PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying 8 chucks.

clear out
6th February 2014, 11:16 AM
Some more of Don's gear for the TTTG sale.
These are well out of my area of expertise.
I will be up the coast until the 21st but if some who is knowledgeable about these is interested in helping me I will make it worth his while.
Not worried about the 4 metal lathe chucks that pic snuck in.
H.

wheelinround
6th February 2014, 12:54 PM
Henry except for the last photo the rest are all wood chucks.

Photo 2 looks almost new seldom used with additional jaws and chuck adaptors

Photo 6 is an off set chuck used more for Ornamental turning :o:U I am drooling over it

photo 5 & 7 Nova chucks or chinese copies which would be older type using Tommy bars to open and close also has adaptors with by looks of things

The others are collect type wood chucks

powderpost
6th February 2014, 09:13 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-AU</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I will have a go...........
1. Made by teknatool, I forget the name. The chrome ring if backed off allowed the insert to tighten up on a dovetail, forcing the jaws into expansion mode. If the insert was backed off and the chrome ring tightened, it would operate in contraction mode. The four bronze jaws floated and each had two bearing points. It was supplied with two double ended "C" spanners. It was designed for use with green timber. It was the first chuck introduced by Teknatool.
2. Sorby chuck. This could be the famous Sorby 6 in 1 chuck. Includes a pin chuck, collet jaws, expansion jaws, plus a dovetail ring for clamping, plus one more that I cannot recall.
3. Collet chuck, used for spindle turning. It required a tenon to be turned on the timber and was used for open end spindle turning.
4. Teknatool super nova scroll chuck.
5. No idea
6. Could be one of the first scroll chucks introduced by Teknatool.
7. Looks like an old Sorby screw/ expansion chuck.
8. Three jaw chucks used for metal machining and a Jacobs type chuck commonly used in drills.

Interesting to note the first scroll type chuck was designed in 1811. It was first known as "the universal chuck" and later became known as "the scroll chuck"

Jim

spankingpigeon
6th February 2014, 09:15 PM
the gold one in the first 2 pics looks like it could be one of these
Limited Edition Gen 3 GP100 Deluxe Chuck Set (http://www.garypye.com/Chucks/GPW-Generation-3-Collet-and-Longworth-Chucks/Gen-3-GP100-Limited-Edition-Deluxe-Chuck-Set-p708.html)

Mobyturns
7th February 2014, 09:20 AM
the gold one in the first 2 pics looks like it could be one of these
Limited Edition Gen 3 GP100 Deluxe Chuck Set (http://www.garypye.com/Chucks/GPW-Generation-3-Collet-and-Longworth-Chucks/Gen-3-GP100-Limited-Edition-Deluxe-Chuck-Set-p708.html)

The chuck in photo 2 is rather unusual with only one cap screw per jaw - so I very much doubt that it is a GPW Gen 2.

Photo 7 looks to be a Nova Precision Midi with dedicated thread (1"x8 probably?)
Photo 5 looks to be a Nova Precision Midi with insert.

surfdabbler
10th February 2014, 01:09 PM
The largest chuck in the last photo looks a lot like one I have, although the position of the dot is slightly different. Mine has "VANCO 5" and "Made in Japan" written on top, so perhaps yours is a copy of that one, or perhaps an earlier model that didn't have the identification stamped on it.

My lathe is a converted metal lathe, so that other comment about metalwork chucks is probably correct. Unfortunately all my stuff is inherited, so I can't tell you anything more about where it came from. It's just there with the rest of the stuff.

dr4g0nfly
15th February 2014, 08:25 PM
Photo's 3 & 7 look to me like a chuck that was popular here in the UK about 15 years ago. Called the PCC2000. I've one in my shed but it does not come out and get used these days.

Photo 3 looks like it has a thread changing attachment (excert) instead of someone buying the body with the lathe thread already cut into it.

chuck1
18th February 2014, 05:46 AM
I agree with powder0post!