PDA

View Full Version : Cheap shelving ideas ??

AshleyM
8th June 2005, 11:54 AM
Does anyone have any cheap shelving ideas to help tidy up the shed and also so I can find things when I go looking for them

Ash

Trav
8th June 2005, 02:44 PM
lots of people use old doors and things like that.

I built a bit set of built-in shelves in my shed from 90x45 framing pine and chipbaord. This works well, is quick to make and is pretty cheap. Did I mention strong?

Bunnins etc all have heaps of pine and chipboard and can even cut stuff to lenght if you don't ahve the gear.

Trav

B.J.Honeycut
8th June 2005, 02:59 PM
My brother in-law works next to a motorcycle shop, the new bikes come packed in these light weight metal frames. They normally throw them out but he spoke to the guys at the shop and they saved a heap for him. You just stand the frames up on there ends and whack some pine/mdf/chipboard in the handy ledges in the frames. They stand about 6 feet tall by 2 feet wide and when you put the shelves they make 3 shelves per unit(plus on top). The frames are also really easy to bolt together to make a large continous unit. He decked out his shed and my old mans shed too. Really CHEAP.

Dean
8th June 2005, 03:07 PM
You can also get those cheap $20 4-5 shelf pressed metal stands that are ok for workshop shelving. I have a few of them I use to store my power tools on (in their cases).

JDarvall
8th June 2005, 11:40 PM
I have an op-shop a few houses down that sells old furniture, mostly junk of course .....everytime I pass I have a quick look for bed frames.....the ones made of metal angle iron welded at the corners and springs accross the middle.......get them real cheap because nobody really wants them......$3 a bed........ and there's a lot of angle iron in one bed........just chop it up with angle grinder (use those 1mm disks from mitre 10....they cut off much faster).....then bolt them together or weld even better in the shape of a triangle.....often using the holes that are already there that took the bed springs just screw your new brackets to wall.......and then buy fence palings......at most places there under $2 ea.......screw them to the brackets and there's your shelf............thats what I have done with my shed.......