PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning cruise

Lyle
16th January 2014, 12:25 PM
This may not be the appropriate location for this post. If so a moderator may move or remove it.

My disclaimer - other than booking this cruise for myself, I have no financial/business/personal interest in the company.

This cruise has been run before and I am wondering if any forum member has been on it and have comments good/bad/indifferent on it.
Woodturning Cruise (http://www.woodturningcruise.com/en/)

The list of demonstrators seems to me to be pretty impressive.
The cruise fits our plans of a overseas holiday (and mine to learn more woodturning stuff).

Cheers
Lyle.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th January 2014, 01:02 PM
I have not been on it, nor do I know anyone who has. (I think. If they have, they've been unusually reticent about bragging rights. :think:)

However, I first discovered this cruise a few years ago when I saw a short doco on the ship on either ABC or SBS. The doco wasn't so much about the woodturning as such, as about the ship itself & the places and people it visited... I remember being disappointed that very little was actually shown of the woodturning facilities, the turners themselves or any finished products.

I also recall that at the final debarkation, the end of the trip, each and every person who walked off that boat had s$@t-eating grins. Lucky sods.

This trip is high on my wish-list for when my boat finally comes in. :2tsup: (Sadly, I suspect that now that the Titanic is deemed a historic grave site and considered sacrosanct, I might be ill-advised to keep waiting on it. :sigh:)

pommyphil
16th January 2014, 05:48 PM
I went on the last one.:cool: Just niticed your location Lyle, I'm up the road in Stroud. PM me if you want anything. Phil

Tim Creeper
20th January 2014, 09:11 AM
I went on the last one.:cool: Just niticed your location Lyle, I'm up the road in Stroud. PM me if you want anything. Phil

Hi Phil, how about filling the rest of us in too, Would love to know more.
Tim

Ray153
20th January 2014, 01:27 PM
I have done this trip but not the wood turning cruise. I would go again in a heartbeat. It may appear heresy to some here, but the trip would be a waste in some ways to spend the whole time wood turning. If it was a few hours per day, then that would be fine, there is too much to see and to lose that opportunity to do hours and hours of turning would be a waste in my view.

MrFez
20th January 2014, 06:55 PM
<script id="ncoEventScript" type="text/javascript">function DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) { object.DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url);} }; function Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url); }; function NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url); } function Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url); }; </script>Not sure how you would go on rough seas though....:oo:

Ray153
20th January 2014, 09:23 PM
90% of the cruise is within the chains of islands and fjords so isn't in open water much. The exception from memory is across to the Lofoten islands, that's open water. I did the north and south round trip in February/March and it was very calm.

Lyle
21st January 2014, 07:55 AM
Well we are going! :2tsup:
The trip planning is going full steam ahead.
We had a chat to Phil who was very friendly and had some good info and advice.
Haven't had a break for many years and we are so looking forward to it.

Planning a self drive spin around the UK before doing the cruise, so the cruise will let me relax after the 'driving' experience.
So many places to see, so little time.

pommyphil
21st January 2014, 07:59 AM
As Ray said the scenery is spectacular, but you can't stare at grey rock all day every day. I probably did 2 hrs a day watching better turners and learning, and maybe the same actually turning. Often as I worked there would be spare VL300s standing vacant.I was very pleased with the turning side of it, but tools were hard to find,the demonstrators brought their own and wood was expensive.The seas in August were flat, a lot of the steaming was in and out of Fiords with no roll at all.
The Gann is an old car ferry and no cruise ship, the cabins are small and basic but the food is good. Shes a "dry" ship so booze must be smuggled aboard and drunk in closets.Beer ashore is over AU$30 per litre if you can find a pub ! I was glad of a few days in Bangkok on the way home.
I'm happy to answer any questions. Cheers Phil

rsser
22nd January 2014, 06:20 PM
Have read about this on US w/t forums. Sounds brilliant. Good call Lyle.

