PDA

View Full Version : Need a sparkie to bypass Triton router speed controller

Lyle
6th February 2014, 12:28 PM
I need a sparkie to either explain how to or do it for me, to bypass the speed controller.
Newcastle/Medowie NSW.
I had a sparkie check the router after it failed. No smoke, just a few speed surges then didn't go no more :(
He said (confirmed my suspicion) that it was the controller and the armature and windings are good, as is switch. I asked him to bypass the controller but he wouldn't do it. "I couldn't do that as it is not safe, as it is a big router and it'll be too much to handle!" Hmmm alright, but when I asked what would be the difference if the controller was OK and I started the router at max speed????
Anyway long story short, I have a router that is electrically OK, but for the controller.

I've had a look through here but the only info here was to swap the brown wires at the switch, but I tried that and it didn't work.

So does anyone know a good sparkie in the Medowie/Newcastle that could bypass the controller for me?
I'm over in the UK in Jul, so maybe worth waiting and pick one up there? 40GBP versus an electrician fee???

malb
6th February 2014, 06:36 PM
Haven't been down the single speed Triton road, but if you bypass it, you loose the speed control and the soft start as they both come out of the same module. Might be OK for a table and small (under 25mm) bits, but could be a nightmare with bigger bits that need slower speed to control tip speed, or in hand held applications where the start kick would be substantial.

I have a TRA and a 30 YO 1500W Makita fixed speed, and the TRA with soft start is definitely much less surprising on start up than the old Mak. Personally not too keen on trying to grip a 2HP motor and start it.

For my money an exact replacement via GB either now or when you go over and can collect would be the better option, you should be able to swap new for old without issues, provided that the unit has been restored to standard configuration after you tried swapping wires.