PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Sydney

JayCee71
4th February 2014, 09:04 PM
Hello, I just joined this forum to learn a thing or two about woodworking. Located in the outskirts of the inner city, or the innerskirts of western Sydney, I have recently joined my local men's shed, who do a whole range of things, for both personal builds and community projects. I have no previous woodworking experience, but so far some of the guys have been most happy to point me in the right direction, particularly concerning the safe & smart use of machinery.

Ideally I plan to build some skills over time in order to make custom musical instruments, but that's a long way off for the moment. For the foreseeable future it'll be some basic projects, and whatever community stuff I'm able to get involved in.

tdrumnut
4th February 2014, 10:32 PM
Welcome aboard JayCee

Christos
5th February 2014, 08:42 AM
Welcome to the forum.

old1955
5th February 2014, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the forum.

crowie
5th February 2014, 03:45 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Jay".
There are a heap of members in Sydney and across the whole Sydney basin area.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork & the Local Men's Shed ...
Cheers crowie

Miko Zaire
5th February 2014, 10:16 PM
Hello & welcome, you have landed at a great place to get all your woodworking questions answered :)

Miko

Perfect Pens
6th February 2014, 08:57 PM
Welcome JayCee :2tsup:Looks like you are already heading on the right tracks be sure to share photos of your work :D we all like seeing pics.
Cheers
Tony.

JayCee71
7th February 2014, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I don't know if I'll post any photos of my first effort (a finger-jointed box that I tried to chisel out by hand... with plywood!) but I have big plans for a butcher's block in the next couple of weeks.

There's a list of projects that I am slating for the future, including:

A foot stool - known in the 1970's & 1980's as a 'poof', but I think the politically correct term these days is 'ottoman'.

A 16 bottle capacity crate (quite miniature) to house my annual homemade chilli sauce cookups

An elaborate cat tower for my pussycat to climb over

An MC-Escher inspired rhomboid, triple wood benchtop for a coffee table

A lab-ready 'glove box' to work on biological cultures under sterile conditions

An old fashioned 'shaker' styled bench to replace a gargantuian hi-fi cabinet in my living room

Plus whatever community projects I am able to get myself into as part of the Shed's contribution to society, but right now I'm probably a burden to such things until I build some skills. I'll probably put my two-bobs worth into the scene by sweeping floors for a while.

JJF
7th February 2014, 07:25 AM
Welcome aboard