PDA

View Full Version : Timber in Tassie

Alastair
8th June 2005, 01:45 PM
This is a repost of my post in the "General" forum, As we all know that turners would never lower themselves to mere 'woodworking':D

I was hoping the Forum could give me some guidance. I am taking the family on a 2 week jaunt around Tassie in the July vac. Travelling on the "Spirit", so have a small amount of potential space in the back of the station wagon to bring back a small amount of the famous "Tassie Timber". (Thought about towing a trailer, but would have added 50% to the fare). Do any of the members have information on potential places to pick up good deals? Are there any quarantine implications coming back?

My principal interest is turning, but I also make the odd furniture piece and box.

dazzler
8th June 2005, 01:58 PM
Hi alistair

Island specialty timbers is very good in geeveston which is down past huon which is down past Hobart.

A lovely drive, geeveston is an old timber town and has a timber display, cafes etc plus the tahune airwalk is about 20min further on.

They have huon, black sass, myrtle etc in different sizes of rough sawn.

Dont know about burls or bowls etc but they are helpful and if you tell them when you will arrive they can get stuff in

PS. If you can sleep in the trailer (ie camper) then its free!

cheers

dazzler

rsser
8th June 2005, 08:19 PM
Hi Alastair.

Have you searched the forums? There's a heap of posts about buying Timber in Tassie.

eg. search on Tasman's posts; he's a supplier; or mine.

Cockatoo in the NW is well worth a visit on the way to the picturesque Stanley Nut. But be clear about what you want otherwise the tarps won't come off the good stuff ;-}

For turning stuff I was disappointed with Island Specialty Timbers, and also the place in Strahan, when I was over there at Easter time. Just the same old stuff we see on the mainland and no cheaper; and this applied to most by-the-way craft places many of which sell blanks too.

No quarantine probs unless you're packing salami with the wood.

There's some shipping subsidy scheme available if your boot is full of kids, but you have to push the suppliers about it.

(Edit: an unexpected byproduct of my trip, given that I visited a heap of craft places, was to see some inspiring ways of using their woods. So if the family will let you off the leash...! Eg. wood etc art place at Stanley Nut; turner on the road between Cygnet and Oyster Cove in the SE, and Salamanca place and its market).

dazzler
9th June 2005, 07:19 PM
Hey

Dropped in for coffee at the Franklin Boat Building centre.

A couple of places to try are Roger Linell (huon-cygnet road) just out of Huonville.

Bern Bradshaw in Queenstown. Im pretty sure he is the huon guy in queenstown and may have been the one that rssr saw.

They are both in the phone book.

Franklin boats source from Bern and Island Specialty Timbers(among others)

Grabbed a price list for IST;

Green Woodturning Blanks

Blackwood, Myrtle and Ti Tree Blackheart $3.85kg

Houn Pine and King Billy $6.60 kg

Mytle Featured $5.50 kg

Black Sassy and Leatherwood $4.40kg

Myrtle burl and Huon Clock faces $7.70 kg

Should give you some idea of prices

Last year I picked up some black sass and huon from them and it was very good quality.

cheers

dazzler

ozwinner
9th June 2005, 08:03 PM
Are there any quarantine implications coming back?

You cant come back to the mainland unless you marry your cousins daughter, and you must grow another head.

Al :p

Tasman
9th June 2005, 09:00 PM
Hey guy's,now if you want specific size timber how about buying a log and i can mill it for you to exactly what you want,quite simple really if you dont mind it being green and have patience while it dries,remember you dont come to Tassie every week to buy timber............Just and idea if you are bringing a trailer..............

Reguards Tasman

Tasman
9th June 2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Ozz,I beleive there is a lot of head being grown over here....... :D :D

ozwinner
9th June 2005, 09:09 PM
I bet there is, right conditions for it..

Al :eek: :D

martink
9th June 2005, 11:33 PM
Hey Ozz,I beleive there is a lot of head being grown over here....... :D :D
I think you would want a boogie board bag instead of a trailer then huh? :confused:

dazzler
10th June 2005, 08:19 PM
You cant come back to the mainland unless you marry your cousins daughter, and you must grow another head.

Al :p
hee hee, thats funny

Alastair
28th June 2005, 02:03 PM
Dazzler, Tasman, Rsser etc

Thanks heaps for the information. My apologies for not staying up on this thread, but I suffered terminal problems with my computer just after I posted, and then have been away on Business.

I sail on Sunday 3rd , from Sydney, arriving Devonport Monday, And will be there touring for just less than 2 weeks, returning 16th. If any of the Tassie board members PM me with details, I will attempt to make contact, SWMBO and kids allowing.