Colin62
22nd January 2014, 08:13 PM
The Gann is an old car ferry and no cruise ship, the cabins are small and basic

I'm focusing on this, and trying to convince myself that this is the reason I'm not going, and that it has nothing at all to do with the fact that I can't afford it :)

chuck1
29th January 2014, 05:46 AM
did anyone else notice the competition nova had to win a trip on the cruise? got to be in it to win it!!!!

Lyle
29th January 2014, 07:22 AM
Sure did.
I'm looking closely at these lathes. Might be my new replacement.

pommyphil
29th January 2014, 11:51 AM
Don't rush into anything Lyle, on the Gann you'll have Novas and Vicmarcs side by side, and plenty of time to compare

Strange, but the demonstrators only used the Vics :D Phil

Jim Carroll
29th January 2014, 12:12 PM
Don't rush into anything Lyle, on the Gann you'll have Novas and Vicmarcs side by side, and plenty of time to compare

Strange, but the demonstrators only used the Vics :D Phil

Nothing strange about that , they are the best in the world.

Richard Raffan told us one time at one of the symposiums that he went to that every demonstrator that was there wanted to use the Vicmarc lathes and chucks even though there was other well known available, even the locals wanted the aussie lathes and not their own brands.

The cruise is on our bucket list of things to do, have a great time.

pommyphil
29th January 2014, 12:37 PM
In the bowels of the Gann302311302310302312

DaveTTC
29th January 2014, 12:46 PM
did anyone else notice the competition nova had to win a trip on the cruise? got to be in it to win it!!!!

No tell me more ... is it too late

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

dougturner
6th February 2014, 10:56 PM
Lyle, I will see you on the cruise! I have contacted two different people who were on the 2011 trip, and they were very pleased with the whole do. My wife and I are going, and then on to Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia and Switzerland on the way home. I have just checked the cruise web site, and there are only four cabins now available. I have been in contact with the cruise organisers frequently over the last 12 months, and honestly, nothing seems to be a bother to them. They have responded to every email, and answered every question comprehensively. Try this web site for more info Woodturning Cruise (http://www.woodturningcruise.com/en/) We are looking forward to it very much! With the Norwegian scenery, access to woodturning and some of the "Masters" to watch and learn from, as well as the excursions each day, what more could a woodturner want? See you on board. :U

Wood Nut
7th February 2014, 09:48 PM
Gee Lyle, that cruise is a bit more expensive than your normal weekend away. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, BUT I'm really jealous. Pommyphil sent me some info about the cruise and I drooled for a week. Expecting some first class work from you later in the year.

Cheers,
Paul

Lyle
11th August 2014, 04:46 AM
Well here we are in our hotel in Stavanger. We board tomorrow, Monday.
Have had a great time the last 12 days driving around the UK and Wales and Scotland.
Clocked up 1600 Miles in about 9 days. Saw a LOT of beautiful scenery and majestic buildings and met a lot of great people. The weather has been bloody terrific, who would have thought you could get sunburnt in the UK.
Evan went to a car boot sale and came away with some great stuff. Even a free old spokeshave..
I am sure to meet some great turners on the cruise and will attempt to post some photos if the internet conection allows.

Christos
11th August 2014, 06:58 PM
All this before the cruise.

Lyle
15th August 2014, 01:49 AM
Well all is shipshape and going well.
It is a bit confusing trying to sort out the program but everyone is having a great time.
I have met a great group of people here. Everyone is so good to talk to and willing to share or show or let you have a go at anytime on any tool or machine.
The side trips to the fiords etc are just awe inspiring.
The internet is patchy at best. But here is a photo of my wip Norwegian style knife.
We will make a scabbard/holster for it next. Probably stain the birch handle when we finish it.
This is just one of the many things to do on board after chatting with the presenters.
My only gripe is that some bludger swiped my knife and tools from the classroom when I was away on a side tour. The room wasn't locked and I probably should have known better.
Start saving your pennies for the next tour, you know you want to.
Lyle.

