PDA

View Full Version : Carb-a-tec's scroll chuck

bdar
7th June 2005, 10:54 PM
Hello everybody,

I will be back in Brisbane at the end of the month, so it means I will have to go to Carb-a-tec again. What I am wanting to know is, has anyone bought and used their scroll chuck. It's about $145, how does it measure up to the real deal, vicmarc. Already have 2 vicmarc's but didn't want to outlay the extra $$$$. Also does the vicmarc jaws fit onto the chuck body or do I need an adaptor plate like the Bohnam? Anyone that could help, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

To all things good

Darren

soundman
7th June 2005, 11:15 PM
Have you looked at the nova midi chuck.
I've just baught one & its very competitive with the clones.
Give gary pye a call & see what he will do for you.
supose it depends on what you are looking for.
cheers

powderpost
7th June 2005, 11:32 PM
The cheaper scroll chuck from Carba-Tec is a chinese copy of the Bonham chuck. The Bonham chuck is the same as the novascroll chuck from Tecknatool and the jaws are interchangable. They will not accept the Vicmarc jaws without an adapter plate. Remember you get what you pay for.
Jim

powderpost
7th June 2005, 11:36 PM
Forgot to mention, there is a new Tecknatool in Brisbane.... Dyco International. Good to know where the competition is. By the way I have no interest in Dyco.
Jim

bdar
7th June 2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Jim,

Do you know what part of Brisbane that Dyco Int. is located?

Darren

David H
8th June 2005, 01:10 AM
Hi Guys
You should find Dyco at following address
Dyco international Pty Ltd
U7 / 13 Strathwyn St
Brendale 4500
07 38615032
www.dycointernational.com (http://www.dycointernational.com/)

David

bdar
8th June 2005, 10:18 PM
David,

Thanks for Dyco's address, will check them out when I am down there.

Darren

La truciolara
8th June 2005, 10:49 PM
... Remember you get what you pay for.
JimHow true!
I will never get any other chucks than Vicmarc afer having tried many different ones (to the dismay of my purse :) )

adrian
8th June 2005, 10:58 PM
Don't even think about it. You already have two Vicmarcs. If you buy the Bonham clone it's two steps forward, one step back.
I have one and I think most on the forum who own one have had a problem with the holes that the levers fit into elongating after a short time. Which is a good indication of inferior steel.

smidsy
10th June 2005, 12:34 AM
I got one of these chucks as part of the package with MC900, after less than 6 months the holes where the bars go to tighten the chuck were elongating which meant it couldn't be tightened properly.
These chucks really are only fit to be given away with a lathe for the cost of the insert (how I got mine) as a means of showing newbie turners the value of a chuck - after using the Carbatec chuck I was more than happy to spend the money on a Vicmarc.

If you can get one for $30 or less get the Carbatec chuck, otherwise don't because $30 is the max it's worth.

If you really need another chuck spend the extra on a Vicmarc - the cost difference is insignificant in comparison to the quality difference.

Cheers
Paul

bdar
10th June 2005, 12:38 AM
Adrian and to all that have replied, thanks for your views. I work in retail and you are right, you get what you pay for. I guess at the end of the day I will go vicmarc, pay a bit more but have quality. Thanks again. Darren :)