PDA

View Full Version : New lathe selection

markdem
7th February 2014, 04:29 PM
Good day.
I have a dilemma. I need to choses between the following two lathes (Vicmarc VL200 and a woodfast M910 incase the links don't work)
Vicmarc - Wood Lathes, Chucks, Jaws and Accessories - VL200 SM 6 Speed (http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=532)
W685 | M910 Heavy Duty Wood Lathe | machineryhouse.com.au (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W685)

Both are great lathes but I just can't make up my mind. The woodfast has a bigger swing and a outboard attachment, but the vicmarc is a vicmarc and it is blue :)

Anyone care to help me out?

Thanks

powderpost
7th February 2014, 04:54 PM
I have been using Woodfast lathes for more than 30 years and am perfectly happy with them. Really comes down to the ford/holden type discussion.
Jim

nz_carver
7th February 2014, 05:36 PM
Vicmarc hands down it's made in Australia
There after sales service is grate and so is the service from CWS

pommyphil
7th February 2014, 07:15 PM
Vicmarc, without a moments hesitation.

Tim the Timber Turner
7th February 2014, 07:46 PM
I always say "If you want to buy your last lathe, buy a Vicmarc".:2tsup:

You are supporting Australian jobs when you buy Vicmarc.

Cheers
Tim:)

Jim Carroll
7th February 2014, 08:46 PM
Blue is a very nice color

Nuff said

fozz
7th February 2014, 08:57 PM
In the beginning there was Vicmarc and Woodfast but the last word in Australian woodlathes just has to be...Omega :2tsup::wink::U

Pat
7th February 2014, 08:58 PM
Yellow is a good colour too, another vote for the M910. I've had mine for the past 4 years. 520mm inboard, 700mm outboard with auxiliary table, 2000mm outboard with a outboard tool rest. :q:q:q:q:q

Service from the boys at Woodfast is great.

Holden vs Ford, is the correct interpretation.

chuck1
7th February 2014, 10:04 PM
it's a shame about the tailstock on the woodfast, the vicmarc wins there but why have that hole in the vicmarc?! worst case flip a coin!!!! or Buy both?

markdem
8th February 2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys,
Going to have a look at both today. Maybe a closer look will make my mind up.

Still like the woodfast simply because the bigger swing, just wish it was not yello...

markdem
8th February 2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks for that guys.

I will go today and have a look at both. Maybe seen them will help me make up my mind.
Right now I am leaving towards the woodfast simply because the swing.

Lets see how I go.

Thanks

smiife
9th February 2014, 05:22 PM
it's a shame about the tailstock on the woodfast, the vicmarc wins there but why have that hole in the vicmarc?! worst case flip a coin!!!! or Buy both?

Hi mark,
Firstly , chuckie what is wrong with the tailstock???:?
I guess the choice also comes down to how much cash
you have to spare,,,,,,,,, having said that there Is nothing
wrong with yellow,,,,,, I have had mine for 3 years with
no problems, but then I have never experianced blue!!!:roll:
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
9th February 2014, 05:52 PM
The Vicmarc in my opinion for a heap of reasons. Yes, they are an Australian company, but the casting for Vicmarc lathes is done overseas (Taiwan, IIRC). Then they are brought into Australia and machined

Willy

pommyphil
9th February 2014, 06:22 PM
Thailand Willy, along with lots of other good things :D Phil

artme
9th February 2014, 07:02 PM
MMy heart and head swing the needle to blue, my pocket would swing to yellow.

On quality I have never seen a lathe that matches the Vicmarc. I have bee to
the factory and the number of rejected bed castings is incredible. Obviously
QC is a top priority.

Also, While we were in Italy We dropped in to see Claude (La Trucilora) and have
a look at his workshop/school. Only Vicmarc!!!! Claude pointed out some of the
very fine features of their quality, including being able to rough down a square
blank while a coin the size of a 20c piece stood motionless on its edge on the
headstock!!! PBI!!!

Pat
9th February 2014, 08:02 PM
Smiife, I have played on blue, VL250 & 300 versions and still love my yellow peril.:U

It all comes down to budget, I have also played on Stubby 1000, Nova 3000/DVS, Teknatool 1000/8, Jet mini's, Leadbetter Bowl Lathe, 's Henry monster and a few others whom I cannot remember the names atm include a few anchors. I still love my yellow peril :q

Grommett
9th February 2014, 08:17 PM
And i love my green Woodfast C1000. Its old, and Its made in Oz.

Willy Nelson
9th February 2014, 11:22 PM
Okay, whilst we are declaring our love for our lathes, I will put it in the public domain, that I love my Aussie Built Durden Top Turn. Must be quite a few thousand hours we have spent together. The only blemish is a couple of nuts and bolts that vibrated loose and disappeared in the sawdust. However, is she died, I would replace her that day with a Vicmarc VL 600, in a heartbeat.(despite them not being released yet).
Sincerely
Willy

markdem
10th February 2014, 10:57 AM
OK. I have had a look at both. I must say that the vicmark is better in build quality, but only just and in places that the quality just would not matter. Things like finish of paintwork and such. I much say that it did sound "better". Not sure why but it just sounded like it was smother running. The woodfast is bigger, has a bigger motor(not that is would matter much) and has a outboard attachment.

I think I will just flip a coin :)

Thanks