people who have a passion for wood turning ( furniture legs and smallish stuff like bowls etc) wood carving (spoons, bowls, seats etc) simplistic furniture inspired by modern Danish designers. Also a spot of re upholstery. I am about to do a welding course to add another string to my bow.
I hope to rent a small garage or workshop where I can get busy but I would love to have some like minded people around me to bounce ideas off, hoping to turn my passion into more than just a hobby. Feel free to contact me if you or someone you know would like to catch up and talk timber :)

old1955
15th January 2014, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the forum Fi.

tdrumnut
15th January 2014, 09:34 PM
Gidday & welcome aboard Fi, may your journey with us be a pleasant one.

crowie
15th January 2014, 09:52 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Fi".
There are a heap of members in Melbourne and across Victoria.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork..
Cheers crowie

JJF
16th January 2014, 01:16 AM
welcome aboard

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th January 2014, 11:05 AM
Welcome to our madhouse! :)

One good way to meet local(ish) members of this forum is to keep an eye on the Woodies Stuff/Woodies Events (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f25/) section.

Meeting like-minded people in person at one of these events/shows/BBQs/get-togethers/forum meets (call them what you will) has always made for a good time and an informative day. :2tsup:

Perfect Pens
17th January 2014, 11:01 PM
Welcome Fi Enjoy !!
Cheers
Tony.

kani
20th January 2014, 11:23 PM
welcome aboard

JayCee71
7th February 2014, 01:37 PM
Hello I'm new to woodworking also. If you're a guy, maybe you could try your local Men's Shed. From my limited experience thus far, all age groups are welcome, and there's plenty of experienced old hands who are willing to help explain some things.

Christos
14th February 2014, 03:07 PM
Welcome to the forum.

tea lady
14th February 2014, 08:20 PM
Hi Fifi, Welcome. I'm out in Belgrave. Not sure where you are. But I like throwing ideas around. Also do woodturning. Come up and see me some time.

Hello I'm new to woodworking also. If you're a guy, maybe you could try your local Men's Shed. From my limited experience thus far, all age groups are welcome, and there's plenty of experienced old hands who are willing to help explain some things.I am a memeber of Knox Woodworkers, which also has women members. It is affiliated with "men's sheds" I think, but is not exclusively "men's". nd some of the "old" guys are just as inexperienced as you. :P