Lyle
15th August 2014, 02:29 AM
Just strolled around and took some random photos. They pack a lot into the boat. This was just one deck. The machinery is lower down.
Spot the Aussies. At least two in there. One well known turner and also a forumite in here.
Lyle

Pat
15th August 2014, 05:06 AM
Lyle, keep the pics coming.

Lucky we don't have a "Lucky Barsteward" option . . . . grumble, grumble, grumble :U

Jim Carroll
15th August 2014, 10:24 AM
Lyle in your first photo I recognise Mick Smith from St Leonards Vic.
He told us a while ago he was going on the cruise, will expect a full wrap up when he gets back

powderpost
15th August 2014, 07:55 PM
Mumble, mumble,:(:C grumble. :wink:

Mobyturns
16th August 2014, 12:14 AM
:C the cruise just has to be over rated. Just look at those turners all being forced to have a good time. :saddest:

A couple of turners & a pyromaniac I recognize & very much looking forward to meeting them in NZ shortly.

Lyle
16th August 2014, 02:16 AM
Just a couple of photos from the ship as we passed through the Arctic circle.
Weather continues to be very good.
Lyle.

Wood Nut
16th August 2014, 02:38 PM
Hi Lyle,
Tried to contact you before you left for the cruise but your workmates dobbed you in about the earlier part of the trip.

As to the cruise, I only have 3 things to say:

Jealous!!!!
Jealous!!!!
Jealous!!!!

Hope you're both having a wonderful time.

Should be back in plenty of time for the NZ Symposium. Another chance to catch up with Richard (Raffan) and Joey (Richardson):)

Cheers,
Paul

Lyle
17th August 2014, 02:52 AM
A couple of more pics.Having a tough time trying to fit it all in and deciding what to buy/bring homeMight have to chuck out my clothes to save weight.....Lyle.

Christos
18th August 2014, 09:30 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for the photos.

Makes me want to go on the cruise.

Lyle
19th August 2014, 02:46 AM
More photos.
We are on the return leg down Norway now.
Photos are from the gallery of stuff from the demonstrators and passengers for sale or auction.
Sorry re quality but done on phone camera.
Lyle.

Dalboy
19th August 2014, 09:33 AM
Looks like you are just having to much fun, it is not allowed.

Thank you for the photo's and enjoy the rest of the trip. What part of the UK did you visit anywhere in the south east

Christos
21st August 2014, 01:32 AM
Some very interesting pieces.

Would have question how the black and white bowl was made.

Lyle
21st August 2014, 03:08 AM
Bloody gastro bug has invaded the ship. A lot of people crook, including me and the missus.
We hope the drugs work quickly and we get back on our feet quickly. The ship staff have been great.
A couple more pics. The bowl is one we bought from the galery of objects from the turners/artists on board. A bloke named Asmund Vignes, a norwegian. I watched him turn a similar one the other day. The other is the knife I made onboard. We had two Norqegian instructors to guide us and it is made from a aupplied knife blank. Then we made the handle and sheath.. So a bit of woodwork and leather work combined to make a nice memento of the trip.

Dalboy we started.in London then to Bath and then up to Conwy, after that it has become a blur of fantastic people and scenery. I programed the gps to avoid motorways so we enjoyed the scenis route.
Overall we did over 1200 miles. Only scratched the surface of a place filled with history and scenery. A good taste of what to focus on on our next trip. 50 UK people on board. Have met Peter Hills during the knife making.

Christos
21st August 2014, 01:12 PM
Gastro on a ship, uhmmm :no: not the most pleasant way to travel.

I love the idea of making something as a reminder of time spent on the cruise.

ian thorn
21st August 2014, 02:28 PM
If you get a chance have a chat to John Hodson from Scotland He makes great knives. Thanks for the photos it is great to see what is happening on the cruise get well soon

Wood Nut
23rd August 2014, 04:57 PM
"Bloody gastro bug has invaded the ship. A lot of people crook, including me and the missus".

