PDA

View Full Version : What's the go with Tazzy Oak?

Mark Woodward
16th August 1999, 11:01 PM
It seems to be from 3 or more different trees! Is one more suitable than the others for furniture building. My local saw mill sells pine, meranti, Western red cedar and TAS. OAK! Should I ask him which one it is, and will he know?
Thanks,
Mark Woodward.

RETIRED
17th August 1999, 08:18 AM
Mark,
Tas Oak from Tasmania is a beautiful furniture timber. It is close grained and although can splinter and tear sometimes when machining it is worth the effort IMHO.

Now here is where I will get flamed but I have my asbestos overalls on.

The species Eucalyptus Regnans covers Tas Oak and Victorian Ash but that is where the similarity ends. Tas oak (from Tasmania) is tighter and closer grained, it is also generally darker. Vic Ash is more open grained and much lighter in colour and weight than Tas Oak.

Bring on the heat http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

ubeaut
17th August 1999, 10:52 AM
IMHO??? Plaze axeplane!

Shane Watson
17th August 1999, 11:29 AM
Mark,
I use Tas Oak regularly for furniture manufacture. I prefer using it over pine. Besides, it has better grain than pine, in my opion anyway http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif
but as said, it is a little painful to machine and can be a little harsh on blades but you can get excellent results.
Also, because it is a light pale colour, it can be stained to match most ( if not all ) more expensive timbers.
You only live once, go buy some and use it for your next project!! It can't hurt!!
Cheers
Shane...

RETIRED
17th August 1999, 08:01 PM
For information.

IHMO= In My Humble Opinion.

------------------
Ian () Robertson

Ray
20th August 1999, 11:35 PM
Euc Regnan is the Botanical name for mountain Ash. Tas Oak is what it is marketed as. See Wood in Australia by K BOOTLE page 240

ubeaut
21st August 1999, 12:50 AM
Hi Mark

You asked the question. You have had the simple answers. Here is the ultimate answer, or at least part of it, If we were to follow all the botanical links from all the trees under the same name I could be here for days.

Tasmanian oak is listed under 3 botanical names:
Eucalyptus delagatensis
Eucalyptus obliqua
Eucalyptus regnas

Each of these three have a number of other common name trees listed under their name, they are as follows:

Eucalyptus delagatensis is also known as:
Alpine Ash, Australian Oak, Blue Leaf, Gum-topped Stringybark, Mountain White Gum, Tasmanian Oak, White-top, White-top Stringybark and Woolybutt.

Eucalyptus obliqua is also known as:
Australian Oak, Brown-top, Brown-top Stringybark, Messmate, Messmate Stringybark, Stringybark and Tasmanian Oak.

Eucalyptus regnas is also known as:
Australian Oak, Mountain Ash, Stringy Gum, Swamp Gum, Tasmanian Oak, Victorian Ash and White Mountain Ash.

Many of the above are also listed under other botanical names which in turn also have listt of other common name trees under them.

Need I continue? I hope not.

Neil Ellis http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Info from "Checklist of Australian Trees" by the late, Peter Robson

RETIRED
21st August 1999, 09:11 AM
I wish the botanists could get their act together. Sort of like calling the kitchen sink a bath. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson

Shane Watson
29th August 1999, 01:26 AM
Hey Mark,

How'd it go? Have ya had some hands on experience with Tas. oak yet??What did ya think?? If ya have that is!!

Shane...

Mark Woodward
5th September 1999, 08:59 PM
Hi Shane,
Sorry about the delay. I've been away for a week. I haven't mutilated any Tassy Oak yet! I went to the local timber merchant and I was pretty surprised to find that Tassy Oak's not much dearer than pine here until you start getting into wider boards.
Eg. 42x19 - pine $1.28/m
40x19 - Tassy Oak $1.45/m
go up to 190x19 say and there IS a difference.
$5.20/m - pine, $12.20/m T.Oak.
So the first job might be something small.
Incidently, Maranti was CHEAPER than pine @ 42x19($1.12) but it too was dearer at the wider width.
Cheers,
Mark

Shane Watson
5th September 1999, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I found the same thing, hence the reason why I use a lot of tas. oak.!
Actually, I can buy and transport tas. oak. up here ( Mackay ) from brisbane cheaper than I can buy pine locally!! Go figure!!
I usually only use 150x25 boards anyway. So I don't use much pine anymore!

Cheers

Shane...