PDA

View Full Version : turning toolson ebay

Farm boy
8th June 2005, 02:29 AM
gentleman
can i partake in your wisdom and ask are these a good brand of turning tools to bid forhttp://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8196444910

Tankstand
8th June 2005, 08:04 AM
IF they are all as he says and aren't chinese, then yes, go for it. But as to what is a good price?

03-Jun-05
Q: Hey John, Can you tell me the name brand of the lathe tools? Thanks, Scott
A: The tools are BORAL-RN HSS

Dean
8th June 2005, 03:25 PM
If HSS, I wouldn't go over $65-$70 for them. They look like they are not overly used. A new HSS chinese set from the usual woody suppliers here goes for around the $110 mark.

arose62
8th June 2005, 08:02 PM
I'm guessing that "Boral RN" should be "Boral P&N".

P&N is a good aussie brand of turning tools. It's a pity he seems to have measured *along* each tool, rather than across/around them.

As for price - have a look through brand new price lists (Carbatec, Timbecon, etc. etc.) and come up with some average price that feels right to you. Big tools can easily break $100 unhandled. Smaller ones get down around $30.

My rule of thumb for flea markets & garage sales is that $10 per tool is a bargain, up to $20 if I really want it. Otherwise, save up for just the tool(s) that you've learned that you really need.

I had a couple of good scores at garage sales, and now have a few tools that don't see much use at all.

Cheers,
Andrew

rsser
8th June 2005, 08:28 PM
Yep, Boral owns or used to own P&N, tho I wasn't aware that they'd tried to rebadge the turning tools.

P&N steel is in my view as good as anything the comes out of the UK; in fact, I prefer it to Sorby all other things equal ... but not to Henry Taylor ;-}

The gouge flutes tho can be pretty rough.

HiString
9th June 2005, 12:12 AM
It may or may not be significant but the handles on one or two of those look very similar to the handles on the Chinese sets in some of the catalogues.

Farm,

Did you get across to the Woodturners Co-op..........we (SHMBO and myself), went there just after you and I last "communicated"..........very impressive setup and no doubt we will be joining up, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Now all I need is for some of the knowledgeable folk here to post some comments or recommendations in my thread about chuck jaws.

:cool:

Farm boy
9th June 2005, 12:37 AM
thanks for the info guys

hello hi string i just had 4 weeks holiday and shmbo had the ordacity to go to hospital for an operation so being a good slave i looked after the family and didnt get the chance to get there.
once the wife gets over her illness i get there in a month or so
congrats on your woodlathe hi string did you get it on e bay or what is the story
greg

HiString
9th June 2005, 01:30 AM
Greg,

Although I check Ebay regularly and would have spotted it myself, I did get the "heads up" on this from a post here. I'm driving down to Canberra tomorrow to pick it up......should be back by 10 tomorrow night. The funny thing is that until a couple of years ago the seller lived at Wangi and actually purchased the lathe from the old Tool City (now Gasweld) at Warners Bay, so it's basically coming back home.

Anyways, time to finish getting Canberra maps off the net and get to bed.

Catch ya,

Chris :cool:

Farm boy
9th June 2005, 04:52 AM
chris

i just checked your lathe out on e bay,it looks really grouse
how much power has it got 1h/p?

Farm boy
10th June 2005, 05:43 PM
Them woodturning tools are up to $50 already 2 days to go and i havent bid yet.

They must be made of gold and garentee a perfectly turned object as soon as you use them.
The question is should i tell the wife about this ,or not tell her and surprise her later on saying these were a bargain and watch her go ballistic from the saftey of my shed. :)

HiString
10th June 2005, 06:10 PM
I'm going to remain wisely silent :) .

Although come to think of it, I haven't mentioned to SHMBO that I will have to buy a chuck in the near future, maybe if I cover it in dust and crap she won't realise it is new :D ..........it will just "appear" amongst all the other stuff lying around.

BTW, after a 900 klm round trip, I now have the Nova sitting in the workshop and have just realised it has a 1.5hp not the usual 1.0hp motor as well as an additional bed extension, not that I currently envisage turning long items but you never know.

Farm boy
10th June 2005, 07:28 PM
hi chris

it sounds like the trip was good and you got a bargain with a 1.5 h/p donk in it
did it come with any chisels or did you buy some already.
there is another set of chisels in sydney on e bay kingzolo is the seller if i dont go any good with these i might bid for them,i can use them to kill my ducks when they eat all my strawberrys in the garden

HiString
11th June 2005, 01:27 AM
Greg,

The trip was pretty well stress free, even taking into account get totally lost in the most southern suburbs of Canberra on dusk in peak hour traffic :eek: ...........anyway, we managed to find the seller's address and after a quick nearby MacDonald's break we headed home.

One thing that "blew us away" was we entered the F3 link road at Wallsend at 11.16am and exited EXACTLY 12 hours, 900 klms (approx) and a few pit stops later at 11.16pm.......if you tried to plan it that way it would never work.

No chisels or chuck with the lathe, they were Ebayed seperately and I wasn't able to get to the PC to bid before they ended..........was a typical 6 piece chisel set (the $100 kind you find at Gasweld, CarbaTec, etc) and the chuck was a Record Power Chuck set so I'm not particularly worried about missing them anyways. Although I'm not fussed about having to outlay the dollars, I need the lathe for "business" reasons so hopefully in time it will repay me.