PDA

View Full Version : wood dust

Redback
8th June 2005, 02:01 PM
Has anyone got a recommendation for a respirator or some other device so that im not getting my lungs full of dust?

After a weekend of sanding, down to 1200 grit, I think I sucked up a tonne of Jarrah dust.

I have heard the Triton is not quite there, so is there a tried and true system?

cheers

RB

JackoH
8th June 2005, 06:05 PM
If you sucked down a tonne of Jarrah, or any other dust you don't need a respirator, you need a Doctor - Quick :eek: !
Should you survive with lungs intact, get a 3M (used to be Racal) Dustmaster. I have had one for several years now with no problems. Fairly expensive, but cheaper and less painful than a lung transplant.
I almost hesitate to also reccomend that you do a search :mad: , there is a wealth of info. on this board on this subject :D

Sturdee
8th June 2005, 07:30 PM
I almost hesitate to also reccomend that you do a search :mad: , there is a wealth of info. on this board on this subject :D

Don't hesitate to mention it, as it is the appropriate advice.

Peter.

Gumby
8th June 2005, 07:39 PM
Redders, there's an in teresting review of several dust masks and respirators in the current issue of.................ummm........**** I left it at work, only bought it today too. Check your local newsagent. Is it Fine wooworking or something like that? Anyway, it came out recommending the Triton as the best in value for money although he did have some issues with the placemat of the ear muffs. There's a good deal of info in the Triton forum on this as well. I know you've had probs with your Trion but the respirator is effective. The article actually starts with 'Wood dust is A1 carcenogenic' or similar. You need something for sure. i used to come in coughing after a day in the shed but no more.

himzol
8th June 2005, 08:13 PM
Have to agree with Gumby.

I've been working with some recycled redgum of late and have thanked every and all daities (you never know) for the Triton respirator.

I replaced the original air tube with some medical grade stuff we had at work, mainly because I needed it to be shorter otherwise it is as it came out of the box.

Himzo

Rusty
8th June 2005, 08:22 PM
Australian Wood Review. And yeah, a search of the board will yield a veritable treasure trove of dust control info. Hopefully not too much to trawl through, though- too much information can be a bad thing!

Regards,
Rusty.

Harry72
8th June 2005, 10:20 PM
Racal is the rolls royce, the dustmaster is a good unit going by the review in the AWR, they(the reviewer) said that the unit isnt comfortable. From what I've seen of the dustmaster unit it only provides impact protection to your face area, and the hose that connects the fan/filter pack may get in the way. Plus it looks very difficult to put on.

I use(at work)the racal/3M airstream AH10 style helmet which is a fully enclosed unit, the fan/filters are built into rear neck area behind your head and the battery is separate(keep in back pocket or on a belt)it can last upto 24hrs before charging(2X12hr sessions with 12hr inbetween)with regular use and can last for years(1 of mine at work is over 5yrs old).
They are very comfortable to wear and provide more impact and dust protection than any others that I know of and are extremely durable I would not be suprised if you get over 20yrs service in a wood workshop enviroment from the actual helmet, the fan/motor at my work last approximatley 2yrs(were talking extremes, heat/caustic and metal fumes and abuse)with an average 42hr week.
There are many options available with these airstreams, like many types of filters different face/head seals earmuffs large or small batterys/chargers even several shades of tint on the face shield(a replaceble insert). Glasses can be worn underneath, and you can have a full beard with no affect on filter performance! They are extremely easy to wear and use... just like putting on a welding helmet and flipping down the visor.(unlike the dustmaster)
Allthough they cost heaps, about $1500 for a full setup with spares... but not as much as your own health cost's.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/woodwork/work%20space/as400_new2.jpg
http://envirosafetyproducts.com/html/Subcategories/airstream.htm
I find using respirators are a bandaid approach, they use negative pressure thus rely on a good seal on the face to filter to their full potential... do you like shaving twice a day and if you use any facial expressions it can break the seal, not to mention having a uncomfortable rubber sink plunger stuck to your face!
Postive pressure is the best approach but you must ensure enough air flow(pressure) to keep the dust particals out.

