PDA

View Full Version : Router bits for canoe/kayak strips (slats)

Boatasaurus
21st January 2014, 11:01 PM
Just to share if anyone is looking for 1/4" radius bead and cove (flute) router bits - ordered Amana brand router bits (1/2" shaft only) on-line 14th January from ToolsToday.com in the US, arrived today 21 January, bits look and feel good with cutting edges protected in a thick gell covering. Combined purchase/expedited shipping/currency conversion cost was nearly identical to over the counter purchase price for equivalent CMT brand bits from Melbourne Carbatec. Why go offshore? Two CMT sets obtained from Carbatec were out of round (bad batch? and returns accepted with no problems) and Carb-i-tool don't have an off the shelf matching 1/4" radius cove bit for their 1/4" bead cutter, but could make one up a one-off for a price, unfortunately a no brainer to order o/seas.

Cheers David

redreuben
14th March 2014, 11:32 AM
I've found with books ordering overseas usually arrives within a week but Australia takes double or more. Unfortunately Aussie business has dropped the ball with internet shopping.

anewhouse
14th March 2014, 01:12 PM
Don't forget that you don't need any router bits at all if you bevel the strips instead of using bead and cove. :U

Many builders, including me, prefer to bevel rather than use bead and cove. There are definite advantages to beveling, especially if you use 5mm or 4mm thick strips or even 3.5mm such as I used on my latest racing kayak.