PDA

View Full Version : New toy has arrived

Dalboy
31st January 2014, 01:41 AM
I know it may not be a big toy but it is a toy to me anyway.

Well it arrived and now all I need to do is have a play.

http://www.marksanger.co.uk/REV%20CUTTER%20SHOT.JPG

ian thorn
31st January 2014, 07:33 AM
You go play I have one as well pays to watch the video first.

Ian

Dalboy
31st January 2014, 07:50 AM
Thank you Ian.

I have watched Mark's video 3 times and also had a good chat with him. also managed to have a go on one that someone else had. All I need to do now is turn something worth while:U:U:U

Watch this space will be posting something soon I hope:rotfl::rotfl:

chuck1
31st January 2014, 09:08 AM
a new toy is anew toy! now go to the shed! and play dalboy! looks like a handy tool to have in the kit!

Hermit
31st January 2014, 09:51 AM
It's finally arrived. Good one. :2tsup:
I'm looking forward to seeing what you can come up with. Also what you think of the tool once you get used to it. I like the look of that articulated neck.

Dalboy
31st January 2014, 11:33 PM
First effort at using the Hollowing tool and first impressions.

Spent some time reading the set up ( I had already watched a video on using ).

Drilled a hole in the blank to make it easier to hollow, when I first took some cuts had some twitching and a little shuddering but did not take me long to get into a correct stance and cutting angle so waste material removal was very quick and had to stop very frequently to clear out the form as it filled at an alarmingly fast rate (but then it is only small).
Getting close to the final thickness and started to clean up any lumps and bumps found the it left a very clean cut and finish. At this point I realised that I had gone a little to thin OOOPS and it parted (I will point out this was down to the operator)

So as A first impression it is going to be a well used tool in my arsenal.

This is only the ring tool part have yet to try the other cutters

Hermit
31st January 2014, 11:43 PM
I'm turning green again. (I want every new tool that I see - lucky I'm broke.)
Looks like you're well on the way to mastering the new tool already Derek. That was (well on the way to) a nice hollowing job from such a small opening.
The top half looks like a little natural-edge bowl in the pic.

dr4g0nfly
2nd February 2014, 07:14 AM
I've watched Mark demonstrate this tool, he make it look very easy.

Bad luck on the TARDIS but we've all had them.

Dalboy
2nd February 2014, 07:47 AM
I'm turning green again. (I want every new tool that I see - lucky I'm broke.)
Looks like you're well on the way to mastering the new tool already Derek. That was (well on the way to) a nice hollowing job from such a small opening.
The top half looks like a little natural-edge bowl in the pic.

Practice with what you have Steve and build up you tools as you need them it is so easy to get carried away buying tools and end up with loads that never get used. This is the first new turning tool I have purchased for a year
I know that feeling looking through catalogues and thinking I want this or that but I have held back and only brought as I have wanted.
As for the hollow form that is now been broken up and in the "File 13" draw:U:U:U

I've watched Mark demonstrate this tool, he make it look very easy.

Bad luck on the TARDIS but we've all had them.

Even on his video he makes it look easy. and I am sure it will not be the last OOOPS

Hermit
2nd February 2014, 11:19 AM
Practice with what you have Steve and build up you tools as you need them it is so easy to get carried away buying tools and end up with loads that never get used. This is the first new turning tool I have purchased for a year
I know that feeling looking through catalogues and thinking I want this or that but I have held back and only brought as I have wanted.

Yeah, mate, I want everything, but in reality am still only buying the basics.
So far the collection only contains a 3/8" Sorby bowl gouge, a 1/8" Hamlet parting tool, a cheap $40 8-piece spindle tool set and the Sorby Turnmaster carbide set.

My grinder finally arrived on Friday after 2 months of prolonged battle with Carbatec. What a nightmare that was. First I was told that they'd back-ordered and the lead time was 10-15 days, which stretched to 5 weeks, then on 3 different occasions they said it had been sent when it hadn't, then when they finally did send it, they sent it to someone else in another state, (SA), and sent his motor pulley to me, then once again they didn't follow up and send it to me afterwards.
As a last straw I was forced to mention the Dept Fair Trading, so they promised (again) to send it immediately and it arrived one day later.
Dunno what's going on at Carbatec, but in future I'll buy from overseas if necessary rather than deal with them again. Enough is enough.
So, long story short, finally I can sharpen and use my tools. Everything so far has been done using the Turnmaster almost exclusively.
(Rant over. :) )