JackoH
9th June 2005, 10:44 AM
I often wear my Dustmaster for three or four hours at a time, I did wind some foam around the headband, and that made it quite comfortable.
It's certainly much better than the catarhh and sneezing that ensues if you use nothing, and much more user friendly than the rubber face mask type, particularly if you have face fungus.

Santalum
10th June 2005, 04:20 PM
I agree with Harry a Racal airstream ( now owned by 3M) would be the ultimate, like Harry I/we use them in our work place in a dust laden atmosphere and the performance is top notch, however being a practicle person I wonder how many of us would spring for $1000 + when this amount of cash would buy another whizz bang piece of equipment for the workshop.
A pack of disposable masks also made by 3M seems like the cheap and logical solution for most of us, it certainly is for me.

johnc
10th June 2005, 09:42 PM
I can't justify the face masks that are referred to here, so I've stuck with a basic dust extractor and twin cartridge face mask. Only costing $30 or so its not as good or as comfortable but does provide adequate protection I believe. I might add I would not like to wear it for extended periods.

JohnC

Gumby
10th June 2005, 10:28 PM
I can't justify the face masks that are referred to here,
JohnC

they're your lungs, you can put anything you like into them.

johnc
11th June 2005, 06:47 PM
Gumby,

That's a little unfair, the filters on the twin units are very effective, but you do have to be carefull with the fit, and yes they are like having a sink plunger stuck to your face. However I'm not a huge user of power tools so my needs are not as great.

JohnC

Gumby
11th June 2005, 07:11 PM
Gumby,

That's a little unfair, the filters on the twin units are very effective, but you do have to be carefull with the fit, and yes they are like having a sink plunger stuck to your face. However I'm not a huge user of power tools so my needs are not as great.

JohnC

Possibly was a bit harsh John. Sorry for that but I think it's very important to protect yourself , regardless of how much time you spend out there. If only I bothered to put on my respirator as often as I should :o

ozwinner
11th June 2005, 07:41 PM
Asthmatic voice, on.

Here is what I use.

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=tbn:rjrcK4GQzgsJ:http://www.cherylasmith.com/halloween/masks/4616.jpg (http://www.cherylasmith.com/halloween/masks/4616.jpg)
Al :D

ribot
13th June 2005, 09:03 PM
OK, just for starters pull that old fan out of the corner you haven't been in for donkeys and set it up so it blows the dust away from you, prefferably into your back yard and not onto the washing of she who must be obeyed, then when you have had enought of that go buy a dust extractor , 2HP and don't buy the smaller one because you will save $50-90 cause you and your lungs will regret it.

Other than the fan , an old drum type vacum cleaner with enought pool cleaner hose so that you can leave the vac outside with the dust and you inside with relatively clean air.
Good luck.

Trav
15th June 2005, 01:13 PM
If you have a 2hp dusty going, connected to each machine, do you need a dust mask? I only tend to use a mask when on the TS and sander (when I can't sand outside).

Thinking of buying and ducting a 2hp dusty, but if I need to use a mask anyway, am I better off investing in a triton dustmask and continuing with the didgy triton dustbucket?

Or should I do both?

Trav

Gumby
15th June 2005, 01:18 PM
You can't collect it all Trav. The Triton dust mask is one of the best things I've bought. The DC will collect a lot but the airborne small micro particles which you can't see are the ones which really do some damage. Check the article in the curret issue of Aust Wood Review. very informative.

Have you upgraded the Trion bucket to the cyclone mod ? If not, I'd say that's a job you need to get on to asap. Much better results with it done.

There's lots of times I've used the Trion mask in places other than the workshop as well. Like in the kitchen when cutting up a whole lot of onions for the Triton Club BBQ !! It was bloody brilliant !

PAH1
15th June 2005, 02:05 PM
I too bought the triton mask, have absolutely no regrets-particularly with the new air hose. I used to get nose bleeds when sanding on the lathe, I do not even need to consider that anymore. I am a pretty tall person with a large head and wide spacing between the eyes (Hi Al), disposable masks are made for small people with small faces, I was never able to get any disposable mask to fit properly and the same was true of the twin cartridge respirators. The respitator is also great for when you are using the brush cutter.