I hope Pommyphil didn't trigger this by posting photos of the "bowels of the ship", from his cruise 2 years ago, at the beginning of this thread. Seriously though, get well and enjoy the rest of the cruise. Thanks for the photos Lyle - some very familiar faces there.
Cheers,
Paul

Lyle
24th August 2014, 06:35 AM
Thanks. We are well on the way to recovery and home. I will post some more photos when we get back.
Without trying to sound like a spruiker, the cruise is everything and more than I expected. We did manage to keep the Aussie flag flying with our presence.
On a great note the auction for the Cancer Research raised 90,000NOK = $18,000AUD (roughly as my brain isn't workin so good).
All the participants and demonstrators were great.
We are in Oslo for a day after a train trip across the country. Very pretty place.
Lyle is tired boy now must get sleep
More when we get home and rested etc.

Lyle
29th August 2014, 05:24 PM
Well we are back home safely and happy.
Had a fantastic trip.
Would do it again in an instant if the chance came up.
Learnt that I must now save for a new lathe. :( My old girl just isn't up to scratch for the next level of turnings.
But that is good. Onwards and upwards.
So I'l be haunting the sites for the new replacement. (new or secondhand, as long as it ticks all my new "must have" boxes.

A couple of things we bought from the turners on the boat.
The blue vases were made by Michael Swendsen (Svendsen?) from Canada.
The cake stand with a nice piece of inside out turning was made by Arthur Evensen from Norway.
The burl bowl was made by Asmund Vignes from Norway,using ring tools.

Tankstand
30th August 2014, 07:52 AM
So I'l be haunting the sites for the new replacement. (new or secondhand, as long as it ticks all my new "must have" boxes.)

Just curious, what are your "Must have" boxes LyLe?

pommyphil
30th August 2014, 10:48 AM
Just curious, what are your "Must have" boxes LyLe?
A Vicmarc ? :D

Lyle
30th August 2014, 02:56 PM
My must have boxes - electronic variable speed, reverse, solid (cast), hollow headshaft with No2 morse taper, Solid tail stock, a 1" 10tpi nose thread to fit my axcessories.
After that I need to be able to afford it......
I think the vicmarc aeema to be in the lead.
But I am only lurkig/looking wishfully at the moment.
Lyle.

ROB NZ
2nd September 2014, 09:13 PM
Sorry, this is a very late reply . I don't often log in to the forum.

I did the cruise in 2011, and as blown away by it all.

Well organised. Odd Erik Thjomoe, the organiser was friendly, helpful responsive, and fun!

The 30 or so demonstrators, English, Irish, Americans, Aussies, Norwegians, 4 NZ ers, and others were all excellent.
As passengers, there were 5 NZ, 8 Aussie, 73 Norwegian, 41 Americans, 59 from the UK, etc, etc.
Food on board excellent, but it was a "dry" ship. That was no big problem.
Apart from the variety of demonstrations and short courses and classes, the ability to converse over a meal with woodturning personalities who you otherwise just read about was marvellous.
Every day a different port, where locals came on board to see demonstrations and buy stuff. We were able to go ashore and look at the towns or take organised excursions.
Passengers brought samples of their own work to display. There was an end of cruise auction which raised money for a Norwegian charity.
Downside: The Gann is not a "cruise" ship. It is owned and run by a maritime training organisation and takes charters when the students are on vacation
Cabins are basic, but comfortable. My daughter and I had no complaints. But Norway is a long way away, and costs in Norway are high.

I imagine that this year's cruise is now just finished.

If I am going to Europe three years from now and a cruise is offering I would certainly consider going again.

By the way, everyone spoke English.

Cheers

ROB NZ

Lyle
2nd September 2014, 09:36 PM
Next cruise already filling up - apparently. :)

I've broken the bank on this one and am saving for a new lathe, so unless my lotto comes in......

Lyle.

Christos
2nd September 2014, 09:38 PM
Lyle; Great to hear that you are back and the cruise was a great one to be on.

and for Rob NZ; :2tsup:

Jim Carroll
2nd September 2014, 09:47 PM
Lyle as a ball park figure what sort of cost do you think the whole trip cost, were you alone or did the good lady go with you, not sure if I read that the two of you went.