PDA

View Full Version : Very good way to remove rust

woodfast
21st January 2014, 10:04 AM
A friend was telling how they remove rust in vintage car club using mango and water To get started you need 6-8 mangoes rotten or ripe is fine add 9-10 litres water let them ferment for a couple of weeks covered after that simply place items in if oily or covered in grease wash with degreaser this mix removes paint easily
I saw a old Holden jack that was frozen after in the mix for abut two weeks turned freely . But word of caution it will eat cast iron or strip galvanise if left to long in the mix and must use plastic not metal bucket give it go you will impressed
:U

BobL
21st January 2014, 11:20 AM
Sounds like a waste of mangoes to me.

The reason this works is because mangoes contain citric acid which is also found in most fruit. Mangoes contain relatively little citric acid which is probably why so many are needed. The 6-8 mangoes could probably be replaced with one lemon.

Hornetb
21st January 2014, 11:57 AM
Or use electrolysis :2tsup:

petersemple
21st January 2014, 04:17 PM
Sounds liek a great idea. Even if lemons are better, at this time of the year I have access to many hundreds if mangoes, most of which are half eaten and then thrown on the ground. Might be something useful to do with them all rather than just throw them away.

Evanism
21st January 2014, 05:24 PM
At $8 a mango (here) that jack must be bloody hard to replace....

nearnexus
21st January 2014, 06:20 PM

Wow, that's a lot for a mango. Never more than $2 in South Oz.

I read that you can use molasses or even old pumpkins to ferment down to form citric acid.

Plenty of videos showing this works (slowly) or you can go fast and use electrolysis.

I prefer the latter.

No mangos required :no:

Rob

BobL
21st January 2014, 07:31 PM
Wow, that's a lot for a mango. Never more than $2 in South Oz.

I read that you can use molasses or even old pumpkins to ferment down to form citric acid.

When fruits ferment it generally forms alcohol and when that is exposed to air guess what it forms? - ethanoic acid which is another name for - . . . . . vinegar.

I looked up Mango Vinegar and apparently it is very hard to make without adding some vinegar to it.

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2014, 10:02 PM
Yup, good old vinegar, you can buy cleaning vinegar in a 2 litre bottle at the supermarket or Bunnies for less than $3 a litre.

Ready to go when you want it & it doesn't stink. :2tsup:

Ueee
21st January 2014, 10:36 PM

You need to go to Aldi....$2 each the other day....

Ew

Metmachmad
22nd January 2014, 07:47 AM
To get started you need 6-8 mangoes rotten or ripe is fine add 9-10 litres water let them ferment for a couple of weeks covered.....
:U
That would be about the best thing that can happen to mangoes.

Retromilling
22nd January 2014, 07:58 AM
Or use electrolysis :2tsup:

So do I . just finished the inside of a motorcyle tank . Basic tools are 12 volt car battery , good size battery charger , washing soda .
There is plenty of info on this method on youtube etc.

chambezio
22nd January 2014, 09:03 AM
I have three old steel objects, A jenny wheel with hook, a bench press ( you know, a heavy steel frame with a cause threaded plunger with handle), and a base for a rotary chuck (I think thats what it is) On the week end I mixed up 18 litres of molasses and water. I read where it should sit for 3 weeks to ferment. Well nothing seemed to be happening so I dumped the rusty stuff in. Yesterday when I looked the surface had some froth on top. The plastic drum that contains the mix is right at the front of the shed and at the moment there is the sweet smell of molasses when I walk past. It reminds me of a visit to a sugar mill 40 years ago

Retromilling
22nd January 2014, 09:48 AM
It is just too slow and messy that way . https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=remove+rust+washing+soda&sm=12
Feed the molasses to the cattle not the rust .

matthew_g
22nd January 2014, 04:24 PM
You need to go to Aldi....$2 each the other day....

Ew
Aldi had four for $4 last week.. Needless to say, as an Ex Darwin-ite I bought 16 of the yummy buggers......:D:D:D

woodfast
22nd January 2014, 11:54 PM
Aldi had four for $4 last week.. Needless to say, as an Ex Darwin-ite I bought 16 of the yummy buggers......:D:D:D

I also lived in Darwin for 33 years mangoes I could go down the road to mate's mango farm and plently of the buggers for free

woodfast
23rd January 2014, 01:13 AM
Sounds like a waste of mangoes to me.

The reason this works is because mangoes contain citric acid which is also found in most fruit. Mangoes contain relatively little citric acid which is probably why so many are needed. The 6-8 mangoes could probably be replaced with one lemon.

Thanks for that I will it try once the lemons are ready

Evanism
24th January 2014, 01:14 AM

One more beer!

Then it's time to squeeze the lemon!

:roll:

BobL
24th January 2014, 10:55 AM

I reckon all fruit methods are messy. If you want the same effect with less mess I would use powdered citric acid from the grocery store or quicker still would be the $2/bottle cleaning vinegar from Bunnings.

I'm not a fan of using any acid method of rust removal because if you forget about it the acid can eventually attack and pit the metal. I much prefer electrolysis, a bit more effort to set up but it cannot damage the metal.

Retromilling
24th January 2014, 02:10 PM
I'm not a fan of using any acid method of rust removal because if you forget about it the acid can eventually attack and pit the metal. I much prefer electrolysis, a bit more effort to set up but it cannot damage the metal.

+1 on that .