PDA

View Full Version : Hot Weather

Toggy
2nd February 2014, 08:31 PM
You know you have had a hot spell when you go to use the degreaser tank with 50 or so litres of kero/diesel mix and it is too hot to keep your hands in it.
Tank is kept inside a workshop and has been heated with radiant heat. A whole new meaning to 'hot tanked'

Ken

Michael G
2nd February 2014, 10:01 PM
Or when the small container of water next to the bench grinder feels hot rather than cold

Michael

RayG
2nd February 2014, 10:23 PM
We were working outside this afternoon welding up the frame for a new side gate, The steel that was in direct sunshine was burning my hands before it had been cut or welded. Temp was 42C in theory, I read 65C on the paving.

Josh was welding in heavy leather coat, gloves and helmet... too hot for me, I quit... VB was nice tho.

Ray

Bryan
2nd February 2014, 11:17 PM
... too hot for me, I quit... VB was nice tho.

Yeah I wimped out too.

You know, as good as it tastes, alcohol is the last thing you need; it takes fluid out of your system rather than putting it in. Don't mean to poop any parties. I find it hard to stay hydrated enough even without it.

Ueee
2nd February 2014, 11:48 PM
Yeah, alcohol is a diuretic, If you drink 100ml of beer you have to urinate something like 130ml of liquid. A sure way to become dehydrated. Me? I drink that much water i doubt the 1 beer i have would do anything more than the heat already has!

The pic was me about 9pm the other night after welding up the press frame, still high 30's in the shed. I don't normally look so shiny, and it may not look it in the pic but my shirt was soaked. We seemed to have unusual humid heat this summer, i hate it.

Thats the problem with good insulation, once it gets hot inside the insulation stop the heat from leaving even if it is cooler outside.

My sunnies were in the shade in the van the other day after being parked in the midday sun for a few hours. They were hot to the point where i could pick them up but too hot to go on my face.

Ew

Toggy
3rd February 2014, 07:37 AM
Ewen,

That's a particularly handsome.... shed in the background.:D

Ken

eskimo
3rd February 2014, 08:45 AM
you guys are whimps...it has been warm but not hot...have a thought or two for aircon mechanics who have to fix airconditioning units when its 45c or so, while you whinging lot are inside sipping on a cold bottle of nectar :D

HOT is when your being blasted by all the waste heat from the airconditioning units condenser:o...that is around 60c on a 40 degree day

a VB, coopers or boags and even cascade tastes just fine on hot days...drink more water to compensate for the dehydration effects:p

chambezio
3rd February 2014, 09:13 AM
Hot weather never used to worry me, but now with the medication I am on I really feel it and it knocks me around abit as well. Thankfully retirement means I don't have to work in the heat......if I don't want to....
I usually come inside about 12 then don't go outside again till about 5pm)
I have 2 X 1.25ltr bottles of water (tank water in my case) that I keep in the fridge. After being out in the shed till I need a break, I grab a bottle and sit in the cooler (definitely not cold) part of the lounge room and slowly nearly drain the contents of the bottle in about 10 minutes. Some times I will drain 2 or 3 of these bottles. Due to the amount of juice that runs out of my skin I don't urinate a lot but it has made my blood sugar levels down to an ideal number (averaging around 4.5-5.8)
I reckon that because we consume more liquid in the hotter months we are healthier over all than in the cooler months

nearnexus
3rd February 2014, 10:33 AM
Spare a thought for the guys who've been spray topping hot bitumen in all this heat on our local roads.

What a job :C

As for beating the heat - glass (or more) of cask red with a nice big chunk of ice floating in it.

Yum.

Rob

PDW
3rd February 2014, 11:02 AM
I found it a lot easier and nicer to move to a place with a decent climate. Hottest I've ever seen it on the mezzanine level of my barn is 38C and that not for long. It was sill only 27C on the ground floor so I worked down there instead. I must put in some opening windows one of these days.

I do not miss Sydney summers at all.

PDW

Steamwhisperer
3rd February 2014, 12:34 PM
Ladies, ladies,
Spare a thought for those of us operating steam boilers.
Hottest recorded was 68 deg.
That was because that's where the thermometer stopped reading.
Normally in summer between 50 and 55 degrees.
Don't forget we have to manually shift up to 4 tons of wood as well.
It's ok though as our relief room gets to a chilly 37 degrees.

Phil

PDW
3rd February 2014, 12:48 PM
Ladies, ladies,
Spare a thought for those of us operating steam boilers.
Hottest recorded was 68 deg.
That was because that's where the thermometer stopped reading.
Normally in summer between 50 and 55 degrees.
Don't forget we have to manually shift up to 4 tons of wood as well.
It's ok though as our relief room gets to a chilly 37 degrees.

Phil

I knew there was a reason steam plants were *thoroughly* obsolete - and they invented new-fangled devices called 'air conditioners'.

Nice cool 20C with a bit or rain today - perfect weather for working in the shed......

PDW

welder
3rd February 2014, 02:35 PM
30 degrees in the cave work calls a factory :U

RayG
3rd February 2014, 03:07 PM
I found it a lot easier and nicer to move to a place with a decent climate. Hottest I've ever seen it on the mezzanine level of my barn is 38C and that not for long. It was sill only 27C on the ground floor so I worked down there instead. I must put in some opening windows one of these days.

I do not miss Sydney summers at all.

PDW

So, does that mean the boat isn't sailing for the tropics when it leaves Hobart? I imagined tropical islands and sandy beaches with palm trees beckoning... ( cue slide guitar and hula girls ) :)

Ray

Toggy
3rd February 2014, 04:05 PM
Phil,

Pull the other leg; you are in Ballarat!:D

Ken

Steamwhisperer
3rd February 2014, 06:21 PM
Phil,

Pull the other leg; you are in Ballarat!:D

Ken

Mind you Ken, after saying all that, it is going to be 21 tomorrow.

Phil

Gavin Newman
3rd February 2014, 06:37 PM
Sitting in form-up while they clear up an accident from the previous race, dressed in black leathers, gloves, full-face helmet and boots with the engine running 3" to the right of of me, the radiator 3" to the left and the exhaust about 1 foot behind me. The black tarmac is 3/4" below my back-side - I'm doing this for fun - right?

We tried a cool water bottle to see if it would help with the heat but the first time I braked hard 2 litres of water came flying up the hose, into the helmet and turned the helmet into a sauna - back to the drawing board :D

PDW
3rd February 2014, 08:22 PM
So, does that mean the boat isn't sailing for the tropics when it leaves Hobart? I imagined tropical islands and sandy beaches with palm trees beckoning... ( cue slide guitar and hula girls ) :)

Ray

Nah, been there, done that, wore out the T shirt years ago.

Kerguelen via Magellan Straits then the French canals via Japan, Alaska and the North American Great Lake system. Or more likely Bruny Island but dreams are free....

There's a good reason why I've fitted 31 (so far) sheets of 2400 x 1200 x 30 foil backed polystyrene insulation into this hull, and have a diesel heater. I don't like being cold either.

PDW

mcostello
4th February 2014, 03:39 AM
Worked in a glass manufacturing plant for a while. Got hired on at a steel mill because"I was used to the heat", found out there was a higher level of heat than a Glass Plant. Stood 7 meters away from a stream of molten steel about 16 CM in Dia. filling an ingot. Thought I would dry up and blow away even with a Silver coated lined insulating suit weighing about 40 lbs. Found out old timers did not wear any protection, they just turned lobster red.